The Mystery Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

Bob7 thanks for the info. I would love a spyderco custom shop.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
spyderwa

Worker 2000

Post by spyderwa »

Worker 2000 rings a bell. Not sure if it was one or two or ? made. Very interesting find. We should know for sure in two weeks. I think we need a Delica 4 Worker 2007. What do you think?

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Page
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

spyderwa wrote:Worker 2000 rings a bell. Not sure if it was one or two or ? made. Very interesting find. We should know for sure in two weeks. I think we need a Delica 4 Worker 2007. What do you think?

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Page
Yes, we do need a Delica 4 Worker 2000!
Good idea Dave! ;) :cool:
Did you do a search on BF for Worker 2000?
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

:D hey -- i was just trying to make some noise about the mosquito on a thread a couple days ago!!!!! :D

i'd love to see this sort of blade in a D4 handle... especially with colored FRN scales...
bob7

Post by bob7 »

The Worker model has always been one of my favorites. I've a got a plain edged one w/ the gin-1 steel; it has incredible lockup for being so old. I carried it quite often. That mosquito would be bad a He** in the worker, delica, hunter, ect. size knife.
bob7
spyderwa

Worker 2000

Post by spyderwa »

The knife in question is the famous, (or infamous), Worker 2000. Through a complicated series of events this knife was misplaced for seven years. Finding it was a one in a million coincidence. It will soon be reunited with the original owner. Now we just need to make another Worker 2000, or four for the search party that discovered it. Do we start with the Delica 4? What about a waved D4 Worker? The possibilities.....hmmm.......

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Page
bob7

Post by bob7 »

If you all want to make a D4 look like a worker or a mosquito why don't you contact Tom Krein, the custom knifemaker, who had been taking orders on regrinding factory knives for flat grinds and/or thinner edges. I believe he is charging a very reasonable $35 per knife. Regrinding a d4 to a mosquito would probably be a lot more work, however.

spyderwa,
About the original owner, if Sal had done something like that for me all those years back I'd sure be glad you tracked it down for me. Good on You :spyder: .
bob7
MissLilly

Worker 2000

Post by MissLilly »

I am very happy the knife is going back to it's owner. I am just sorry it took this long.

From what I can figure out from reading from the archives and talking to Spyderwa, the knife was on loan to my father in March of 1999 for photographs. My dad died in September of 1999 and the knife was packed and put in storage for 7 years. Spyderwa, Fellyjr, and puyallupknifegu stumbled across it this weekend. It was in a Delica box along with 10 other Delica boxes. Who knows how long it would have been packed away if they didn't stumble across it. I contacted the owner right away and he is very happy to have it back.

It is a very cool looking knife but I never would have known the signifigance of it if it wasn't for such dedicated Spyderco enthusiast. You guys are the best. :)
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

I am glad to be part of the recovery team that found this gem and am glad that it is going back to it's owner. I think we should nickname this knife "The Prodigal Worker 2000". ;) :)
Congrats to MDP! I'm very happy for you. :) What a long wait to get this baby back!! :eek: :D
You have seven years worth of cutting to catch up on, so don't cut everything at once! ;) :D
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Wow, that is a complicated series of events. :eek:

On a seperate note, now that is a needle tip! again with the :eek:
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

[quote="fellyjr"]I am glad to be part of the recovery team that found this gem and am glad that it is going back to it's owner. I think we should nickname this knife "The Prodigal Worker 2000". ]

I am very happy to be part of the recovery team as well!! I can't think of a better way to spend time w/a few fellow forumites who happen to be good friends!! We even had coffee while we were sorting knives!! It don't get much better than that!!! :D :p

Congrats MDP!!! It's not every day that one gets a knife or gets a knife back that has such a cool story behind it!!!

Tim
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
spyderwa

Farewell

Post by spyderwa »

I hate to see the little guy go. After all, it did bite Felly. :p Perhaps it has developed a rudimentary form of intelligence. We must clone him, (or her?). The only question is Delica 3 or Delica 4 for the donor body.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Page
Puyallupknifegu

spyderwa wrote:I hate to see the little guy go. After all, it did bite Felly. :p Perhaps it has developed a rudimentary form of intelligence. We must clone him, (or her?). The only question is Delica 3 or Delica 4 for the donor body.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Page

That's easy, spyderwa!! You do what I do when I can't decide between two things, you get them both!!! LOL!!

Tim :D
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

spyderwa wrote:I hate to see the little guy go. After all, it did bite Felly. :p Perhaps it has developed a rudimentary form of intelligence. We must clone him, (or her?). The only question is Delica 3 or Delica 4 for the donor body.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Page
I must have done something bad that day to deserve the bite, huh? :eek: I do think it sensed that someone other than it's owner was handling it and it got a little cantankerous! :D
All kidding aside, I would like to see the Worker 2000 fitted to a D4 handle, preferably in a different color than black. Like a special color, designated specially for the W2000. Any suggestions?
Puyallupknifegu

fellyjr wrote:I must have done something bad that day to deserve the bite, huh? :eek: I do think it sensed that someone other than it's owner was handling it and it got a little cantankerous! :D
All kidding aside, I would like to see the Worker 2000 fitted to a D4 handle, preferably in a different color than black. Like a special color, designated specially for the W2000. Any suggestions?
I think it was cantankerous because it had been in that box for 7 years!!! LOL!

Ohh yah, Felly!! I vote for Burgundy!!! Or maybe a different shade of blue!!!!

Whooohoooo!

Tim :D
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

Yeah, the story of the Worker2000 is only getting better....

Like a fine wine...
Marion David Poff
Banned

If ewe would lick to reed aboat it...

http://web.archive.org/web/200210191701 ... 00224.html
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Marion David Poff wrote:If ewe would lick to reed aboat it...

http://web.archive.org/web/200210191701 ... 00224.html

Just did, good reading, funny too.
How come you lost it?
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Marion David Poff
Banned

I sent the knife to James K Mattis for images, and then he died, and I thought I had lost it.....
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Very cool story. Glad you got your knife back.

Now, what's it take to convince the folks at Spyderco to do a Sprint Run? ;)