Terrorism and Your Carry

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dav

Terrorism and Your Carry

Post by Dav »

Did anyone else take a look at your collection of knives on the dresser this morning and option for something a little larger (or smaller!)??

Personally I grabbed my SSPolice laying next to my normal carry, a Calypso, this morning...

It seems like shutting the stable door after the horse has escaped to carry something a bit more beefy today, but it made me feel better.

Dav
Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper »

I had to not carry. There was business I had to take care of in a city/county building today. It turned out that the building was closed for security purposes. I would have ideally opted for ADDITIONAL carry.
THE GATEKEEPER
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

yep, even though I don't live in the states, I opted for heavier!

got home from school long enough to attach my 4" fixed blade in place of the delica... then went to my friends on the other end of the city... took me 1 hr instead of the 20minutes it would have from the school alone.

if trouble is going to spring up in the states, you never know if it might hit canada too.

We all start with 10 fingers. Those with Spydies have 9 to spare, Still need a thumb. Good thing I still have 8 to spare...
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I had my endura today have been carring
my rookie ll to work also had my 1911 under the seat.

J Smith
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I had my endura today i have been carrying my rookie ll to work also had my 1911 under the seat.

J Smith
Spin

Post by Spin »

call me a loonie but well, i didn't just carry additionally today but also got my emergency pack with all the first aid stuff, a larger flashlight (addition to the small EDC one) and other useful stuff to work...and i live in hong kong!

well, you never know whether the islamic seperatists from Xingjiang would also start their attack on Hong Kong or not...

By the way my prayers, also those from the knife community here, to the victims in US.
Tom Percy

Post by Tom Percy »

And we thought it was hard to get through security before, I can't imagine the problems we will see at airports and the border after yesterdays attack.

Hang on, it looks like we are in for a rough ride. It's a different world now.
Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

Yep, Looks like we've just joined the gun owners. I doubt that even my smal SAK would make it
on a plane now. If this doesn't give the anti- weapon crowd the edge nothing will. Might as well
get use to opening packages with your teeth.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Yes, I thought about the high security level on the USAF base where I work and decided to wear something smaller today. The Meerkat (just received 3 days ago, collector #047) got to go for a ride today. Nice knife, should be a large seller @ a $49.95 price, I am having a hard time with a one hand lock deploy and close. Must practice, practice.
cutler34

Post by cutler34 »

Knives on planes in Australia have been banned for as long as I can remember.
I guess you get used to placing them in your luggage.

Regards
Ricki
info@outdooredge.com.au
Spyderco Club Member
FL_fisher

Post by FL_fisher »

Are the ceramic knives like Boker ceramic blades made of pure ceramic? If so is the metal in the liner enough to set off a metal detector?
Tom Percy

Post by Tom Percy »

I'm not sure about the metal content in the ceramic, but I would'nt want to get caought trying to ANY type of knife on board a flight. That person would be for a lot of trouble, good 'guy' or not.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I have read on the BF forum in a thread, someone posted he was informed that knives will not be allowed even in checked-in baggage. And on TV, they were saying the airlines will no longer supply steak knives on the plane. I could only assume that would include forks, as they are pointy. I think plastic dinnerware is also no longer allowed on flights.

Not even a small SAK is allowed on flights anymore. I am afraid these new restrictions will not stop at airline carry, but will try to ban all knives everywhere in society.
Jim
ceg

Post by ceg »

James Y - I hope that knives in checked-in luggage will still be allowed.

I'm waiting on the back log of flights to clear so I can go north to hunt. It will be real interesting walking to check in with a rifle case in one hand and duffle bag with several knives and hatchet in the other. If what you say is true the next post I make, may be from prison.
James Y

Post by James Y »

ceg:
I hope all goes well with your trip. Best bet would be to call beforehand and find out what to do about your gear.

I have to amend something I said earlier. They will have plastic forks and knives with the airplane meals, but no metal.

(A few years ago on a flight over India, I believe, a child started choking to death on a flight. A passenger who was a doctor called out for anyone who had a knife. Luckily another passenger handed him an SAK. The doctor used it to perform a tracheotomy and thus saved the kid's life. I shudder to think what would have happened had it occurred now, under the new rules).
Jim