Which Operating System Do YOU Use?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.

Which OS do You Use?

Some form of Win...DOH!s
71%
Mac OS
18%
Linux
8%
Something not mentioned
3%

Total votes: 73

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Guess I must be either very lucky, or just more sensible that some folks about what I download and install. Have been running Win XP since shortly after it was released and have never had an O/S related problem. Couple hardware failures, but only the most rabid of the anti-MS bigots would suggest Windows was responsible for them. Going back a bit further, in the several years I ran Win 98 I only had one lockup that was not caused by either hardware issues or code I had written.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ted

Post by Ted »

Windows Vista rulez!

Very few people appreciate the complexitiy and intelligence of the Microsoft OS'es. I'm glad that I do ...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/techne ... staKernel/
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/techne ... staKernel/
Padawan

Post by Padawan »

dedguy wrote:You must be careful though to not become one of those @sshole mac users who tries to push his OS on everyone else and looks down upon those that don't. This sort of mac user kept me away from macs for years. That and OS9 sucked.

I suppose that's true, but you also have keep in mind how many Windows users feel compelled to say to Mac users, "Macs are stupid" or "Macs are slow", or "Why would you want a Mac?"

You'd be surprised how often you get a response like that when someone asks you what sort of computer you have. And the fact is, it's often hard not to explain the virtues of Mac OS when a Windows user is experiencing some sort of problem or is talking about which anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-everything application is his or her favourite.

Oh, and while I agree that OS X is leaps ahead of 9, I wouldn't go so far as to say it "sucked", at least no more than the Windows version of the same era.
Ted

Post by Ted »

One thing that I'm pretty sure of is that if the installed base of Mac or Linux would be as big as Microsoft currently is, that they would experience the exact same problems. All operating systems are vulnerable to virusses (unwanted stuff in general).
silverback

Post by silverback »

Ted wrote:One thing that I'm pretty sure of is that if the installed base of Mac or Linux would be as big as Microsoft currently is, that they would experience the exact same problems. All operating systems are vulnerable to virusses (unwanted stuff in general).
No argument here. No one ever said that OSX is bulletproof, I am aware that it's just that no one is taking aim at it. Regardless, let me state that my problems with Windows had nothing to do with Viruses. And please do not mistake my comments as attacks on Windows. It's not that I hate Windows, just that I like OSX so much. :)
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

I've only been a Mac user for 5 years, with the rest of my life being raised on Windows machines. I think most OS X users are Pro-Mac rather than Anti-Windows. They don't really HATE Windows, as most OS X users are not fortunate enough to have OS X at work, so they do experience Windows and do see it has some bonuses. I think the majority just feels they've "found" something better and wants to share that with friends. Some also get defensive because so many people have these preconceived notions of what a Mac is. People use a Mac for a few hours and think they understand the OS.

As for OS9, sucking? I don't think so. If you're going to compare OS X to OS 9, yes, but you're talking about different eras of computers.
ASA NISI MASA
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

For me, being a software test analyst...it depends :) Desktop at work is XP/SP2, home - win2K. Test centre runs the gamut from Unix to WIN2K3 R2 64 bit depending on product. No immediate plans for Vista, though we've had it since pre-Beta - too much other stuff ahead of it.

- gord
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

The Deacon wrote:Guess I must be either very lucky, or just more sensible that some folks about what I download and install. Have been running Win XP since shortly after it was released and have never had an O/S related problem. Couple hardware failures, but only the most rabid of the anti-MS bigots would suggest Windows was responsible for them. Going back a bit further, in the several years I ran Win 98 I only had one lockup that was not caused by either hardware issues or code I had written.
System stability has a lot to do with how you use your computer. Your average web/Office user will experience far less in the way of issues than a gamer, graphic designer, video editor, etc. Those sorts of software are much more demanding to system resources than the sort of program the (now) average computer user uses. In the Windows 95 days I would experience occasional crashes, possibly once or twice a week. Windows 98 was *very* unstable crashing on me multiple times a day and requiring frequent reboots. Windows 2000/XP was a godsend and to this day a very stable OS as it was built on the bones of Windows NT which was always a far superior OS to the '95 family (95, 98, ME). Windows 2000 and XP I could run for months without a system crash. I don't know too much about Vista but my brief exposure with it trying to help my dad with his PC gave me the feeling of Windows 98 all over again.

As far as OS9 sucking for me that whole era was a dark period of Apple. Granted OS9 was better than 98 but I feel it was the Windows 98 of the mac world. It wasn't terribly stable and gave me an unexplainable icky frustrated feeling when trying to use it.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Padawan wrote:I suppose that's true, but you also have keep in mind how many Windows users feel compelled to say to Mac users, "Macs are stupid" or "Macs are slow", or "Why would you want a Mac?"

