Survival Spyders

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
eastr

Post by eastr »

mobey you sould check out the temperance.
http://www.wildeals.com/advanced_search ... d1b644fb59
it is a very goodknife at only 70$
"THE ROUGH RIDER”“FAR BETTER IT IS TO DARE MIGHTY THINGS..THAN TO TAKE RANK WITH THOSE POOR. TIMID SPIRITS WHO KNOW NEITHER VICTORY NOR DEFEAT.” THEODORE ROOSEVELT 1899
spyderco making mans oldest tool mans most advanced tool:spyder:
THE GREATSET POWER IS OFTEN SIMPLE PATIENECE
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Mobydick64

Post by Mobydick64 »

Hi Jordi.
I'm sorry but what does Shu mean.
Oscar
Mobydick64

Post by Mobydick64 »

Hi Eastr.
I'm not looking for cheap blades. I buy blades which have proven their usefullnes in the field.
My Endura and Fallkniven F1 have done just that.
Although the F1 is a cheap blade it's made of VG 10 steel and is though enough to carry my weight if i put it in a horizontal crevice.
By the way i weigh ca 210 pounds.
I have it now appr. 3 years and i've never had to resharpen it.
But any way thanks for the tip.
Oscar
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

The Temperance is far from a cheap blade... insofar as it is very high quality. As is that Fallkniven, I've had both at one time or another. I would venture to say that the temp will outperform your Endura in the field, maybe even the Fallk.

VG-10 is a great steel, apart from some touching up work on a whet stone I've not had to get my VG-10 Police sharpened but two or three times since I've owned it... and even then it's because I prefer a wicked sharp edge to a utility edge on my folders. If you like this stuff, just wait till you get your hands on some ZDP.

Shu is a member of this forum, he gave me a tip earlier in this thread.

You should check out the Perrin Street Beats Spyderco came out with this year. The are also VG-10 I believe... and about the same size as an F-1. The ergonomics look much better though, I would venture to say it might replace your swede. I ordered mine about 10 minutes ago, handled it for 30 seconds in my local knife shop a few days back and couldn't rationalize not getting one.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Saint-Just

Post by Saint-Just »

Mobydick64 wrote:...And to add to the discussion of the use of multitools in a survival situation.
Can anybody explain to me the use of a bottle opener, a screwdriver or a pair of pliers in the wildernes.
Very simple all you have to do is read first post of this thread:
JD Spydo wrote:AS some of you might have gathered I have been doing a lot of studying in the area of "survival" and "Preparedness" here in the 4 to 5 years and much more so since Katrina and other disasters. My question to you all is this. Which Spyderco knives would you personally deem essential for a disaster type scenerio and why? Also are there Spyderco knives you currently don't have but you know that those particular models would be beneficial under demanding circumstances?
So granted, we moved away from just Spyderco, because we thought it was a little too restrictive. But Wilderness is only one option for your disaster, and the least likely to take you by surprise: If "disaster strikes" and you find yourself in the wilderness, chances are you where there already and therefore have a decent bit of kit with you.
To most of us, "disaster" can for instance mean stuck in a car (with an avalanche on top of you - read the news -) in the middle of nowhere and pliers and scewdrivers can prove themselves mechanically-wise.
"Disaster" can also mean being rounded like sheep in a Katrina-like situation and you are more likely to be allowed to keep a multitool than a fixed blade.
Finally, I believe that for the majority "disaster" will strike in a city, where a multitool will find a lot more use than a FB.
But to answer your question about multitool and wilderness, and just to give you examples, screwdriver is also a much better tool than a knife for prying. The saw has already been discussed in the thread, pliers can help you twist something open if your hands are numb...
There is very little a FB can do a good multitool can't, one way or another. And they take little space and weight.
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre!
Gal. P. Bosquet, 25th Oct 1854
i.v

Post by i.v »

Mobydick64 wrote: ...And to add to the discussion of the use of multitools in a survival situation.
Can anybody explain to me the use of a bottle opener, a screwdriver or a pair of pliers in the wildernes.
A multi tool as its name implies gives you many tools that can be used for many different situations, some are not for what the tool is desgined for.
I'll give you some examples all experience based.
Screw drivers are very good for prying as Saint-Just already said
Pliers are invaluable, so many possible uses, most important - grabbing things you cannot tough with your hand: a spiked branch, scorpion in boot, hot coals from the fire or an improvised pan, breaking and twisting little braches, prying, the options are limitless.
Knives, saws, awls, scissors, file - I don't think I need to explain how usefull those are.
Even the little bottle opener can be used to strip tree bark.
Mobydick64

