Spyderco Mule Team Details

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

Guys, I'm sure Kristi and Sal won't hold you to your email "commitments" before providing a price point! They are trying to gauge interest! So I recommend you email away if you have ANY interest, and do not hesitate to include your max $ commitment level, as that information is undoubtedly important to them as well.

I am thinking this might just be the project that brings some of us that are on the knifemaking bubble into the fold....
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

For all concerned of the price, here is the closest that Sal could predict the cost:

"Good question Joe. That's why I want to do a test run. Some steels cost $6-$8 per lb. Some cost $22-$25. I would guess the blade for this piece will be a lb. Some steels grind in one pass (D2), some take 4 (S90V), processing costs will vary greatly. Some are oil quenched and must be cleaned, etc.

The only way that I've come up with is to monitor costs, add a small margin and post the price. That's where the rubber will meet the road, and that will determine the viability of the project."

Last thoughts:
I will never be able to afford the opportunity to test these steels any other way. I hope this program has legs so I can get my hands on as many exotic steels as possible. This will be the way I learn what the different steels can really do.
>>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
Sal Glesser
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I see the pics....but what happened to the idea of a Wharncliffe...I would be interested in individual models.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

I think this would be way cool. I might participate fully depending on projected pricing. Will these come with grips or are they project blanks to embellish as we see fit? Sorry in advance if these questions have already been answered at BFC.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

What you see is what you get. One piece of flat steel, shaped, ground and drilled. I figure to make one set of grips that I can move from blade to blade ;) .

I'm a folder guy myself. I have hardly used a fixed blade knife in years, but I am in for two each, even if I have to sell my truck to pay for them :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Kristi, I'm having trouble with my e-mail. I wanted to make sure that if you didn't get my e-mail, you know I want to sign up on a piece by piece basis ( money questions).

I'm really looking foreward to these and don't want to miss them. mastiffone@hotmail.com if you need anything.

If you need any volunteer help let me know. I'll donate time to the project if needed. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Th232 wrote: Umm... sorry to tell you this Scott, but it looks more like a Lil' Temp FB more than a Swick :( .

I can see why they did it, but I found it a pity as well, for the record.
Still works for me. :cool:

The goal is not to have the "perfect knife" anyway. The whole goal of this is to try out different steels. In the end, I could care less what it looks like as long as it has a blade. ;)
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
TheSavageRabbit

Post by TheSavageRabbit »

I'm in for one and, depending on the price estimate, in for all. How about a cord wrapped handle? Just a thought.
I strive to be the man my dog thinks I am.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

hi kristi.

i'm interested, but leery about sending an email of interest without a better sense of the price. i'm also curious about size of the blades...
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

clovisc wrote:hi kristi.

i'm interested, but leery about sending an email of interest without a better sense of the price. i'm also curious about size of the blades...
3mm thick, blade 3.5 inches long.

Sal or Kristy can you confirm the dimensions?
>>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
Sal Glesser
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

SeanH wrote:3mm thick, blade 3.5 inches long.

Sal or Kristy can you confirm the dimensions?
are there to be scales on this puppy?
Th232

Post by Th232 »

clovisc wrote:are there to be scales on this puppy?
Nope, just a steel blank, to keep the costs down. Although I'm pretty sure we've got some talented members here who can create scales *cough* STR *cough*.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I would be interested in individual models.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
SpEcTeR

Post by SpEcTeR »

I would be interested in more than one.

Thank you.
disorder

Post by disorder »

interested. wrote also to the provided address
cc #141
http://www.gnm.it - graphic design
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

email sent
hornshwangler

Post by hornshwangler »

Great idea Sal and thanks for making these available to us. I'm in for the series and the email is sent.

Dan
The Dude Abides.
liberty911

Post by liberty911 »

I would be in for a couple. I think that it would be fun to try out some different handle combinations on my own. I have been thinking about getting a knife kit for some time now, and this would be better than the blades I have been looking at.
The General

Post by The General »

I am in! :)

I will do the whole series
My real name is Wayne :D
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

I might be in but since I am banned from blade forums I can't see the link. :D

So guess I need to know more about it. :confused: