The Mystery Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fellyjr

The Mystery Knife

Post by fellyjr »

Who can tell me about this knife? Is it a production piece or a custom made piece. Spyderwa and I were over at some friends tonight and this was found inside a Delica box. Dave does think he has the answer, but we thought it interesting to post some pic's to see what info might come up regarding this mysterious knife. Does the Mosquito ring a bell with anybody? :confused:

Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

Excellent pics there Felly!! That sure is an interesting piece. I think I should also mention that the top swedge is sharpened!!! And like the pics show, it is a Delica handle. :)

Tim
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Stryke

Post by Stryke »

Werent the mosquitos smaller ?

a delica version :eek: :cool: , whatever it is way thats way cool
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Puyallupknifegu wrote:Excellent pics there Felly!! That sure is an interesting piece. I think I should also mention that the top swedge is sharpened!!! And like the pics show, it is a Delica handle. :)

Tim
Yes Tim, I know first hand how sharp the swedge is on this one! It wouldn't have been as interesting an experience without the Spyder-bite. :eek: Funny thing is, it hardly bled at all. :confused: :o
Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

fellyjr wrote:Yes Tim, I know first hand how sharp the swedge is on this one! It wouldn't have been as interesting an experience without the Spyder-bite. :eek: Funny thing is, it hardly bled at all. :confused: :o

LOL!!! Too bad I wasn't still there to see that one!! Not like the other spyderbite you got at lunch the other day, eh? hehehe!! Ok, I'll stop teasing you...I'm sure one of my little spyder children will bite me in the next day or so now... :p

Tim
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Puyallupknifegu wrote:LOL!!! Too bad I wasn't still there to see that one!! Not like the other spyderbite you got at lunch the other day, eh? hehehe!! Ok, I'll stop teasing you...I'm sure one of my little spyder children will bite me in the next day or so now... :p

Tim
AHEM!........UHHHHHH.........SSHHHHH!! :o :o
Better watch out for the rabid Ladybug you just picked up! ;) :p :D
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Mosquitoes were smaller, and the blade looked more like a pin, than a blade. That's something else. Never seen it before.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

smcfalls13 wrote:Mosquitoes were smaller, and the blade looked more like a pin, than a blade. That's something else. Never seen it before.
What's the story behind the Mosquito? I had never heard of it before tonight. :confused:
lerman

Post by lerman »

this is the Mosquito, it's a ladybug, i think it was only for spyderco employs.
(not my pic,not my knife)
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

A modified Delica 3, blade altered to be a Worker blade.
Nicely done, clean work.
If you want a extreme sharp tip, this is the way to go.
Someone knew very well what he was doing.
I doubt if there is any collector vallue but sure a nice piece to have for a true knifenut.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
spyderwa

Mystery knife

Post by spyderwa »

I was wrong on the Mosquito connection. It has been a while since they were discussed and I had forgotten that they were based on the Ladybug. This knife looks like something that was modified at the U.S. Spyderco factory. I am basing that on where we found it and from where it came. I suspect it was made as a special gift for a dealer or dealers. The finish matches the Delica's natural blade finish perfectly. I had to really look closely to see signs of modification. While I am sure that it started his life as a plain-edge Delica, it sure got some very special attention. Felly Jr. can tell you that when I first saw it I gasped in surprise. We should be able to know more within a couple of weeks. One last thing about this little guy. It is sharp top and bottom.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Page
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Just curious if there were any "factory" spydercos that had the top swedge sharpened like the one you pictured? I remember seeing one on the bay with that same blade style? THX
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Yep, as has been mentioned already, the Mosquito was a modified Ladybug. I believe it was made to be a specialized SD piece. I'm almost positive I've handled the Mosquito in that pic (I recognize the lanyard work! :D ). The surprising thing is that the edge on the Moquito wasn't that sharp, it's just a really strong and really sharp needle-tip.

That Delica looks modified by an ELU, a very skilled ELU, but I can't remember even rumors about such a variation of the 98 Delica.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Think I answered my own question, that blade is similar to by black worker.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Will be interesting to hear Sal's take on this piece. Could be an "escaped" concept model, something made up at Sal's request for a friend, a "lunchtime" project of a Spyderco employee for personal amusement, or just the work of a skilled craftsman not associated with the company at all.
SteelDragon wrote:Think I answered my own question, that blade is similar to by black worker.
Yes, just to confirm the swedge on some of the early Workers was sharpened. That was later stopped, possibly due to concerns about its safety, possibly because some areas forbid the carry of double-edged knives.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

Wow very cool. If its a mod its very well done. I can't wait to hear the story behind this one.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
Ted

Post by Ted »

lerman wrote:this is the Mosquito, it's a ladybug, i think it was only for spyderco employs.
(not my pic,not my knife)
(my pic,not my knife)

;)
dialex

Post by dialex »

Huh? Someone took a Delica (III) and reshaped its blade like the C01's.
He would have better taken a ProGrip instead, this way it would have beeen a true FRN Worker ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
bob7

Post by bob7 »

Hello,
It looks the Worker 2000 model made for a Marion David Poff after he made enough noise about it back in the old days at B****forums. I believe Sal said his son ground it from a stock delica. It was a one time deal model. Sure wish spyderco had a custom shop :) .
bob7
JD Spydo

Mosquito: very rare

Post by JD Spydo »

I had also heard that the Mosquito was a special blade done for only Spyderco employees and a very few dealers. It puzzles me however with the uniqueness of the design why they didn't go public with it :confused:

It would have been a great seller for Spyderco I'm sure. I think even a bigger version would have been great also.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!