For those of us who carry CCW (firearms)

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
spydermdz

For those of us who carry CCW (firearms)

Post by spydermdz »

Four Rules of Firearms Safety

Regard any firearm as though it is always loaded, at all times, until you personally ensure it is indeed unloaded.

Always keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until you have made the decision to shoot.

Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.

Always be sure of your target and what is beyond.

Five Rules for Concealed Carry

1. Your concealed handgun is for protection of life only.

Draw it solely in preparation to protect yourself or an innocent third party from the wrongful and life-threatening criminal actions of another.

2. Know exactly when you can use your gun.

A criminal adversary must have, or reasonably appear to have:

the ability to inflict serious bodily injury (he is armed or reasonably appears to be armed with a deadly weapon),

the opportunity to inflict serious bodily harm (he is physically positioned to harm you with his weapon), and

his intent (hostile actions or words) indicates that he means to place you in jeopardy -- to do you serious or fatal physical harm.

When all three of these "attack potential" elements are in place simultaneously, then you are facing a reasonably perceived deadly threat that can justify an emergency deadly force response.

3. If you can run away -- RUN!

Just because you’re armed doesn’t necessarily mean you must confront a bad guy at gunpoint. Develop your "situation awareness" skills so you can be alert to detect and avoid trouble altogether. Keep in mind that if you successfully evade a potential confrontation, the single negative consequence involved might be your bruised ego, which should heal with mature rationalization. But if you force a confrontation you risk the possibility of you or a family member being killed or suffering lifelong crippling/disfiguring physical injury, criminal liability and/or financial ruin from civil lawsuit. Flee if you can, fight only as a last resort.

4. Display your gun, go to jail.

You should expect to be arrested by police at gunpoint, and be charged with a crime anytime your concealed handgun is seen by another citizen in public, regardless of how unintentional or innocent or justified the situation might seem. Choose a method of carry that reliably keeps your gun hidden from public view at all times.

You have no control over how a stranger will react to seeing (or learning about) your concealed handgun. He or she might become alarmed and report you to police as a "man or woman with a gun." Depending on his or her feelings about firearms, this person might be willing to maliciously embellish his or her story in attempt to have your gun seized by police or to get you arrested. An alarmed citizen who reports a "man with a gun" is going to be more credible to police than you when you're stopped because you match the suspect's description, and you're found to have a concealed handgun in your possession.

Before you deliberately expose your gun in public, ask yourself: "Is this worth going to jail for?" The only time this question should warrant a "yes" response is when an adversary has at least, both ability and intent, and is actively seeking the opportunity to do you great harm.

5. Don't let your emotions get the best of you.

If, despite your best efforts to the contrary, you do get into some kind of heated dispute with another person while you’re armed, never mention, imply or exhibit your gun for the purpose of intimidation or one-upmanship. You’ll simply make a bad situation worse -- for yourself (see rule #4).
myspace

ATC

:spyder: meshmdz :spyder:
untamed

Post by untamed »

Don't have one but as a firearms enthusiast, it's always good to be reminded of the fundamentals from time to time. Complacency, carelesness and ego can KILL. Thanks again.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Take the above "rules" as common sense, not the rules of your individual state. They all have slight differences. Know yours or stand down, and go home.

Some allow you more leeway than others, in a big way. Do not ever Lie to the police, incriminate yourself ( call an attorney), plant a weapon, move a body, or run away and hide. Report to the authorities ASAP. Most think A Guilty man wouldn't run away from a good shooting.

Cooperate but not incriminate. Not all cops believe in the law or enforce it as the legislature means them to. DA's the same.
most are decent so don't give a "me against you" outward appearance to the investigative officer. Don't change your story during the 50 times you have to repeat it. Don't be a robot, but don't be a smartass. If this is happening YOU NEED a lawyer. Don't let anyone "suggest" or put words in your mouth unless it's your lawyer. Etc, Etc, ETC.

