Fake Karambit on eBay??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Qboy

Fake Karambit on eBay??

Post by Qboy »

Hi all:

I just saw this knife on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-C84P-Karam ... otohosting

I looked at it and it looked WRONG, so I grabbed my own Karambit and compared. The seller's eBay handle is CUDARED, for those who may be interested. Now, this could be a prototype, an early model, or a fake. There are a range of aspects that look quite different from my own real Karambit. It looks like this one has Spyderco and Warrent Thomas Design on the blade, but mine says VG-10 and this looks like it says 440 (maybe?). Anyway, I would love to have feedback on whether people think this is a prototype, etc. or a fake.
Attachments
spyder fake.jpg
spyder fake.jpg (31 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

That is curious. I highly doubt a prototype would be sold without something bragging about it in the description, not to mention that it's started at a low price.

EDIT: It looks like this seller has actually bought the blade on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0062331905
Qboy

Oh man--that is a cheesy fake

Post by Qboy »

Okay--those pictures are obviously a cheesy fake--and its the same knife. That is embarassingly bad.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Qboy wrote:Okay--those pictures are obviously a cheesy fake--and its the same knife. That is embarassingly bad.
I don't know if it's as bad as this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyderco-seki-japan ... dZViewItem
Qboy

sellers of fakers

Post by Qboy »

Hi:

It is worth noting that the seller of the other knockoff Karambit is called collectible666. This seller has a 100% approval rating. Cudared has a very high approval rating too. This just goes to show that a high approval rating if far from a guarantee.
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

That's doubly offensive as it not only is a fake Spyder but also a fake Warren Thomas knife.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wonder if Sal & company are aware of this knockoff.

Just did the "ask the seller a question" bit with this:

How can you, in good conscience, list a cheap Chinese knockoff that your recently purchased as a genuine Spyderco C84?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

We're looking in to it. Thanks for the heads-up. :)

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
merciful

Post by merciful »

I emailed the high bidder, and got this back:

Thanks for the heads up! Musta been asleep at the wheel to not notice that one. Thanks again.

My good deed for the day.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

merciful wrote:I emailed the high bidder, and got this back:

Thanks for the heads up! Musta been asleep at the wheel to not notice that one. Thanks again.

My good deed for the day.
Must have just broke up or something... :eek:
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

Ebay has reporting services to report items, unfortunately they only allow for putting the item number in alot of them, so you cannot advise what is wrong, and the ebay people certainly don't know squat about knives!

I recently reported THIS :spyder:, can you figure out why?

Funny thing is, if you look at the enlarged version of the 3rd picture, what do you see?

Incidentally, the Karambit seller ended his listing, so someone on this forum must have had an impact!
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post by 224477 »

The Kbit is a fake sh!t !!! :eek:

Same as the Gunting with liner lock which the australian guy was showing us time back.

I dont believe the if it were a prototype - someone would sell it for a 19.99 USD starting bid!

Looks like to many fakes starting to be out there, IMO.

Found this on the chinese ebay!

Or this one... :eek:
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Darkfin wrote:Ebay has reporting services to report items, unfortunately they only allow for putting the item number in alot of them, so you cannot advise what is wrong, and the ebay people certainly don't know squat about knives!

I recently reported THIS :spyder:, can you figure out why?

Funny thing is, if you look at the enlarged version of the 3rd picture, what do you see?

Incidentally, the Karambit seller ended his listing, so someone on this forum must have had an impact!
Guess the seller with the Goddard thought just because it was burgundy it must be ZDP. :D Although, at the price they had it listed for, I doubt anyone would bite. :eek:

As for the K'bit, got this back from the seller in response to my question:
Hi, I am sorry for any inconvience this listing may have caused you. Yes,I purchased this knife on ebay as a gift to my husband. The knife blade says Spyderco 440 Warren Thomas Design on it. Up until about 3 hrs. ago we both thought that this knife was an original. We were notified by another ebay member that it could possibly be a knock off. At that time we researched and found out that it probably is. We notified the opening bidder and were waiting for an email from him letting us know if he wanted to continue with the auction or not.For all I know the opening bidder could still want the knife. After cheking my email again, and seeing the rather abrupt e-mail from you, my husband and I decided to end the auction. Again my being taken in by another ebayer and then trying to resell my item because my husband did't like it has brought you any unneccessary inconvience.
Felt like sending her a gift - a crying towel and a recording of the worlds smallest violin playing "Hearts and Flowers".
Paul
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

The Deacon wrote:Felt like sending her a gift - a crying towel and a recording of the worlds smallest violin playing "Hearts and Flowers".

I hope you just settled for "Thanks for replying, and no I was not inconvenienced." ...unless of course you WERE? :)
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Darkfin wrote:I hope you just settled for "Thanks for replying, and no I was not inconvenienced." ...unless of course you WERE? :)
Yep, that's about what I responded.
Paul
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

Good, cause I wanna buy that Hearts & Flowers recording off ya! ;)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Interesting topic, It's hard to tell sometimes from pics so thanks for the buyer beware reminder! Not sure how you tell an item being sold was also purchased on ebay? THX....
Qboy

Fake Knives and EBay

Post by Qboy »

I was the person who notified the seller before Deacon that this knife looked like a fake. The seller has a high rating and has sold a lot of stuff, so I'd bet that this was a real mistake rather than an attempt at fraud. You don't get a rating that high selling under false pretenses. I buy a lot of knives on eBay, so I think I have a pretty good feel.

That said, the seller's response kind of misses the point when she says they were waiting to see if the bidder still wanted it!! The listing should have been pulled. Selling knockoffs that violate trademark and intellectual property is just plain wrong. I hope that the seller can grasp this concept.
sal

Post by sal »

It is surprising that someone would go through the time and cost to make a fake copy of a knife. :rolleyes:

We sure do have some people here with real "class". Thanx. :D

sal

----------------------------------------------------------

"The paths of you life will be determine by the choices you make"