AAAGGGHHH! fvcking winblows

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vampyrewolf

AAAGGGHHH! fvcking winblows

Post by vampyrewolf »

yep, comp crashed, memory exception error, dumped.... reinstall winblows and start fresh.... fvcking winblows

Been home for an hour and this is my first minutes of it working
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
chinook

Post by chinook »

When mine did that it turned out to be a faulty IDE cable. Worked fine with the case open butt was pinched when I closed the cover.
Sounds more hardware than software.
.><CHINOOK*>
silverback

Post by silverback »

I am truly sorry about your problems, I feel your pain! :(
Been there, done that on a regular basis before I switched.

I might regret this, please don't hate me, you know what's coming but I can't resist:
Try a Mac! :D
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm with Chinook, sounds more like hardware. Memory module on its last legs perhaps? Borderline power supply? CMOS Battery dying? You probably know the list better than I do. Is this one you lashed together out of parts cobbled from the dead and dying Pat? :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Best method for data back up?

Post by JD Spydo »

OK Guys in light of VAMP's recent debacle I have a question to throw at all of you. I have had nothing but excellent luck thus far with my current desktop "POWER SPEC" computer. But I know that the odds aren't with me for the long haul.

I am not a high tech geek as much as I should be so try not to laugh hysterically. But what is the current best way/method/hardware available to back up the data on my PC? I have heard that external hard drives are really ideal for that purpose. But with the way that technolgy changes I am sure that method is maybe already antiquated.

I thought about burning it all on a CD but I usually get new stuff I want to keep almost on a daily basis. OK, OK :o but when you are finished laughing just tell me the best way to go.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
snuffaluff

Post by snuffaluff »

JD, there's more than one way to save the "stuff" on your computer as a backup. Putting it on cd is one way, but you'd probably need 10 CD's(if you have as much stuff as me). You could use a DVD burner instead. The external HD is the better method though. Prices are fairly less expensive than they have been and it's much more failsafe than the above mentioned.

Back to Vamp... Hate to hear that man. Had a lightening strike here and I thought I lost my whole PC. Luckily, I just unplugged/replugged the PC and all was good. :D

ps. do you have to type around the censors? They are there for a reason.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

No need to use the "F" word in your thread title and in the message.

We all know why the "V" is there instead.

I have never seen one person have so many computer problems. What do you do to your PC's that mess them up so bad?

I have had a Pentium III 933MHz box and a Pentium 4 1.5GHz box running at home with no problems. I built these boxes and loaded them with Windows XP Pro about 2.5 years ago. They have all the Windows Updates and have no problems at all. You gotta be doing something wrong. You sound like you are always having computer problems of some form or another.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
dlemay

Post by dlemay »

JD, if you have really valuable information that cannot be lost, I suggest two external harddrives backups. Keep one backup in the same area as your computer, and put the other harddrive in a seperate location. That way in case your house burns to the ground or such, you can still regain your data fairly quickly if necessary.
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

First JD Spydo:

I too agree that the best back-up method, for now, is the external (or internal) hard drive. They usually come with a program that let you choose between two types of back up: 1- A full image copy of your hard drive so if the main one fail, you just have to restore it. 2- You just copy your important files (movies, pictures, songs,...).

I bought a 160 GB for less than 100$ Can. You plug it into a usb and there you go, it is recognize by XP as an external drive just like a USB key. Very convenient.

If you buy one, not only buy one from a trusted company, but try to know what HD is in there. If you get a Western Digital, and the price is good, buy it.

As for Patrick, well, I do conquer: It sounds too much like Hardware problems.... Windows doesn't tolerate any parts of the machine to be problematic.

Hope everything is fine anyway,

Take care,

SImon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

why not set your computer on fire? after all, now you've got a lot of choices in how to go about igniting it... :D ;)
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Chinook: laptop comp, had it for a month and have resisted opening it.... good try though.

Silverback: :p I'd rather find a good redhat copy of linux.... might have to check my book, think I have knoppix in there.

Paul: I think this is more due to me playing with settings and my deep cleaning on sunday, seems to be working fine now (though without my progs or tweaks yet).

