Characteristics of AUS-6?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jeff/1911

Characteristics of AUS-6?

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Folks,

I plan to purchase a stainless Delica sometime in the future. I believe that the AUS-6 blade steel will serve me fine, from what I've heard about it so far.

I'm interested in how this steel "behaves"? Is it, by any chance like AUS-8 which seems to get really, really sharp very easily? If so, I'll be delighted with this aspect of it's performance.

Thanks, Jeff/1911.
mrb

Post by mrb »

Hi Jeff,

I love my Delica II Plain Edge - it has held an edge very well in the 3 years or so I've had it - I've not sharpened it as yet.

I've mainly used it an office environment - so the edge probably hasn't done mauch hard work.

Great knife - perfect size, weight etc
yog

Post by yog »

AUS-6 isn't as hard as some other steels, which means it doesn't hold an edge quite as long as some others, but is one of the easier steels to sharpen.

I have knives with "better" steels, but the plain edged SS Delica is still my favourite and gets more rotation duty than the others.

"Walk softly, but carry a big stick."
Tom Percy

Post by Tom Percy »

Hi Jeff/1911,
I have used my Stainless Endura quite a bit, and find it seems to hold a edge fairly well, and sharpens quite easily. I have found that it dosn't take a lot to remove the razor edge, but it dosn't seem to get really dull either, and it stays this way for a long time. By using the flat sides on the triangles, you can put the razor edge back on with only a few strokes....
I wasn't too sure how I'd like it, but I don't find it any worse than most of what I have.
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Thank you all for this valued feedback. I've been thinking about buying one of these for awhile now; probably to carry along with larger Spydies for use in those "sheeple sensitive" situations. I also like the feel of the Delica design. And I simply love stainless steel handled Spyderco knives, my Police model is like an old friend now. I'll soon receive another I've ordered, with the alternate blade style.

Cheers, Jeff/1911.

Edited by - Jeff/1911 on 10/10/2001 12:27:31 AM