Bi-Fold

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Irish Lager

Bi-Fold

Post by Irish Lager »

So who out there has taken a look at the Bi-Fold? If you ask me its pretty neat looking, and to top it off its a utility folder w/ 440c. Cant go wrong.
So what does everyone think?
J
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

I really like the idea, and the cool factor to me is off the charts. I'm just worried that it may be considered an auto in California. I don't know the blade length, or even if the design is technically an auto, but our state's knife laws do worry me. :( I'd enjoy lending it to a friend and watching them try to figure it out. :p
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

SoCal Operator wrote:I really like the idea, and the cool factor to me is off the charts. I'm just worried that it may be considered an auto in California. I don't know the blade length, or even if the design is technically an auto, but our state's knife laws do worry me. :( I'd enjoy lending it to a friend and watching them try to figure it out. :p
i agree, thats what was so great about the meerkat, you could hand it to someone open, and see how long before they could close it.

i think the bi-fold is a neat idea, and i definately cant wait to get my hands on one.
J

cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

SoCal Operator wrote:I really like the idea, and the cool factor to me is off the charts. I'm just worried that it may be considered an auto in California. I don't know the blade length, or even if the design is technically an auto, but our state's knife laws do worry me. :( I'd enjoy lending it to a friend and watching them try to figure it out. :p
Same here, I love to watch the gears turn when someone tries to figure something out. Only thing is that half the people I hand my dodo to don't even open it all the way. :confused:

But even that's not as fun as my friend trying to close my crossbill the other night. She's not a huge fan of knives, but she does like to see how things are engineered and she is not new to the lockback. But the Boyle dent was really confusing her :D
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

when i first got a Meerkat i did just that, hand it to a bunch of people open and watch them not figure out how to close it.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
argyll

Post by argyll »

I don't remember the exact specs, but its small enough that even if considered an auto it would be California legal. You can look it up in a past thread on this forum.

Best regards,

Argyll
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit -- Ovid (He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Irish Lager wrote:So who out there has taken a look at the Bi-Fold? If you ask me its pretty neat looking, and to top it off its a utility folder w/ 440c. Cant go wrong.
J
I'll let you know when my Proto arrives next week. ;)
I couldn't hold it in any longer!! :o
Pic's will be forthcoming after it get's here. This will be my first Spydie prototype and I completely lucked into it so needless to say I'm very excited about it!! :D
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

[quote="fellyjr"]I'll let you know when my Proto arrives next week. ]

I'm now filled with jealousy. But as long as you take pictures I'll be able to live vicariously through you, so enjoy.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Almost certain to be considered an automatic here in NY, and there's no exemption for autos under 2" here. I'm guessing, based on the "Customs issues" with it which Kristi mentioned, that the Feds are taking a rather dim view of it as well.

It is an interesting knife, from a engineering perspective.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

well Felly, u got a "proto" Szabofly u'd like to send my way? ;) :p
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

[quote="jaislandboy"]well Felly, u got a "proto" Szabofly u'd like to send my way? ]
I only wish, Brian. I'll let you know if one comes my way! ;) :D
Th232

Post by Th232 »

YOU'RE GETTING WHAT!

And with the bi-fold legality issues, it may be some time before any of us get one (well, those who are legally able to have one).

Is a full review possible?
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Th232 wrote:Is a full review possible?
As soon as I get it I will give a full report with plenty of pic's.........Now what did I do with that camera? :D
santiago

Post by santiago »

Irish Lager wrote:So who out there has taken a look at the Bi-Fold? If you ask me its pretty neat looking, and to top it off its a utility folder w/ 440c. Cant go wrong.
J
I got to handle a prototype at last week's show here. Initially thought the opening method was a little too finicky but I was twirling it around and swinging the handle to my palm with very little thought and effort within minutes.

Incredible ergos on the thing. Fills the hand nicely and the blade extends out of the hand at a great cutting angle. Bear in mind I've got small man hands though :o

I personally can't wait to get one of these. Or three. It'd definitely see pocket time as my small folder if legal but even if I can't, it's a design and engineering marvel that I've just gotta have.

-joel
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

A Proto that got away? Sal & Eric if you are reading this, it wasn't me! :D
I'm curious to see which version your proto is, do post pics; I'd love to compare to see how many different variations were shown to the public.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

lucky dog! can't wait for your review and PICS of the proto. let's hope it eventually sees the light of day, with the current legal issues holding it back.
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Is my vision shot to pieces, or has Felly deleted his post?

Hope you didn't get into any trouble by posting the info!
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

santiago wrote:I got to handle a prototype at last week's show here. Initially thought the opening method was a little too finicky but I was twirling it around and swinging the handle to my palm with very little thought and effort within minutes.

Incredible ergos on the thing. Fills the hand nicely and the blade extends out of the hand at a great cutting angle. Bear in mind I've got small man hands though :o

I personally can't wait to get one of these. Or three. It'd definitely see pocket time as my small folder if legal but even if I can't, it's a design and engineering marvel that I've just gotta have.

-joel

I have to hope that your hands are similar in size to mine, and therefore it will fit me as well. i too have small hands, and have trouble w/ some of the larger models out there.
J