Post by Mobydick64 »

Hi Jordan.
Thanks for the tip on the Perrin street beat.
A great looking knife but with one disadvantage, the micarta handle gets slippery when wet.
As for the temperance maybe he can replace my endurance but not my F1 being a folder.
If weight is important and concealability then a folder is recommended.
But if it's not your primairy blade should be a fixed blade.
It can take a lot more abuse than a folder(think of prying,chopping branches etc) and the blade is ussualy thicker than a folder.
IMO the best survival knive is a Gurki (made of a truck spring) i own one) it is so versatile in it's use.
The only negative thing is its size, you can't carry it with you in normal day hiking in Europe.
Greetings Oscar
Saint-Just

Post by Saint-Just »

Mobydick64 wrote:Hi Jordan.
As for the temperance maybe he can replace my endurance but not my F1 being a folder.
The Temperance is NOT a folder. The Lil' Temp is.
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre!
Gal. P. Bosquet, 25th Oct 1854
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I've got a few kukri's myself, and they are terrific blades. I am especially attached to my CS Ghurka model, the Carbon V steel takes an edge that'll fell a redwood and then give you a nice shave... but I've got a sirupati I use for MA training and one of the 16 inch WWII models that I like quite a bit, the bone handle doesn't cause quite as much blistering as the Cold Steel's... thing'll take a beating for sure. I had one of the Ang Khola models as well... it was either the 12 or the 15 incher, took it backpacking in Mexico when I was 17. It was a reluctant gift to the US border patrol when I came back over, as a matter of fact. :mad:

I've got a couple of TOPS FBs with micarta handles, never had a problem with slippage wet or dry... that aside, the handle ergonomics are amazing on those Perrins, the things won't leave your hands unless you let them.

And, as Saint-Just says, you must have been checking out the lil temp. It's big brother is fixed blade for sure, and if you manage to break it in the course of normal use... or even abnormal use... I'd be somewhat amazed.

i.v, you've got that right... pliers don't just come in handy for insects, coals, and tree torture either... I grew up in the middle of the American southwest, I dare you to take a spill on a prickly pear and rectify the situation w/o a good pair of pliers (and maybe a few swills of another cactus byproduct... if you know what I mean ;) ) In fact, my least favorite use of a Leatherman was when one of my uncles dogs took a swipe in the face from a porcupine... ooooo the yelping... but I sure wouldn't have wanted to do that by hand.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

Mobydick64

Post by Mobydick64 »

Hi Jordan Saint-just and I.V.
You're right i followed the link of Eastr wich shows a folder.
Furthermore i would like to say that my question was a rethorical one i'm fully aware that every piece of equipment is or can be usefull in a survival situation.
I've had my share of survival courses when i was in the military.
I once bended my LM MT screwdriver while prying bark from a tree to get some larves for fishing.
It has been said before a multi tool is a great addition to your survival gear.
But if i have to choose between a FB or a MT when packing my FB wins every time.
I'm not trying to offend any of you, i value your oppinions and tips.
But troughout the years i've found my balance in my hiking equipment(i'm not saying that it can never be improved)
Yours sincerely Oscar

One last thought, i always think of the 3 F's when hiking trough the great outdoors.
1 Food and water
2 Fire
3 Faith in your skills and equipment
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Jordan, i've gotta agree with you....the Street Beat's ergos are wonderful....even with wet hands the oversized forefinger coil and spine jimping mean minimal slippage.... ;)
It sucks to lose your Ang Khola to the border patrol.... :mad:
The little pliers on my Victorinox Mechanic are awesome splinter removers and in general I've found pliers to be one of the most useful options on any multitool (like my Leatherman Wave).... :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I AM SO OFFENDED!!!!

Hehe... na, just joshing. It's gonna come down to personal preference every time, you get used to your pack... happens to every hiker. I know how it is when you bring out a new piece. You don't want to leave any of your proven stuff behind in case the new knife or tent or what have you is a POS, which means you are carrying unnecessary weight (one of the cardinal sins of backpacking)... its just a generally irritating process. The only time I replace anything in my pack is when I get something that I know to be a better product (rare, because even superior products seem inferior because they aren't familiar), or when something I normally carry breaks (way, way more rare... I buy good stuff). The wonderful thing about this forum is that we are all people of similar interests... so we can debate the finer points of this knife and that until the cows come home.

And thanks for the empathy on that Ang Khola jai... hopefully that BP agent took it home and enjoyed it, I prefer to think that than to imagine it just getting melted down with a bunch of chinese switchblades.
- Theodore Roosevelt

Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: gurkha kukri :) :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Sorry if repeating here . My thoughts are weather resistance under hard use , and ease of care under these harsh conditions. In my case my Ti ATR , SE Salt Atlantic , and a Spydersaw . Until the new FB Spdyderco line comes out the Boker Hunter Orca would be on my belt . My Leatherman Wave would also be a must have along with a few other non Spyderco tools Gerber Pack Hatchet and Axe . A strong walking staff would also be a most if conditions called for its use in the field . Also a good sharping kit to maitain tools for the long term. Great thread Joe ! I like everyones comments , good food for thought .
JD Spydo

Great Topics, great areas of interest

Post by JD Spydo »

Manix Guy 2 wrote:Sorry if repeating here . My thoughts are weather resistance under hard use , and ease of care under these harsh conditions. In my case my Ti ATR , SE Salt Atlantic , and a Spydersaw . Until the new FB Spdyderco line comes out the Boker Hunter Orca would be on my belt . My Leatherman Wave would also be a must have along with a few other non Spyderco tools Gerber Pack Hatchet and Axe . A strong walking staff would also be a most if conditions called for its use in the field . Also a good sharping kit to maitain tools for the long term. Great thread Joe ! I like everyones comments , good food for thought .
Manix Guy it has been a good thread for information sharing. I am surprised at the turnout.

Michael Cook & Jordan you guys really hit one directly with you two mentioning the Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri. I have 3 of them and I consider all of them to be indispensible for survival type use. I use a couple of them in the wetlands constantly for a variety of uses. Not to mention their fierce potential of being a superior self defense weapon. It's one of the main reasons I am looking very forward to the Hossum models due to hit the shelves soon.

Now the Street Beat was just not my Personal Idea of a great fixed blade. This is where personal preference comes heavily into play. I still think that the FB Temperance is my Spyderco fixed blade of choice and at the moment there really isn't another fixed in the production lines that I like better. The Street Beat is truly a high quality built fixed blade but just not for me.

And "i.v." your point about Multi tools is not only well taken but I think they are just as important as a premium blade. Survival & Preparedness are hot and controversial topics at the current time. But I do agree that everybody's individual situation is very unique but not so unique that we can't all learn from the other guy/gal. So what else have we not covered?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
eastr

Post by eastr »

i love the temp have realy put mine through some rough us and it's still perfect. Sal made a real winnner in my book.
"THE ROUGH RIDER”“FAR BETTER IT IS TO DARE MIGHTY THINGS..THAN TO TAKE RANK WITH THOSE POOR. TIMID SPIRITS WHO KNOW NEITHER VICTORY NOR DEFEAT.” THEODORE ROOSEVELT 1899
spyderco making mans oldest tool mans most advanced tool:spyder:
THE GREATSET POWER IS OFTEN SIMPLE PATIENECE
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Mobydick64

Post by Mobydick64 »

Hi Eastr.
Nice pictures.
But you've shown me why the temp wil never be amongst my hiking gear.
It's not full tang.
Try making a new handle and the blade isn't full tang, you're in for a hard time (if you're in the outdoors).
I just discovered in the 2007 catalog the FB19 dayhiker and FB18 Woodlander.
From witch the Woodlander is the most likely to end up in my hiking gear.
Whereas the FB16 Forrester is a perfect choice if you go hiking in the jungles of South America.
I think i´ll try and get a FB18 here in the Netherlands.
Keep on Hiking
Oscar
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Can't go wrong with any of those Hossom models.
- Theodore Roosevelt

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

multitools... errrr...

i haven't had a lot of luck with multitools in hard-use situations. broke an LM in johannesburg while pulling hard pieces of unnecessary plastic out of the backs of my shoes. broke another LM on my property in zambia, cutting through not-too-thick wire someone had used to keep a door on an abandoned house shut. wore out the saw on my LM juice in no time at all. broke the scissors on my current LM squirt cutting through some thick-ish plastic...
clovisc

speaking of breaking things in survival mode...

Post by clovisc »

also broke an S30V prybaby... was in africa working on building a shelter, and tried to pry a small rusty nail out of a tree limb -- SNAP!