JD: external USB is the way to go if you don't want to spend a couple hours reinstalling. I have a 320gb one touch backup, slowly moving my files from the 160gb, was going to be backing up my laptop when the 160 was clean. :rolleyes: The 320gb was on sale for 150cad at futureshop, reg 250, add a 3yr warrenty and I came out just over 200cad.

snuffaluff: old habits... :o

David Lowry: I have a feeling it's because I'm always pushing to see how fast I can get a comp running without BIOS overclocking. Had my desktop pushing 1.7ghz on a 1.1ghz. Trying to get 2.5 on this 2.0, was doing some deep memory cleaning and boosting on sunday.

dlemay: What I found worked great was having an external at home and burning my important data to dvd-9's.... just drop the dvd backup in with the music in my car, don't have to drag the external HD everywhere and my extra files can go on a flashdrive or my 10gb.

simon: I find iolo Search & Recover good for that. If my comp hadn't crashed I would have had a clean enough comp to image with.... and a big enough external not to worry about the space.
I still think it was winblows being upset with me cleaning out files it wanted me to have.

jason: I'd rather stuff one of my old towers with plastic explosive and hit the button.... for now. Let this sucker crash with winblows again and it's going to linux :p
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Quit overclocking, quit tweaking, quit trying to make it the Ferrari that it never will be.

I'm running a 933MHz PIII box with 384MB of RAM. It works just fine and it's been built and running Windows XP Pro w/SP2 for over 2 years with no problems. It's never crashed, never gotten slow, never needed rebuilt, etc....etc....etc.

I have a friend who wants to overclock and tweak everything on his computer and he has problems all the time. I just laugh and continue to use my reliable box.

I also leave my computer on 24/7/365. It gets rebooted only when it gets an update that needs a restart.

Sounds like you need to get a computer just to toy with and then have one that you don't mess with and just use.

Also, ever heard of Ghost? Just ghost your HD over to another HD. I have 2 80GB Hard Drives in both of my boxes. I use one, and Ghost over to the other HD for a backup.

I laugh at people that don't backup stuff. :D
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
cgjones

Post by cgjones »

Pat: Just curious if you had tested the memory for errors. I had a problem awhile back that turned out to be faulty memory.

JD: I would use an external USB hard drive. USB isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
Carson
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

David: After seeing the stuff NOD32 finds in systems that norton says are clean.... well... I'm not too keen on picking up norton ghost.

As far as having a machine to play with, I'm a motherboard/cpu/ram shy of having a spare comp to play with. But that $600 set aside for it went to a laptop. My old desktop (gave to my sister for xmas this year) ran 24/7 without a lot of problems, after I got it working smoothly and tweaked. Think the desktop will be the one that just gets used (that $600 will get me a dual 2.66, 800fsb, 2gb ram).
dlemay

Post by dlemay »

The DVD definitely works as well for a second source of backup.
chinook

Post by chinook »

vampyrewolf wrote:Chinook: laptop comp, had it for a month and have resisted opening it.... good try though.
David Lowry: I have a feeling it's because I'm always pushing to see how fast I can get a comp running without BIOS overclocking. Had my desktop pushing 1.7ghz on a 1.1ghz. Trying to get 2.5 on this 2.0, was doing some deep memory cleaning and boosting on sunday.
Sounds like you already know what the trouble is......
"vampyreware" (:
.><CHINOOK*>
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I'm one of those guys who always has to tinker and take stuff apart. Why do you think I WORK in electronics repair :p Can do computer repair with my eyes closed.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

vampyrewolf wrote:I'm one of those guys who always has to tinker and take stuff apart. Why do you think I WORK in electronics repair :p Can do computer repair with my eyes closed.
Have you ever observed that most auto mechanics drive either some POS held together with baling wire and duct tape or something hopped up to the point where it might hand-grenade at any moment? ;) :D

Think the general consensus is just that whatever the problem is, Bill Gates & company are not the ones to be cussing for this one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Still can't believe the title of this thread is "ok".
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Paul: Winblows, like Ford, is always going down or needing something done on it :p Why do you think most mechanics don't drive Ford, but go to dodge or something overseas? ****, I'm driving a 95 Firefly (joint ventue between pontiac and suzuki, 1.2litre 4 cylinder engine with 210K km and going strong, should get 600K if it's well maintained).
Gimme my linux and I'm happy, just need to find a slackware or redhat that will give me all my winblows programs still.

David: Haven't technically hit any censors. Working around them like we do on BFC W&C is even easier than replacing a U with a V, if you would prefer that... :rolleyes: I'm sure you know how to break up character strings for it too.