Multi-tool Recommendation

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

I can recommend any of the large frame Powerlock models, the S60 and it's variants S61, S62 etc. I recently got back-ups for my father in law and myself. The S60 opens up something like a Bali, and is adjustable for how easily you want it to open.

The compound leverage along with the hard wire cutter is real good for wire fence and the like, with which I have fouled the cutters in short order on other multis (several Gerbers and Leatherman) in the past.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
CQC

Post by CQC »

I like the one handed opening on the sog and I like the clip on the leatherman and the number of tools it come with, the sog only comes with a few. what a predicament
money cant buy knifes
Makeshift

Post by Makeshift »

I've owned a lot of multi tools and I have to go with SOG as well. A smaller alternative to the Powerlock is the SOG "Pocket Powerplier". Good luck!

Jeffrey
kgriggs8

Post by kgriggs8 »

I don't consider SAKs multi-tools anymore. Now, I think a mutitool has to have some sort of pliers to be considered.

I have had a bunch and I like two. One is the Gerber and the other is my newest, a Leatherman Surge.

I love the fact that he Gerber can be opened one handed very fast by just flicking your wrist. Everything else about it is average but that method of opening is so handy that it makes all the other flaws less important.

The Surge is a higher quality tool but it opens like all the Leathermans, slow and with two hands. The diamond file on the Surge is great, the single best tool on any mutil-tool I have owned. The Surge seems to have everything I need and nothing I don't. If it opened like the Gerber, I would be in heaven.
kgriggs8

Post by kgriggs8 »

i have a SOG Powerlock as well and I find it rather cheap and clumsy compared to the Leatherman quality or the Gerber opening system.

It is also the biggest and most bulky multi-tool I have owned. The locked tools fail to remain locked somtimes but this also happens with the Gerber.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Simple Man wrote:I can recommend any of the large frame Powerlock models, the S60 and it's variants S61, S62 etc. I recently got back-ups for my father in law and myself. The S60 opens up something like a Bali, and is adjustable for how easily you want it to open.
You had me at this statement :cool:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
CQC

Post by CQC »

I think I'll just go with the LM wave. Unless you all can convince me otherwise. So what actually goes wrong with the leathermans when its brakes
money cant buy knifes
Makeshift

Post by Makeshift »

I've never had a leatherman tool break on me, but I can tell you that it's a pain to open up the pliers on my Wave. The serrated knife is also rather "funny". Sometimes it comes out with ease (by thumb) and other times it's almost a fight to get it out.

The fit and finish of all of my SOG tools far exceed those of any other multi tools I have owned.

It might be a good idea to try and handle a few first before making your purchase.

Jeffrey
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Don't know about LM breaking, but I've killed a few gerbers in my time.

Usually someone would hand me a gerber when I asked for pliers until I'd use them on a solid bolt, squeeze, put pressure on it, and snap one of the plier pivots out of the handles. Thats when I started carrying my own multi on me all the time and not just in my stuff.

Oddly enough, the only brand I've consistantly broken is gerber :confused: Numerous pair of those black/red things that slide out the front, gerber gator, and a recoil (which is why I gave my other 2 pair away at work).

I've heard of lots of ppl breaking thier screwdrivers on LM, but thats usually prying with it.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

On the LM I had, the cutters fouled on barbed wire and then the pliers wouldn't open without some force. My in-laws were putting some cattle in a field that previously held hogs, so we went around all the fence rows cleaning the loose barbed wire and generally picking up stuff the cattle would cut themselves on. I had just bought the LM that morning, so I figured this was the perfect chance to try it out. The first piece of wire I came to dented the cutters to the point that they interfered with each other when they closed. I took it back that afternoon and went back to the Gerber. In it's defence, the Gerber did the same thing, but not as bad. Nothing has hurt the SOG.

On my suggestion, my father-in-law picked up a SOG and after he couldn't tear it up, I was impressed. I got one myself and have been sold ever since. I just recently picked up two more off e-bay for backups for us both.

I have looked at the LM and Vic since, but even though they are a bit more refined, I don't think they are as strong. Gerbers don't even make the class IMO. The one hand opening, the proven strength, Compound Leverage, and the ability to modify the tools to my liking has me sold on the SOG.

I carry a separate knife for cutting (obviously), and use the SOG for pretty much anything I don't want to use the E4 on. Most of the time, the pliers and screwdriver are what gets used the most. I'm good, (or bad, however you want to look at it) about prying with the flat screwdriver and bottle opener. The Phillips is still in good shape also, it is usually the second to go, after the cutters.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
CQC

Post by CQC »

I think i'll just stick with my Native III and keep a screwdriver close by for now. Another thing is those multitools are really heavy compared to my spydie. None of these brands (sog, leatherman) are perfect for me, I guess spyderco has really spoiled me. Ok then, thanks everyone for your contribution.
money cant buy knifes
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

CQC wrote:any recommendations on a multi-tool
My favorites are the original Leatherman Tool and the new model Wave.
Steve
SpydercoKnut

Post by SpydercoKnut »

I carry the SOG EOD Powerpliers. It opens up like a bali-song and all you have to is flip it. I have had Leathermans, but they are a bear to open.

:spyder:
Lusting for a Spyderco in A2 or 154cm

:spyder:
scolby

Post by scolby »

Leatherman Charge Ti - very comfortable grip, easy to use main blades, decent screwdriver set up and brilliant interchangeable lanyard loop or pocket clip.
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur
AUXCOM

Post by AUXCOM »

I really dig the Leatherman CRUNCH. I really find the vise grip useful. A good place to see it, and other multitools is here http://www.multitool.org/
" As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17
ml2sjw

Post by ml2sjw »

It does depend on what you want to do with the multitool, but if you already have a proper blade on you I'd whole heartedly recommended the swiss minichamp

Ok so you're not going to be doing any major wood work with it or any "real" work tasks but if you want scissors a bottle opener a screw driver etc with you can't go wrong with this one.

Quality is excellent, provided you don' try to do something it is not designed to do it won't break on you and the blades hold a decent edge and at six centimetre long when closed you're hardly notice your carrying it.

I have rarely been without mine in since getting one a couple of years ago, and over that period of time it have proved its worth countless times.
JD Spydo

Spyderco: Multi-Tool potential unheard of

Post by JD Spydo »

One of my biggest wishes for 2007 is that Spyderco would seriously consider drawing up plans for a more conventional Multi-Tool. Yes I wish that they would make a Multi-Tool similar to the Victorinox SWISS TOOL or even one of BUCK's better handyman styled "all in one" type tools.

The Spyderench is so ingenious that I would be willing to bet that they could concoct a new Multi-Tool that would leave the others in the mud.

Now don't misunderstand me I always want the Spyderench to be available too. But I can just imagine the finite details that they would go to for a deluxe Multi Tool. Is anyone with me on this?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!