Clip Upgrades.....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacTech

Clip Upgrades.....

Post by MacTech »

One consistency i've found with Spyderco's painted clips is the distinct lack of durability of the paint, it only takes around a week or so for the painted clips on my new Spydies to start taking on battle scars, i invariably end up stripping the paint on my wire wheel equipped grinder

overall, Spyderco clips are darned good, and really need only cosmetic tweaks, that said, here's my reccomendations for clip upgrades....

first off, if it's financially feasable, make all flat clips out of Titanium, like on the Salt line, i guess it can't be *too* expensive to stamp a Ti clip, as the Salts aren't exactly an expensive line of knives, since Ti is rustproof, paint would be irrelavent

secondly, make unpainted, natural clips available, D4/E4 clips, Military/Para/Manix/etc... style, basically eliminate the painting step, as the paint on these clips isn't exactly durable

thirdly, slightly redesign the end of the clip on the Para/Millie, the edges are a little too squared off in their current incarnation and are prone to scratching other metal things (like car finishes), round off the end of these clips, similar to the D4/E4 series

the wire clip really needs no changes per se

that's all that springs to mind at the moment, but with those minor mods, the clips would be greatly improved
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

MacTech wrote:first off, if it's financially feasable, make all flat clips out of Titanium, like on the Salt line, i guess it can't be *too* expensive to stamp a Ti clip, as the Salts aren't exactly an expensive line of knives, since Ti is rustproof, paint would be irrelavent

that's all that springs to mind at the moment, but with those minor mods, the clips would be greatly improved
Completely agree. The titanium clip on my pacific salt is beautiful after the paint was stripped off. It is stylish, but low key at the same time.
I never understood why they were painted in the first place..

A Millie clip in the same finish would be perfect :cool:
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

mac, i agree completely with the "no paint" recommendation. also with the rounding out of the paramil/millie clips -- i disliked them so much i removed them completely. the wire clips are fine as is.

i like the wire clips and the clips on the D4/E4 best.

i would love to see Ti clips too, but dont know what additional problems that would cause spyderco.

hey nofair -- how did you remove the paint off your Salt Ti clip? dremel and wire brush attachment? or acetone and wet/dry sandpaper? or some other method? i think i'm going to try this today -- been meaning to do it for some time and this thread "reminded" me. :)

thanks!
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

another in agreement with the proposed "no paint" policy...
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Harry White wrote: hey nofair -- how did you remove the paint off your Salt Ti clip? dremel and wire brush attachment? or acetone and wet/dry sandpaper? or some other method? i think i'm going to try this today -- been meaning to do it for some time and this thread "reminded" me. :)

thanks!
I put it in a jar with acetone (there is a lab at work) wiped the paint off with a kitchen scouring pad. I think it soaked for about 30 minutes while I was preparing some organs :eek: for my biology students :D

The best thing about it is the little :spyder: on the clip is still black and stands out very nicely against the matte titanium clip.

Sverre
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I hate the black coated clips. I'm always dissapointed when we see various G-10 protos with the silver hardware and clip and then when they make it to production they have black clips and even worse sometimes all black screws and hardware.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

My vote goes for wire on everything. Simple, cleaner asthetics, low key, durable and virtually snagproof. Bigk6
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

NoFair wrote:I put it in a jar with acetone (there is a lab at work) wiped the paint off with a kitchen scouring pad. I think it soaked for about 30 minutes while I was preparing some organs :eek: for my biology students :D

The best thing about it is the little :spyder: on the clip is still black and stands out very nicely against the matte titanium clip.

Sverre
thank you!
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I have asked about aftermarket Ti replacement clips many times.
I would buy them for all my Spydercos.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The wire clips as in the CalyIII are my favorite, but you can't use them inthe rugged line of knives. A satin flinish would be great.
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

bigkahunasix wrote:My vote goes for wire on everything. Simple, cleaner asthetics, low key, durable and virtually snagproof. Bigk6
I am not for "everything" anything. I like variety.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

clovisc wrote:another in agreement with the proposed "no paint" policy...
Sorry, can't go with that. The LEOs in NYC have decided it's time to jack-up their arrest quotas by busting anyone with a One-Hander clipped to their pocket. Including Spydercos.

Black handle, black clip, on a pair of black pants = Best way not to get harassed.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

Monocrom wrote:Sorry, can't go with that. The LEOs in NYC have decided it's time to jack-up their arrest quotas by busting anyone with a One-Hander clipped to their pocket. Including Spydercos.

Black handle, black clip, on a pair of black pants = Best way not to get harassed.
seriously? that's good to know for the next time i head to NYC. i typically make it up there two to three times a year. next time i will be much more discreet. thanks for the tip.
alguidar

Post by alguidar »

I like the black coating on all clips (D4, E4, etc.) but I can also live with the chromed clips of the Rescue 93mm and Adventura.
The black matte finish makes clips less conspicuous and looks stylish.
I'm not a big fan of wire clips, but I've come to appreciate them more lately than I did in the past. I could love them a little more if they came coated black.
mikebandw186

Post by mikebandw186 »

when you do the acetone treatment, can you do more than one clip? i'm thinking of trying it on a few clips at once
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." Sal Glesser

Proudly carrying the SpyderEdge!

Chance is a fickle B$%^h and I have no faith in the judgmental abilities of criminals. -KaliGMan
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Harry White wrote:seriously? that's good to know for the next time i head to NYC. i typically make it up there two to three times a year. next time i will be much more discreet. thanks for the tip.
No problem.

If your Spyderco has a shiny clip, just put the entire knife into your pocket.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
JspyEDC

Buy a bunch of Adventura's

Post by JspyEDC »

The Adventura clip is the greatest Delica/Endura clip. However, they are hard to come by. It's just a small cosmetic preference, but I love my FRN knives with the polished SS clips. Here's a pic..... I keep hoping for a WIRE clip that will attach at the pivot!!
Spyderco Collector #162
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

mikebandw186 wrote:when you do the acetone treatment, can you do more than one clip? i'm thinking of trying it on a few clips at once
As many as you can put in the jar and cover with acetone.

Sometimes they need a bit of a second soak to loosen up the last pits of paint.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

I prefer those sterile unfinished clips to the black painted ones too.... :cool:
...truth is my favorite clip is this gray one on the Gray Calypso Jr VG10 sprint run and on my R2......vs. the mighty plain ole wire clip as is on the Caly3, UKPK.... :rolleyes:
Attachments
bry 076.jpg
bry 076.jpg (54.53 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
dialex

Post by dialex »

bigkahunasix wrote:My vote goes for wire on everything. Simple, cleaner asthetics, low key, durable and virtually snagproof. Bigk6
Couldn't agree more. Although I think wireclips aren't that suitable for SS knives - from an aesthetical point of view, I mean, but one never knows. :cool:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.