Question about the Chinook Series

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blackmist

Question about the Chinook Series

Post by blackmist »

Hello..

I think my next spydie is gonna be a Chinook, my local shop has one but I don't know if it is a I, II, or III.. I'm not even sure there is a III, is there?

Anyway, how can I tell the difference between them, the one I looked at had no numbers on it but it is a Golden CO blade.

Thanks in advance.
we want you to understand that we understand that you cannot possibly understand
swingshot

Post by swingshot »

Off the top of my head, i think the Chinook 3 is the only one out of the three that is flat ground. (?)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The current Chinook started out being called the II Flatground, it has now been changed to the Chinook 3 designation. As far as I know, that is the only difference between the II and the III.
The Chinook I has a more bowie shaped blade with a pronounced swedge from the tip to about a third of the way down the spine, with a different handle shape. It is also noticably heavier.

Hope this helps :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
mikebandw186

Post by mikebandw186 »

also, the II and 3 have at least two way clip screw holes drilled and tapped in the handle. I believe the 1 was only a right hand, tip down knife
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." Sal Glesser

Proudly carrying the SpyderEdge!

Chance is a fickle B$%^h and I have no faith in the judgmental abilities of criminals. -KaliGMan
Zac

Post by Zac »

Chinook III courtesy of Cliff Stamp...notice it is the only flat ground Chinook

Chinook II; notice it is a hollow grind, S30V, and the spine and blade are different from the Chinook I

The original Chinook...most of these are CPM-440V and they are tip down carry only
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
mikebandw186

Post by mikebandw186 »

and now that we have pictures (thanks Zac), we can now see the differences more easily,

the clip on the I is the military, triangular style, and slightly curved
the blade is thicker, with less curve under the spine jimping
the spine swedge is much more defined
it has pinned construction, and the pivot screw is located on the back
the lanyard hole is much higher up

and on the 3: no spanish notch because of the flat grind and the signature is located on the back of the blade
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." Sal Glesser

Proudly carrying the SpyderEdge!

Chance is a fickle B$%^h and I have no faith in the judgmental abilities of criminals. -KaliGMan
griff76

Post by griff76 »

Not my post, but very helpful info. I have always wondered about the differences myself. I have never handled the Chinook's, but they always make me drool. Thanks for the pics Zac. A picture is worth 1000 words!!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Blackmist, here you have a side by side picture of my Chinooks.

Above the Chinook I and below the Chinook II (the steel marking is not the difference, as Chinook I was available with CPM 440 V and CPM S30; all Chinook II and III have CPM S30V and the handles of them are srew construction and they have a four-way-clip)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
blackmist

Post by blackmist »

Thanks, I think I've been handling a III but now I'll know for sure when I go back up to the shop.
we want you to understand that we understand that you cannot possibly understand