FREE SPEECH takes a major hit

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JspyEDC

FREE SPEECH takes a major hit

Post by JspyEDC »

I am almost afraid to air my thoughts on a public forum. Why, I could be fired!!

Don Imus has been ridiculing and poking fun at EVERYBODY since he went on the air in New York City 3 decades ago.

Thanks MSNBC, and CBS for chilling free speech. I never thought 2 of our major networks would cave to individuals and groups who themselves rely on the 1st Amemdment to spread their own misguided agendas.

Can't remember who said it, but it's still powerful and worth noting here in this forum...(paraphrased)

"I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death, your right to say it."
Spyderco Collector #162
rolyat1978

Post by rolyat1978 »

Don Imus does have the right to voice his beliefs/opinions, but MSNBC also has the right to can his *** for whatever reason they so choose...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

There's a difference between the right to say what you want and the license to say it wherever you please. Spyderco has a right to decide what can, and cannot, be said on this forum. Employers have the right to limit what their employees can say on company property, and in certain cases off company property but on company time. If you work for a company that has a cafeteria, break room, or employee lounge, try making a remark similar to what Imus said there, in front of a crowd, and see how long you last.

Do I think CBS and MSNBC over-reacted, sure. Do I think there's a certain degree of hypocracy in hiring somebody who attracts an audience because of the controversial things he says, then firing him for saying something controversial, sure. But that's not the same as saying they're violating anyone's right of free speech.

Not to nit-pick, but think he's been around a tad more than three decades, seems more like five or darn close to it to me. Can recall listening to him in my early teens.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Maybe you're thinking about Voltaire with that quote?

Imus' speech wasn't free; it could cost millions of dollars to CBS Radio in sponsors. Maybe if anyone upset over Imus' firing would match those lost revenues, he'd still be on the air for them.
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

Imus is still free to be offensive and insensitive. He will just have to do it for free.
EarthDog
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Thom's got it. All his big time corporate sponsorships disappeared like that. CBS/MSNBC didn't have much choice.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

That quote is attributed to Voltaire, but that exact line is a paraphrase from a letter he wrote. The exact quote is slightly different, but the idea is the same.

Media(meaning TV, Radio, etc) is not, and never will be, Free Speech. Media is a business, they are out to make money. If Don Imus makes the company money by ridiculing people, then he can stay, if he says something that offends too many people, than it hurts the company's bottom line, and they fire him. It's purely business.

Should he have been fired? No, I see little difference in what he said, compared to what any minority comedian says. But if what he says isn't going to make any money, than he's gone.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

It's interesting that blacks can call each other N****ers, but if a white person even remotely aludes to that, the world nearly stops spinning.

Imus was a bit out of line with what he said, as he offended people.

However, political correctness is bringing this country down. It's completely out of control.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Free speech is only good so far.
If you hurt or attack others with it with non truths it is not free speech.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Jimd wrote:It's interesting that blacks can call each other N****ers, but if a white person even remotely aludes to that, the world nearly stops spinning.

Imus was a bit out of line with what he said, as he offended people.

However, political correctness is bringing this country down. It's completely out of control.
Thats true,seems that everyone that hears something out of turn wants to sue.
Some areas of the county you still can use the word n_gger without anyone taking offence to it as long it is used the right way.I was kind of shocked when my great aunt in Charleston told my mother right in front of our waitress "that a fine little n_gger waitress"the girl smiled and said "Thank You mam"
I started noticing that the word was used a good bit down there with out it bothering anyone all depends on how it is used and taken.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

"I have always been among those who believed that the greatest freedom of speech was the greatest safety, because if a man is a fool, the best thing to do is to encourage him to advertise the fact by speaking.

~ Woodrow Wilson
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Folks, that word and anything pertaining to it is wrong in its purest sense! Whether it derogatory remarks on any ethnic group etc. More so than anything else, I just have a low tolerance for B.S. including my own when I feel the shoe fits. I just cannot stand ignorance! This country has a checkered past when it comes to racism and here in 2007 there is no need to continue to harbor those feelings through attacks on others for entertainment purposes. Whether it is Rap, Don Primus or who ever else! We all know at the end of the day the dollars talk! I have never listened to him and just found out that the guy existed. This situation is unfortunate all around. My friends cover various multicultural gentlemen, warriors and women from all walks of life, bad apples in the bunch does not change my feelings for anyone of these people! Don hopefully will embrace change and given another crack at it in the future with his new found knowledge of public perception. Now for me........I will just stick with more life and death issues! Take care all and God Bless! :D
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

He was over the line and firing him was likely the right thing to do, but something tells me that he'll somehow be back on the air in the not to distant future. His recent comments withstanding, he's been a huge revenue generator for his network for many many years.
Steve
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

Don Imus was hired by WFAN because he is controversial and offensive to some people, this is what made his show lucrative. For the owners to fire him now is the height of hypocrisy. For the right Rev's Sharpton and Jackson to criticize him for anything is also hypocrisy. Let's look at the detractors.

Reverend Al: Anti-White and anti-Asian racist, Anti-Semite. Does anyone remember the Tawana Brawley hoax? Freddy's Department store?, the Crown Heights riots?, the "white interlopers" comment? Yet Al is courted by all Democratic Presidential hopefuls. He is a shake down artist, a liar and a racist, yet he is given a platform for his extremist views on a daily basis by the mainstream media. Lets give Al the Mark Furman test-see if he passes. ;)

Jesse Jackson: Adulterer, ant-White racist, ant-Semite (anyone remember "Hymie Town"). He cheats on his wife producing an illegitimate child and pays off his mistress with Rainbow Coalition funds. He lies about his role on the day MLK was assassinated. Yet he too is given free and unobstructed access to the mainstream media on a daily basis to spew his racist views.

Why is it acceptable for Bryant Gumbel to say he won't watch the Winter Olympics because it is "just too white" for him. Yet he keeps his job.

Why is it acceptable for Mr. Gumbel, Oprah Winfrey and Al Roker to belong to an organization called "One Hundred Blacks in Entertainment."

Why is it acceptable for a company to be called FUBU (For Us, By Us). Exactly who is Us?

The first amendment is to protect unpopular speech, period. And I don't mean libel or yelling fire in a theater. How can a truly FREE society be so afraid of speech and ideas, not actions, ideas and speech. Some people getting their feelings hurt is a small price to pay IMHO to ensure freedom of speech in my Country. But it's just one mans opinion. Do the owners of WFAN have a "right" to fire Don Imus? Yes! But why is there a double standard?
Cheers,
Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

WOTANSON1 wrote:Don Imus was hired by WFAN because he is controversial and offensive to some people, this is what made his show lucrative. For the owners to fire him now is the height of hypocrisy. For the right Rev's Sharpton and Jackson to criticize him for anything is also hypocrisy. Let's look at the detractors.

Reverend Al: Anti-White and anti-Asian racist, Anti-Semite. Does anyone remember the Tawana Brawley hoax? Freddy's Department store?, the Crown Heights riots?, the "white interlopers" comment? Yet Al is courted by all Democratic Presidential hopefuls. He is a shake down artist, a liar and a racist, yet he is given a platform for his extremist views on a daily basis by the mainstream media. Lets give Al the Mark Furman test-see if he passes. ]F[/B]or Us, By Us). Exactly who is Us?

The first amendment is to protect unpopular speech, period. And I don't mean libel or yelling fire in a theater. How can a truly FREE society be so afraid of speech and ideas, not actions, ideas and speech. Some people getting their feelings hurt is a small price to pay IMHO to ensure freedom of speech in my Country. But it's just one mans opinion. Do the owners of WFAN have a "right" to fire Don Imus? Yes! But why is there a double standard?
Cheers,
Rob
The way I see it is that it must be OK to be Racist if you are not white.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

The problem with a rainbow is that it is a separation of specific colors in the spectrum. What Jesse Jackson (and all of us) need is a prism. Let us stop making the distinctions once and for all--from all perspectives.
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

WOTANSON1 wrote:Don Imus was hired by WFAN because he is controversial and offensive to some people, this is what made his show lucrative. For the owners to fire him now is the height of hypocrisy. For the right Rev's Sharpton and Jackson to criticize him for anything is also hypocrisy. Let's look at the detractors.

Reverend Al: Anti-White and anti-Asian racist, Anti-Semite. Does anyone remember the Tawana Brawley hoax? Freddy's Department store?, the Crown Heights riots?, the "white interlopers" comment? Yet Al is courted by all Democratic Presidential hopefuls. He is a shake down artist, a liar and a racist, yet he is given a platform for his extremist views on a daily basis by the mainstream media. Lets give Al the Mark Furman test-see if he passes. ]F[/B]or Us, By Us). Exactly who is Us?

Cheers,
Rob
Rob, you've said it PERFECTLY! Absolutely perfectly.

I'd say the double standard and reverse discrimination going on these days is one of the things that burns me up to no extent.

It's okay for one side to be blatantly outspoken and unhampered by any rules, while the other side is constantly under the microscope, illuminated by spotlights.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I say let people say what they want if ya dont like it then resolve it with violence.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Vincent wrote:I say let people say what they want if ya dont like it then resolve it with violence.
sounds like a plan... how about we mail you global priority to zimbabwe? if you survive, you can tell us what your model government looks like in person.
chinook

Post by chinook »

Vincent wrote:I say let people say what they want if ya dont like it then resolve it with violence.
Sorta like Darwin as a commentator on UFC. Blechhh!
.><CHINOOK*>