Help Me Explain My EDC Spyder To The Officer

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Help Me Explain My EDC Spyder To The Officer

Post by Bolster »

Under the heading of "being prepared," I would like some advice regarding what to say if and when I am challenged by an officer for carrying a medium-large Spyder. So let's say the officer spots the pocket clip of the knife I'm carrying (my Yojimbo, or large Persian, or Manix) while I'm walking down a street in Los Angeles. He asks me to hand it over, examines it, and says whatever an officer says, which I imagine to be something accusatory, along the lines of "Why are you carrying this weapon?"

And I say...I say...what exactly do I say...?

Now I know some of ya are going to have fun with my question, but I hope others of you will tell me, seriously, what are the most calming and nonconfrontational answers to the officer's question that will result in (1) his thinking I'm a reasonable guy and (2) handing my knife back and telling me to be on my way?

Thanks!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Spydiman

Post by Spydiman »

Bolstermanic wrote:Under the heading of "being prepared," I would like some advice regarding what to say if and when I am challenged by an officer for carrying a medium-large Spyder. So let's say the officer spots the pocket clip of the knife I'm carrying (my Yojimbo, or large Persian, or Manix) while I'm walking down a street in Los Angeles. He asks me to hand it over, examines it, and says whatever an officer says, which I imagine to be something accusatory, along the lines of "Why are you carrying this weapon?"

Now I know some of ya are going to have fun with my question, but I hope others of you will tell me, seriously, what are the most calming and nonconfrontational answers to the officer's question that will result in (1) his thinking I'm a reasonable guy and (2) handing my knife back and telling me to be on my way?

Thanks!
"I use it to de-animate zip-ties and cardboard boxes."

:D
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

'That is not a weapon, sir, that is a tool that I use daily for recycling, food prep and opening boxes.' Reference to the knife as a tool is the important point here.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Try to look really puzzled while you say "Weapon? What weapon? Oh, you're talking about that tool. Man, I tried cutting up a Subway club sandwich with a screwdriver, and it just didn't work."

I'm glad I live out here in tornado alley, where no one cares if I carry a Manix, a Lil' Temp and an Endura. :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

I would say" Excuse me officer but your now the one carrying it." LEO's love sassy answers! :D
DRod

Post by DRod »

Percival wrote:'That is not a weapon, sir, that is a tool that I use daily for recycling, food prep and opening boxes.' Reference to the knife as a tool is the important point here.
Thats about right as I see it.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
Glock27

Post by Glock27 »

"This is a 'TOOL' that I use for lawful purposes" - Short and sweet....they'll be looking for you to ramble....as that's what bad guys typically do.
G27
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

You could always say It's keeping the other 12 I carry company!!! :p Doc :D
(Having fun...sorry couldn't resist)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
CWO

Post by CWO »

What are the knife laws in LA?
whitefeather

Post by whitefeather »

I had an officer ask me that question one time and I just laughed and told him it was just a pocket knife! (Emerson Comander) He seemed more interested in the 3 firearms I had anyway.
Jakemug

Post by Jakemug »

Tell him you carry just in case you get too hot and you need to cut your shirt sleeves off.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

"This is a tool, there are many like it, but this one is mine"..... :D sorry couldn't help it. I don't think anyone has ever given me a second look, but I'm sure in some places it may be frowned upon. I would just go with "It's a tool, not a weapon", although in reality about anything could be a weapon, need be. I've been carring a lock blade knife for so long, I don't even realize I'm carrying it, unless I somehow forget...and then I'm lost without it. I always use one daily for all kinds of knife stuff, that has nothing to do with it being a weapon, but if it came down to it, I would use it as a weapon if need be to protect myself.
In all honesty I don't know how people go about everyday lives without carrying a knife? I also carry a couple of keychain lights, and it's amazing how many times I use them a week. I'd be lost without having one on my keychain. It's also a "tool" I guess I just like being preparred as possible.
Regards Sonny
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Protection from Bear?....or Knife? Knife? That's not a Knife?...Didn't you ever see Crocodile Dundee Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

Bolstermanic wrote:Under the heading of "being prepared," I would like some advice regarding what to say if and when I am challenged by an officer for carrying a medium-large Spyder. So let's say the officer spots the pocket clip of the knife I'm carrying (my Yojimbo, or large Persian, or Manix) while I'm walking down a street in Los Angeles. He asks me to hand it over, examines it, and says whatever an officer says, which I imagine to be something accusatory, along the lines of "Why are you carrying this weapon?"

Thanks!
First of all, about 90% of the LEOs that I work with, train, or otherwise interact with are carrying some kind of "tactical folder" clipped in a front pants pocket. Now, most officers see the knife as a last ditch weapon, but primarily use the thing for cutting "Crime Scene" tape, opening evidence boxes, etc. Most of your interaction is going to hinge on what you were doing, your attitude, and appearance. If you are, as you indicate, merely walking down the street in a normal manner you will very rarely ever be stopped by an officer who notices a knife clipped to your clothing. If you are dressed in "gang banger chic" and are doing the "attitude sashay" down the street, well, you will probably get a second look.

