I have a question...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ASmitty

I have a question...

Post by ASmitty »

When the Salt series began with the Salt I Spyderco used the same handle that they were using to make the Delica at the time. Presumably this was done for two reasons. Obviously the first is that the Delica was a well established and popular model so making the Salt in its image was a good idea. The second reason would be to cut costs because FRN molds are expensive so making a new model with the an old mold would be a smart decision. So, here's my question, the small circle on either side of handles of FRN Spydies, is this a piece that is separate from the mold that can be inserted. I ask because there have been many different models that share the same handle but this portion of the handle has a different model name in the rim of this circle so is their one mold with a removable piece that can be changed or is there a separate mold for each model.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

I would imagine your guess is right. I cant see :spyder: making more molds just for a model name.

I dont know much about molds but interchangable pieces make sense.
"So many knives, so little pockets"
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I'm not sure about the first gen delica's and endura's, but the current handles the flat spot on either side makes a great contact point for the clip. This way the texture on the FRN dosen't grab your pockets too much when pulling in and out of the pockets

Now that I think about it though, I think the flat spot is more for looks. I noticed that on my first gen endura, the little circle with "clipit endura" inside it is exactly the same size as the spydie hole.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Oh, now I see what you were asking. Whoops :o

Maybe they refurbished an older mold?
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I think the stamp is inserted in the mold. I've hear Sal tell of the huge costs that are involved with making a mold, so a 'stamp insert' would be the logical choice.

If we don't get a response here from the source, I'll try to remember this question for the next Amsterdam Meet.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
proguide

Post by proguide »

It's called an insert in the injection molding world.
catamount

Post by catamount »

ASmitty,

good question, I've wondered about the same thing.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex