Military Failure

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Hey Tom. Merry Christmas to you too. Glad that you got the problem fixed. Nice lookin knife btw. :D
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
eastr

Post by eastr »

i was with denn at first till you explained your full intent around here you better be clear on your purpose or they'll tar and feather you glad you got it fixed. Ijust got my milli but it has been great so far. gettim denn ;) :D
"THE ROUGH RIDER”“FAR BETTER IT IS TO DARE MIGHTY THINGS..THAN TO TAKE RANK WITH THOSE POOR. TIMID SPIRITS WHO KNOW NEITHER VICTORY NOR DEFEAT.” THEODORE ROOSEVELT 1899
spyderco making mans oldest tool mans most advanced tool:spyder:
THE GREATSET POWER IS OFTEN SIMPLE PATIENECE
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
sal

Post by sal »

Think twice, type once. ;)

sal
denn

Post by denn »

[quote="sal"]Think twice, type once. ]

i usually think once, type once, think another one time and then still manage to screw it up.......; perhaps i'm a bit badmouthed at times... :o

denn :)
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

[quote="sal"]Think twice, type once. ]

Very wise words.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

It happens to all of us, we're only human.

Merry Christmas everyone.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Tom v S

Post by Tom v S »

Very wise words Sal, but sometimes it is hard to do :) Most of us love the Mili, and find it hard to hear that one fails.

PS: Heard today that my Volpe Will arrive next week! First it would come in late January, so thats good news! ;)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tom.

When we hear that a knife fails, we try to get it back for study. It's the constant refinement that creates reliability.

sal
denn

Post by denn »

that's why i love my current cpms30v model Milli so much Sal, it's near-perfection

10 years of refinement definitely paid off on the '36'

denn
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Ive had this happen to my Military's, the problem is a result of abuse or really hard use. The problem is not really a problem to me. as I don't us my Military as a Fixed blade.

id also like to point out that any lock can fail quite easily if hit the correct way. all except the compression, in my experience. ive found it impossible to break with my hands. I ave found that some of the most renowned locks in the industry are the easiest for me to get by and make them fail. Such as the axis. ive made every axis lock Ive used fail, the reason I don't touch em anymore.
denn

Post by denn »

vince,

i think the problem rather emerges from a poorly locking up liner than hard use. the millie's lock can take shedloads of force and abuse, and i know, 'cause i've had like five of em. :)

agreed on the comp.lock. i got a german knife multi-review laying around here, and they tested the ATR against several other tacticals. and boy, these guys don't mess around, serious and extreme hard abuse. and guess what? > all knives developed play or faield completely.......all but the ATR :D , not only did it not fail, it didn't even develop a micro-nano-inch of play.....that's impressive.

i had one ATR SS in the past, and the first time i experienced that compression lock i already knew that that one was never ever going to fail......ever.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

denn wrote:vince,

i think the problem rather emerges from a poorly locking up liner than hard use. the millie's lock can take shedloads of force and abuse, and i know, 'cause i've had like five of em. :)

agreed on the comp.lock. i got a german knife multi-review laying around here, and they tested the ATR against several other tacticals. and boy, these guys don't mess around, serious and extreme hard abuse. and guess what? > all knives developed play or faield completely.......all but the ATR :D , not only did it not fail, it didn't even develop a micro-nano-inch of play.....that's impressive.

i had one ATR SS in the past, and the first time i experienced that compression lock i already knew that that one was never ever going to fail......ever.

When you create a few good blows to the liner lock, the entire thing wobbles and moves, this is why you get liner movement, also the reason it is so easily fixed with the eccentric pivot.
Tom v S

Post by Tom v S »

Sal: I know that. But I didn't send it back because the problem was fixed so easily. Now it just don't close when I do a spinewack. It's a great knife!

Vincent: I don't use my knives very hard. Just for slicing actually. Never split wood with it or pried with it, so that isn't the problem. I am very carefull to al my knives.