If you are questioned, by all means describe the knife as a tool. It is also nice to be able to say, my friend so and so is a police officer and he recommended this knife because it is a great tool, is strong enough for rough "cop use," and will perform most cutting tasks that I engage in very well.

Obey the legal restrictions in regard to blade length, etc. in effect in your jurisdiction, don't carry the blades into court and other places where all weaponry is prohibited, and be respectful if questioned, and most of the time, if you are stopped it may degenerate into a "do you like and recommend this knife?"/admiration fest. Unless the officer is really overzealous, you should be fine.

In the spirit of the cop recommendation line, i might suggest that you tell the policeman that you collect Spyderco knives, just as some people collect watches or pens, and that you talked to a fellow enthusiast. So, I hereby endorse all of the blades you listed as great "cop" blades and, as a current fed, SWAT certified, federal trainer certified, former local police officer/firearms instructor, etc., recommend them to you. :cool:
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

I may be wrong, but I thought Calif law states 2" blade max? So does this mean he's SOL if he's caught with a yo or a manix?
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

Spygineer wrote:I may be wrong, but I thought Calif law states 2" blade max? So does this mean he's SOL if he's caught with a yo or a manix?

Your wrong, http://www.equalccw.com/knifelaw.html
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

All kidding aside KaliGman speaks the truth...follow his advice and all will be good....we both have very similiar backgrounds and job experience and his experience mirrors mine when it comes to Law Enforcement Agent's attitudes with regards to Knives...Doc :D
KaliGman wrote:First of all, about 90% of the LEOs that I work with, train, or otherwise interact with are carrying some kind of "tactical folder" clipped in a front pants pocket. Now, most officers see the knife as a last ditch weapon, but primarily use the thing for cutting "Crime Scene" tape, opening evidence boxes, etc. Most of your interaction is going to hinge on what you were doing, your attitude, and appearance. If you are, as you indicate, merely walking down the street in a normal manner you will very rarely ever be stopped by an officer who notices a knife clipped to your clothing. If you are dressed in "gang banger chic" and are doing the "attitude sashay" down the street, well, you will probably get a second look.

If you are questioned, by all means describe the knife as a tool. It is also nice to be able to say, my friend so and so is a police officer and he recommended this knife because it is a great tool, is strong enough for rough "cop use," and will perform most cutting tasks that I engage in very well.

Obey the legal restrictions in regard to blade length, etc. in effect in your jurisdiction, don't carry the blades into court and other places where all weaponry is prohibited, and be respectful if questioned, and most of the time, if you are stopped it may degenerate into a "do you like and recommend this knife?"/admiration fest. Unless the officer is really overzealous, you should be fine.

In the spirit of the cop recommendation line, i might suggest that you tell the policeman that you collect Spyderco knives, just as some people collect watches or pens, and that you talked to a fellow enthusiast. So, I hereby endorse all of the blades you listed as great "cop" blades and, as a current fed, SWAT certified, federal trainer certified, former local police officer/firearms instructor, etc., recommend them to you. :cool:

KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

WORKER#9 wrote:Your wrong, http://www.equalccw.com/knifelaw.html
I concur with WORKER#9. I deal with federal statutes and was a local officer on the East Coast rather than in California. From what I do know about California, unless there is a local ordinance, the knives described would be legal. California Penal Code Section 12020 defines concealed weapons, etc. Unless your knife is considered a "dirk or dagger" you seem to be good to go. The definition of dirk or dagger, in the code, is very nebulous, but is defined as a weapon that can do serious harm when stabbing. Interestingly enough, the code specifically states that a folder, in order to be considered a concealed dagger or dirk, would have to be concealed with its blade locked in the open position.

Like I said, I'm no California expert (since I said that, with my luck, I'll probably get transferred to LA tomorrow), and the code may have changed since the last time I had occasion to look at it. Lord knows they seem to ban everything else in California. If I do ever get transferred there, I will have to leave half of my guns with relatives to be compliant with local law, since most of my stuff is apparently too deadly for the West Coast.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
JD Spydo

It's a Right, Not a Privaledge

Post by JD Spydo »

I imagine most of you all are going to disagree with me. But to me this is just a simple "slam dunk". The man has a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT to carry a pocket knife in this FREE REPUBLIC in which we live. It is just that simple.

All of the laws, ordinances, codes and statutes that prohibit carrying of knives by law abiding citizenry is simply a deviation, violation and an abomination of not only our CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTs but also our GOD GIVEN RIGHTS as well. It's not a privaledge to carry a knife it is a RIGHT.

It's this simple>> We are either a Free People or we are not. And if we are not then our fighting men and women are doing their duties in vain :( And we need to get involved to restore our rights if it's not too late.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Seems simple, say that it is a a small pocketknife. Why say it is a tool and start explaining how you cut food with it? Does this really make a difference?

As long as it is under the legal limit, end of discussion. Assuming you don't slur your words and that your eyes aren't blood shot and dilated.

How often would an officer actually ask the question? If all other things are "normal" that is...