Problem with DLC coating

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TK

Problem with DLC coating

Post by TK »

Hi,

I've a problem with the black DLC coating on my Military. Yesterday I carried my Military in the back pocket. After about three hours of hard work in a humid environment, my Mili was covered with my sweat. So I rinsed it under the tap. After I've dried it, there were some spots left on the blade. So I've tried to get rid of these spots and used WD-40, lighter fluid and soapy water. Nothing worked :( . Can anyone help me?

Thomas
Attachments
blackmilitary.jpg
blackmilitary.jpg (61.42 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
"I always thought it would be great to have two wives."
"No! You're thinking of a man with two knives."
eljay

Post by eljay »

Maybe rub in a little lube?
bowarrow2000

Post by bowarrow2000 »

Back pockets are a rather humid enviroment. I like back pocket carry myself but it does cause moisture to collect on blades especially in the summer. You can try some 000 steel wool or some Flitz polish, the Flitz is non abrasive. Due to the make up of sweat you may have to live with the spots or you could just remove that black coating.
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

Has anyone removed the black coating from the blade? Any ideas?
rycen

Post by rycen »

I would try some flitz polish
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
Zac

Post by Zac »

Take an abrasive toothpaste to it, like Colgate Total. That coating is exceptionally tough and it at least as tough as the old Benchmade coating.
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
thom lambert

Post by thom lambert »

DLC does that. I have a Simonich Crowfoot with DLC that spots terribly - I haven't found anything that cleans them off easily. I have removed the black coating from several BMs - hard to do well.
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

I would try these suggestions before ever considering removing the DLC finish . Unless you have access with someone who can help you refinish the blade you might be very disapointed with the results .