You'd be surprised how often you get a response like that when someone asks you what sort of computer you have. And the fact is, it's often hard not to explain the virtues of Mac OS when a Windows user is experiencing some sort of problem or is talking about which anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-everything application is his or her favourite.
Funny, I rarely, if ever hear Windows users call Macs or Linux by disparaging names. On the other hand, it seems like almost every Mac and Linux devotee feels compelled to insult Windows. You need look no further that the OS names in this poll to see that.
Paul
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

The Deacon wrote:Funny, I rarely, if ever hear Windows users call Macs or Linux by disparaging names. On the other hand, it seems like almost every Mac and Linux devotee feels compelled to insult Windows. You need look no further that the OS names in this poll to see that.
I've been on both sides of the debate and there's plenty of name calling on both sides. I don't like to pick sides. I say use what you're comfortable with or what you need to use to get your job done. An operating system is just a tool to do things. It's not a way of life.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dedguy wrote:I say use what you're comfortable with or what you need to use to get your job done. An operating system is just a tool to do things. It's not a way of life.
Amen to that! I must admit I envy those with enough "mental flexibility" to use more than one O/S regularly. Am having a hard enough time right now trying to work in both a procedural language and an object oriented one to further complicate my life. For the record, while not a gamer, graphics designer, or video editor, I do "play with" Oracle development tools at home, and they're both memory and processor intensive. Am rather amazed at how smoothly they run on XP-HE since they're not certified for it.
Paul
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Like I said, the NT based windows OS's are very stable. Windows 98 and ME where a nightmare though.
dedguy.net
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

The last thing I'd call any Windows OS is stable. Some distros may be more stable compared to other Windows distros, but overall I would never say they are more stable than various Linux distros or OS X. I'd add that XP and Vista are major improvements over the past versions of Windows that subsequently lead me to look for alternatives.

I have Vista on my MacBook and I will say that I'd be overjoyed if I were a Windows user. Windows does have it's uses, as over 90% of the world uses it, there can't be anything catastrophically wrong with it.

As Ted pointed out, a major reason for less problems for Linux and OS X is the fact that 90%+ of the world uses Windows. Obviously you have less malicious people using Linux and OS X because you have less users total. You can't hold that against Linux or OS X though. That makes it all the better IMO.
ASA NISI MASA
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

Apple Man, through and through. 20 inch iMac running OS 10.4.8 Tiger.
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Slvgx wrote:Obviously you have less malicious people using Linux and OS X because you have less users total. You can't hold that against Linux or OS X though. That makes it all the better IMO.
Or you have most, if not all of the maliciious people using Linux, OS X, etc, and having the good sense not to sh!t where they eat.
Paul
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

The Deacon wrote:Or you have most, if not all of the maliciious people using Linux, OS X, etc, and having the good sense not to sh!t where they eat.
I suppose that's entirely possible too. I'm not sure of the numbers, or even if there are reliable sources that show the people who create malicious viruses etc., versus what OS they use. I doubt that most or all of the malicious people use alternative operating systems and are so disgruntled to the point they try and harm Windows. I'm sure it's happened, but saying most if not all is a bit harsh IMO.

It makes sense that Windows has to deal with more attacks than other operating systems. If someone had it in them to make some horrible virus, of course they'd want it to get to the most people out there, which is not going to be the few million Mac/Linux/BSD users, it's going to be the billions of Windows users. I just don't think you can hold that against OS X/Linux/BSD etc. That is a major bonus in my opinion. Most Windows users have gone through the ordeal of having to clean out viruses, spyware, etc. I know I read a survey recently, I wish I had the source, but it said the avg. Windows user spends about 10 hours a month trying to clean up the system from various things they picked up online over the month. In the 5 years that I've been running OS X I've never had a single virus or any spyware. I bet if OS X had 90% of the market, then I wouldn't be able to say that. But that's what I mean, you can't really hold that against the smaller operating systems, from a user standpoint it's great.
ASA NISI MASA
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

The security of an OS is important but not the most important aspect for me. Ease of use and available software is. Something that is always brought up from a Windows perspective is how little software is available for the Mac OS. This may have been true several years ago but these days is only really true for some games and small software packages. The thing I rarely hear mentioned is all the great software that's only available for OS X. Applications like Textmate and Quicksilver I can no longer function without.
dedguy.net
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

dedguy wrote:Quicksilver I can no longer function without.
How long have you been a QS user? It's by far and away my favorite app for OS X. I'd love to see Apple make the new Spotlight more like QS (a bit more efficient). Almost everyone I know IRL is a Mac user. As I've been a user for over 5 years, I've talked to my friends and let them play with my Mac until they bought their own, yet none of them will use QS. I may have even mentioned it to you on here before? It has a heavy learning curve, but I can't live without it. I even have a dedicated flash drive that I carry in my pack for when I go over to help out on a friend's Mac. I have different "levels" I use my computer at. When video editing/encoding I drop every app using resources that I don't need, and I can't bring myself to drop QS even then (it can be quite a resource hog). I LOVE LOVE LOVE QS.
ASA NISI MASA
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I've been using QS since I've been using macs (about 1.5 years). I can't really use a computer these days without QS. When I do I feel like an idiot.
dedguy.net
Gollum

Post by Gollum »

dedguy wrote:I've been using QS since I've been using macs (about 1.5 years). I can't really use a computer these days without QS. When I do I feel like an idiot.
NOW YOU'VE DONE IT!
Time for me to chime in.
I've had several "Mac Moments" since picking up a MacBook about 6 weeks ago and making a few upgrades: 160 gb hard drive and 2 gb's of RAM. Best computer I've ever owned. (been Mac for about 4 years).
Quicksilver was one of first of those moments, great program!!!
Got a new job recently that starts out with about 6 weeks of intensive training and I've discovered how easy to use and useful Keynote is as a study aid.
Just today as I was struggling with the clunky, bloated MS Word for Mac, I got frustrated and moved all my info over to Pages. First time really using it, and it has some great features I can really use.
Can't wait for 10.5, iWork 07, and iLife 07.
Intentionally Left Blank