Anyone own a pair of Oakley sunglasses?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Zac

Post by Zac »

Ive worn them for some time as well as Ray Ban...my buddy has gotten me into Maui Jim and they will be my next.
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
afultz075

Post by afultz075 »

Ok, i'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a pair, but i'd be a lot more comfortable buying something this expensive if I could find the hinge to hinge measurements to get somewhat of an idea how they will fit me. All I can find is "Small-to-Medium" for the Square wires and "Medium" for the A Wires. Does anyone know of a place that has these measurements? Oakley's site strangely doesn't have measurements of any kind.
JD Spydo

Spoakley????

Post by JD Spydo »

java wrote:Spydoakelys remind me of Ned Flanders and Spydercoakelys sound too much like a collaboration with the Medellin drug cartel..... :p

Oakelercos???
:D
J
NO I think you misunderstand me there Java :) What I would have liked to have seen in regards to a Spyderco-Oakley collaboration would have been a Spyderco knife commemorated to them with a opening hole similar to Oakley's trademark OVAL. Something like a SPYKER that would have OAKLEY's logos on it. And/OR have Oakley make some shades with SPYDIE on the frames.

Both USA companies are of superb quality and I think it would be great for them to do some kind of venture someday. I know it's a long shot but I thought it was something kind of fun to think about and consider the possibilites.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
JD Spydo

sounds like Counterfeits to me

Post by JD Spydo »

David Lowry wrote:I used to own a pair of Oakley's. About 3 years ago I broke them. They were nice sunglasses. I paid about $85 for them and they lasted me about 3 years.

I don't think I will ever own another pair of Oakley's. I don't think they are worth the money. I currently have a pair of sunglasses that I paid about $6 for at a local Drug Mart. They have lasted me 3 years and they still look new. I take good care of my sunglasses.

I now feel the same about watches. I own a $300 Seiko and I've had it for about 8 years now. I will never buy another one or any watch for that kind of money. I'm leaning towards a good old $50-$80 Casio G-Shock from now on.

As I get older I no longer want to pay simply because a brand name is on a product. Knives however are another story. :D
David it sounds like to me that you could have been a victim of buying a set of counterfeit Oakley's. You've got to be really careful because there are a lot of Vendors who sell what looks like authentic Oakley's at Gun Shows and other expositions. The counterfeits look so real that it is hard to tell them apart at first glance. And the counterfeits don't last long at all. Not to mention that they have no protection from the Sun's harmful ultra-violet rays.

I only buy Oakleys from either SUNGLASS HUT or Oakley themselves. There are also hoards of counterfeit Oakleys on ebay and other internet sources as well. KNow your vendor that you are dealing with. If you are getting a set of M-Frames for $50>> then let the buyer beware :(
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Sunglass Hut is who I deal with for mine, decent prices, but a good selection and good service. They send me a $20 gift card each year for my b-day.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
afultz075

Post by afultz075 »

Well, I took the plunge and went with the Square Wire 2.0 Spring Hinge. I can't wait! Should be here Friday. I just hope they fit me OK.
snuffaluff

Post by snuffaluff »

afultz075 wrote:Well, I took the plunge and went with the Square Wire 2.0 Spring Hinge. I can't wait! Should be here Friday. I just hope they fit me OK.
awe man, I'm too late. I was going to post this thread:

http://oakley.com/locator/mqlocator?scr ... adiusKM=80

So you could see if there was a store near you that you could go to and try some on. Anyways, I hope they work out well for you in the size dept. I know they'll be great in all the other areas.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I used to only wear Oakleys, but after our team (basketball) changed sponsors and Oakley altered their warranty here in Norway I stopped after a while.
A few years ago one could just return any damaged pair to the importer and get a new part or new shades. Now one has to return them to a store and they charge $30+ for an arm for a M-frame :mad:

I mostly wear Bollè now and the ones I use are just as good as my Oakleys were. The cost about the same as Oakleys in stores, but I got mine through a new sponsor :D

Sverre
rolyat1978

Post by rolyat1978 »

I have an old pair of M-Frames that I use for protective glasses when I shoot(I have a pair of clear lenses and some tinted as well). I haven't worn them for style in years but the function perfectly for shooting glasses...
kahrk9

Post by kahrk9 »

Generally speaking, I prefer glass lenses for my sunglasses. If I were mountain biking or shooting, I would go to a good polycarbonate lens ( I like Natives for that). Though I have several sunglasses, my favorite daily user is a Vuarnet model 23 with the unilynx lens. At first the view is a liitle odd, but I love them. I hate bright sunlight; it gives me headaches. Paradoxically, the view is still bright, but without discomfort. Try EJ's Sunglasses or A Pair of Shades. I have had good service from both.

Richard