I need a multi-city knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dialex

Post by dialex »

I'd suggest the Lava. From my experience, any Spyderco can be opened via the now infamous "spyder drop", but the Lava hides his cutting power (which is considerable, trust me) under a pretty cute and unagressive look.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
moeman

Post by moeman »

I was going to say the Lava, too.
I carried a cricket for years with no problems....
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

The only problem I see with the Lava is it's price. In the big city I would want something cheaper. Although I generally don't carry knives in the north east at all. The way I look tends to arise suspicion and I'd rather not carry a knife than change the way I look.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
dmrllgr

Post by dmrllgr »

Some have suggested fixed blade knives, and I believe those should not be considered. Knife laws often do not make sense, and locally I could get in more trouble for carrying a fixed blade with a two inch blade compared to a three inch folding knife.
catamount

Post by catamount »

Get a Delica 4 (under 3", adjustable pivot, inexpensive), carry it in your pocket, not clipped, and don't worry about it.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Sleeping Robot

Post by Sleeping Robot »

bh49 wrote:I think you will be safe with Kopa.
Sadly, no. My Kopa spydie-drops better than my Native, because of the extra mass in the liners and the smoothness of the action. But it looks less threatening (http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26507). Of course, if security at a baseball game wants to seize it, I'm not going into the Stadium. :-)

My Ladybug is almost impossible to open by inertia. Something with a light body and a small blade would be similar.

Best regards,
Ron
eljay

Post by eljay »

The stainless steel cricket looks pretty darn harmless and it's quite useful.
ducktaper

Post by ducktaper »

You might consider the Flatbyrd or Spydiecard, if you can find one. These guys appear to be almost like regular convention hall advertisement give-away's, can not be easily flicked open without some tweaking & lots of practice, and are very flat & concealable. Shoot, they're almost cute, yet are very strong & reliable cutting tools.
Bolster

Light Handles

Post by Bolster »

Sleeping Robot wrote:Something with a light body and a small blade would be similar.
I have been thinking along the same lines. If you could get a light handle on a heavy blade (I'm thinking FRN, no liners), it might not spyder-drop--with sufficient tuning.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

dmrllgr wrote:Some have suggested fixed blade knives, and I believe those should not be considered. Knife laws often do not make sense, and locally I could get in more trouble for carrying a fixed blade with a two inch blade compared to a three inch folding knife.

Don't know where you live dmrllgr...but fixed blades are very legal in some jurisdictions....some have no blade length restrictions either....
I think you really need to check your local laws on knife carry and possesion before you take anyone's advice...every state is different and you should make yourself aware of what the law is...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:[/B]

Don't know where you live dmrllgr...but fixed blades are very legal in some jurisdictions....some have no blade lenght restrictions either....
I think you really need to check your local laws on knife carry and possesion before you take anyone's advice...every state is different and you should make yourself aware of what the law is...Doc :D

Laws or not, walking around on the street with a fixed blade strapped to you draws attention in just about any town. Sheeple will run in fear.

The only place I've not seen it get a second glance was in the middle of nowhere in Montana where everyone considers a blade a tool, and not a weapon.
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Zatx wrote:Laws or not, walking around on the street with a fixed blade strapped to you draws attention in just about any town. Sheeple will run in fear.The only place I've not seen it get a second glance was in the middle of nowhere in Montana where everyone considers a blade a tool, and not a weapon.
Zatx.... You need to get out more....a Fixed blade doesn't have to be hanging down along the seams of your pants to be carried...there are many concealment type methods...and fixed blades come in all shapes and sizes....Once again I repeat check your state and local laws before taking anyone's advice. BTW Sheeple will run in fear of everything....the fact is if you have a need to draw a knife in Self Defense...the sheeple will be long gone....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

merciful

Post by merciful »

Cool!
Zatx wrote:Sheeple will run in fear.
Those who give up their freedom for safety will soon find that they have neither.[SIZE="-1"][/size]
dmrllgr

Post by dmrllgr »

The fact is he was looking for a knife that would be legal in almost any jurisdiction. While fixed blades may be legal in some jurisdictions, they are not legal in all jurisdictions. As far as my example, it holds true in Missouri.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

dmrllgr wrote:The fact is he was looking for a knife that would be legal in almost any jurisdiction. While fixed blades may be legal in some jurisdictions, they are not legal in all jurisdictions. As far as my example, it holds true in Missouri.

dmrllgr: I agree Missouri is a tough one on fixed blades....I know of two different cases in Missouri were a paring knife and butterknife were considered dangerous weapons: Let me see If I can find the cases and I'll post the info If I can find it....Doc :D

"Evidence that knife defendant was carrying was a paring
knife with a sharp point supported classification of knife
as bladed hand instrument readily capable of inflicting
serious physical injury or death by cutting or stabbing
person within meaning of... 571.010, and thus, issue of
whether defendant carried a 'knife' was properly submitted
to jury." (1986)

- "Butterknife used by defendant in burglary and attempted
forcible sodomy was 'dangerous instrument'..." (1993)

- "... steak knife was 'dangerous instrument' as employed by
defendant..." (1993)
hmmmm steak knife as well....Doc

Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

Can one snap open a SS kiwi? If not, that might be an answer.

And Doc, Cases like that are very contextual. If a guy wearing an Elec Co uniform is "caught" with a screwdriver and electrical tape on him, no problem. If someone else is attacking a woman with a screwdriver and has electrical tape in his pocket...I think you see my point.

Better to carry a SAK than a butter knife, unless you are a baker; or than a paring knife, unless you have a white stovepipe hat on!
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:- "Butterknife used by defendant in burglary and attempted
forcible sodomy was 'dangerous instrument'..." (1993)
Umm... a butterknife??? I'm all for charging an attempted rapist for anything they can find, but a butter knife?
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Th232 wrote:Umm... a butterknife??? I'm all for charging an attempted rapist for anything they can find, but a butter knife?
Th232: In certain states anything that is used as a weapon by the alleged criminal during the commision of a crime can be considered a dangerous weapon....Doc :D

Th232

Post by Th232 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Th232: In certain states anything that is used as a weapon by the alleged criminal during the commision of a crime can be considered a dangerous weapon....Doc :D
Uh oh... your laws are becoming more like ours!
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

I've heard of a certain male body ppart being described in some law papers as being a dangerous weapon (always at the ready to attack anything it sees---with its one eye ! :P) So, does this make us all criminals for carrying a concealed weapon ??? ;D
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *