What is the "HOLY GRAIL" of Spyderco knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Darkfin

What is the "HOLY GRAIL" of Spyderco knives?

Post by Darkfin »

This is sort of a poll, but with so many to choose from, I could not fairly make it a true poll. Let's ask this question: What do you consider to be the "HOLY GRAIL" of (collectable) Spyderco knives? (Please exclude 'Q' variations and Spyderkeys.)

Or, if you feel that you cannot choose a single Spydie, perhaps you will offer your top 3 'grail-ish' Spydies?

One more caveat--you don't have to actually like or desire the(se) knife(s)! I am looking for intellectual opinions more than emotional ones.

Muchos Thankyouse!Image
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well, the most commonly cited ones are the Evolution Set, the C22 CF Michael Walker and the C27 Jess Horn. These models have two things in common, they were all introduced in the early '90s and they were all "high ticket" items from the start.

Others commonly added to the "grail" list are the 25th Anniversary Delica, C67 R (original version), the WTC Knife, and the Ramco Laguiole.

My personal grail was the Blanchard Flying Eagle Police. Not sure why, as it's not a knife I would never think of carrying, but then again, neither are five out of the eight knives above.

Of the ones normally cited, I would say the CF Walker is the most iconic, as it incorporates so many facets of Spyderco's philosophy.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

Thanks, Paul! Quick Q...it the Horn you mentioned the one w/o the spydiehole? There are several Horns, and I get 'fused. :p

Oh yeah, and I suppose you would vote for the matte CF Walker as the more grail-ish. Did Sal ever tell you why there are both matte and CF? It seems like a production issue....
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
recoil

Post by recoil »

My personal nominations for grail status.

P.I.G. Police
"Ground Zero" Rescue
Dinosaur Bone Executive gift knife

dave
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

Hi Recoil!

May I ask what the "PIG" police is? That seems too disrespectful for a Spydie. And please describe the Dinosaur set you are speaking of. I have seen neither of these. Thanks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Th232

Post by Th232 »

I believe that since The Deacon mentioned the C27, that would be the one without the Spyderhole.

The PIG model was the original Police, the words were "Pride, Integrity, Guts", but some people didn't approve, so it was changed.

As for the dinosaur bone one, I think it's the one on Spyderwa's page, around 9/10ths down on the page?
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

P.I.G. Police had
Pride
Integrity
Guts

on the blade (I think those are the words).

Never heard the story of why. I know Sal sneaks in some humor sometimes but that seems a bit out there for his business persona.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

Thanks Will (and Zen)! So the PIG was the very earliest Police model? Do you have a pic of one by any chance?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

BTW Darkfin why did you narrow the scope on your holy grail quest question?

Seems you would want all spydies available to get the best answer. As it turns out, the excluded are pretty minor for quest items but still your reasoning is interesting....or I'd be interested to hear it. ;)
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Darkfin wrote:Thanks Will (and Zen)! So the PIG was the very earliest Police model? Do you have a pic of one by any chance?
Bah the Aussie types to fast.

Go have a beer, ya fast typing Aussie!!!! :mad:

;) :D
recoil

Post by recoil »

Darkfin,

The P.I.G. Police was the original version of the Police. The blade was engraved with "Pride - Integrity - Guts". This original model has slab sides and is slightly bigger then current police models. The lock release is also placed closer to the blade. It took me 20 years to find a plain edge version in mint condition. Some people did initially object to the inscription and that may have contributed to this version being short-lived. I'm a cop and I was never offended. Spyderco has always been very LEO friendly!

The Dinosaur Bone Executive was a run of 30 that Santa Fe Stoneworks made up for Sal Glesser to give out as gifts many years ago. They came in a gift box.

dave

Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Darkfin wrote:... What do you consider to be the "HOLY GRAIL" of (collectable) Spyderco knives? ...
Two ways to find an answer:

1. Way: how rare is a Spydie? What is the common sense? What do other collectors?

2. Way: what do I think from a certain Spydie?

I've some of the so called 'holy grails' but for my person the most collectible Spyderco are two: C15 Bob Terzuola + C19 Bob Terzuola Jr., both in plain, both with aluminium handles (I don't have even one!). Why you might ask? Because with C15 I think on 'first model uniques' like first collaboration, first aluminium handle, first ATS-34, ... and the C19 is part of this family :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
JD Spydo

Never ending search

Post by JD Spydo »

OK I'll have to narrow it down to 3 because there are still a few that I haven't traded at one time or another. They are:
The plain edged, S30V Gunting (supposedly only 100 made)
Titanium POLICE model
C-27 Jess Horn Jigged bone ( both variations)
Also there is an orange Remote Release that I almost won on Ebay once. However another Forum member beat me out of it :o
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

The Anniversary Delica.I wish a 1000 times that I would have gotton one while I could have.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

Currently :D My top Three CF Walker, CF Police,and Big Calypso.
The General

Post by The General »

Large Caly plain edge
SS Native plain edge
plain edge large c16 goddard in micarta
My real name is Wayne :D
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

The General wrote:... plain edge large c16 goddard in micarta
I never heard that such a knife exists; I only know from the C18 Goddard Jr. in plain. Do you have some infos for me? Thanks! :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
spyderwa

Holy Grail Knives

Post by spyderwa »

The #001 Two-screw Worker has to be top of the list. I believe Sal has a two-blade Civilian. There are some lucite prototypes in Spyderco posession that would have to be very cool. Any white-handled knife is uncommon. The TTZ Probe is rare, (only seen one for sale). The Pre-Diver is also very hard to find. I think that one of the rarest Spyderco knives is the one that made it to Mount Everest, (Worker). At the end of the day the real Holy Grail knife is the one that you have in your pocket that cuts a seatbelt and saves a life, or spreads some peanut butter when you are hungry.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Website
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
The General

Post by The General »

[quote="Peter1960"]I never heard that such a knife exists]

http://www.chuckhawks.com/spyderco_godd ... _chart.htm

I am amazed! It turns out that no plain edge C16 knives were made according to this link! :eek:

No wonder I was never able to find a plain edge C16... :o

I got a grey FRN Goddard in plain edge though! :D

And the C16S :D
My real name is Wayne :D
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Boy, there are so many to choose from! But to narrow it down to three, I would have to go with:

1. Blue Lum (surprise, surprise) :rolleyes:

2. Original "R"

3. Ti Herbst