a kind of what to get thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
druid

a kind of what to get thread

Post by druid »

to make a long story short I may end up with a $250 store credit in the near future, how would you spend such a credit
why
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

I would buy a Bcap, a vest, a shirt and a coat... :p

Kidding.

I would buy the most expensive one on my list: Kopa.

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

I'd wait for the Hossum Woodlander or a T-Mag! but if u need instant gratification....a bg42 CF Millie might "hit the spot"... :rolleyes: :D
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

jaislandboy wrote: but if u need instant gratification....a bg42 CF Millie might "hit the spot"... :rolleyes: :D
Yes, I would tend to agree with Brian. That would hit the spot in fine fashion! ;) :D
Slatts

Post by Slatts »

Of the current releases, I'd recommend the Caly 3 or Delica ZDP.

Or hold out for the T-Mag.....
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

I'd get a CF Military/Yojimbo combo.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Turquoise Kopa or wait a couple months and ZDP Lum will be out and get both.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Zac

Post by Zac »

I am with the Kopa guys...the Turquoise Kopa is amazing!
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

The captain and the kris are on the top of my list if I had that kind of dough ;)
druid

Post by druid »

in a perfect world I would wait for the new Chinese folder or maybe a carbon fiber Calypso but I want to be able to make a choice from stock on hand and not leave this hanging. that is why although I do not like to unearth this somewhat shameful "to me" decision I am trying to have an answer ready if asked, I had a carbon fiber military and kind of miss it now that it is gone I'm a little hesitant about how exposed the liner lock is, as far as the kopa is concerned I have a tiger Coral and although the turquoise is fantastic I have think about my desire to have two of them. In a relative sense of course :rolleyes: if I had to make a choice at this moment I would probably get a Calypso Jr. 3 and a zdp Delica serrated. and make up the difference
why
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Caly3 is always a good choice.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Street Beat & a ParaMilitary.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

Halfneck wrote:Street Beat & a ParaMilitary.
oooh... yeah, I second that!

:D :spyder:
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

What was the intend purpose of the knife that caused a $250 credit...that would give me a better idea what to suggest...I know what I'd do with a $250 credit but it's not my credit so.........Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
silverback

Post by silverback »

If you don't have a Ti ATR yet, get one of those - I would if I didn't have one already. I would buy a CF Military and G10 Caly for myself.
Or lurk on eBay and wait for someone to auction a CF Walker, the holy grail of Spyders. But you will probably have to pay some more than $250 for that.
Yes, the CF Walker, drool ... :)
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
blackmist

Post by blackmist »

Silverback, liking the ATR? I waffled between the Ti and SS but I'm kind of weird in that I like the looks of "seki city - japan" on the blades and I like the extra holes too.. they still have two Ti ATR's left, both serrated, one is a CC. The price difference between SS and Ti is only around 60 bucks. I'm not having any buyer's remorse but I do wonder about the Ti and if I would know where that extra 60 went if I had bought it. I like s30v steel on my native better than vg-10 on my Stretch it has a different texture (polish?).. anyway.. yeah can't go wrong w/ the ATR I suppose.. now I gotta think about what to get next.
we want you to understand that we understand that you cannot possibly understand
druid

Post by druid »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:What was the intend purpose of the knife that caused a $250 credit...that would give me a better idea what to suggest...I know what I'd do with a $250 credit but it's not my credit so.........Doc :D
I live in suburban California and have a decent array of knives so need is a highly subjective concept. I guess my biggest holes would be filled by a decent sized belt knife, or a heavy tactical folder.
why
blackmist

Post by blackmist »

druid wrote:I live in suburban California and have a decent array of knives so need is a highly subjective concept. I guess my biggest holes would be filled by a decent sized belt knife, or a heavy tactical folder.
ATR!

Sorry.. I'm new, don't know much but I handled several blades today and the ATR and Chinook II both spoke to me.. but I can't tell you what they said.
we want you to understand that we understand that you cannot possibly understand
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

druid wrote:I live in suburban California and have a decent array of knives so need is a highly subjective concept. I guess my biggest holes would be filled by a decent sized belt knife, or a heavy tactical folder.
Ahhh....The FB19 "Dayhiker" by Jerry Hossom or the FB18 "Woodlander" should just make your mouth water then!!!!..Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

blackmist wrote:ATR!

Sorry.. I'm new, don't know much but I handled several blades today and the ATR and Chinook II both spoke to me.. but I can't tell you what they said.
Trust me blackmist they were softly saying "buy me buy me" you just didn't get your ear close enough to the spyderhole or you would have heard it!
Both are great knives but If I had to buy one over the other the Chinook II is really special....you would be hard pressed to find a better knife to take on all chores...I call my Chinook II (and I have all three Chinooks) the "Tool" because I can do things with it I wouldn't ask any other folder to do!...Doc :D