I do not care how bad you think you are when the book you for manslaughter or murder it will ruin your day. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

This is the scariest thread I have ever seen! :confused:
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Actually, I've never heard the common sense rules for concealed carry. Those are some really good rules, although I hope I never live in an area where I feel that I need to carry a concealed weapon.
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

a bit off topic, but still related: did you guys know that you can fire the bullets straight up and they wont kill/maim anyone when they land because the air resistance prevents them from falling too fast? I saw it on mythbusters :D
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

Chucula wrote:a bit off topic, but still related: did you guys know that you can fire the bullets straight up and they wont kill/maim anyone when they land because the air resistance prevents them from falling too fast? I saw it on mythbusters :D
Best news ever! I am going to bust some caps In the OL Neighborhood right now, Thank goodness it's safe! :)
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

spydermdz wrote:Four Rules of Firearms Safety

Regard any firearm as though it is always loaded, at all times, until you personally ensure it is indeed unloaded.
Don't know where you cut and paste from, but I quit reading when I noticed the obvious flaw in this statement. You treat a firearm as loaded always. Period. End of story.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

I'm able to tell it's empty by looking in the barrel thingy. ;)

pete
jbake

Post by jbake »

zenheretic wrote:Don't know where you cut and paste from, but I quit reading when I noticed the obvious flaw in this statement. You treat a firearm as loaded always. Period. End of story.

If I did that, I'd never be able to clean my Glock. Cuz I've got to squeeze the trigger before I can take er down :eek:

Of course, Glocks never need to be cleaned anyway :p
spydermdz

Post by spydermdz »

zenheretic wrote:Don't know where you cut and paste from, but I quit reading when I noticed the obvious flaw in this statement. You treat a firearm as loaded always. Period. End of story.

Zen, i pasted that from firearmstactical.com, a very reliable source. And as someone else said, if YOUR theology was correct in regards to firearms, then how the **** am I supposed to clean my Glock?
myspace

ATC

zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

spydermdz wrote:Zen, i pasted that from firearmstactical.com, a very reliable source. And as someone else said, if YOUR theology was correct in regards to firearms, then how the **** am I supposed to clean my Glock?
Always treating a firearm as if it is loaded means you point in a safe direction...i.e. in the direction of something you can afford to destroy when you have to perform a necessary function such as pulling the trigger to disassemble.

There will always be that long day of hunting or three days straight with no shut eye of patroling whatever incursion you might be in the military, where you mind is too exhausted to realize that brass thingy in the chamber is bad. But ingraining never pointing the barrel at anything important adds that extra layer.

This adds another layer of protection. Do you know how many firearm tradegies end with the idiot saying, "But I checked, it wasn't loaded!"

It may seem like a minor quibble, but I think it is a cornerstone of proper firearm handling...Always know where that barrel is pointed and it better not be at anyone unless you want to kill them.

If I was a member there, I would call them on it. You and I have had a rocky past, but that doesn't mean I'd lead you astray on something as important as firearm safety...feel free to believe who you wish. ;)

The other month some doofus was putting his CCW pistol back on his person after working out at the dojo. I commented on the pistol as it was a make I had never handled. He unloaded it (then had it pointing at a guy down the bench from us). The only reason, I didn't jump him and shove that thing up his tailpipe is that I didn't want to startle him and cause an accident.

If I was with someone who carelessly pointed their gun barrel at me or anyone else, I would ask them to correct it...they would get one chance....then I would be done with them.

Take an unloaded firearm to any gun range and start pointing at people...see what happens (no don't do that :eek: ). Just before they beat you to a pulp, explain the highly reputable websight said it was ok because you checked the chamber and you "know" it is unloaded.
spydermdz

Post by spydermdz »

I love it how some people take a topic that you bring up and skew it or use it to prove their point...

Zen, i miss our go-rounds...

First - the thing i copied and pasted said NOTHING about "pointing a gun at another person! WTF are you talking about? Firing ranges? Pointing guns at people there? WTF are you talking about.

Secondly - If you are to "pretend" every gun is loaded, then how in the **** are we supposed to EVER break one down and clean it?

Thirdly - ignorant fools like the guy you work with evidentally, shouldnt be carrying guns in the first place. the sad thing is, these morons carrying and accidentally shooting someone or themselves give all CCWers a bad name. I mean look, little WORKER#9 boy is scared at the site of this thread....... :rolleyes:
myspace

ATC

zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

spydermdz wrote:I love it how some people take a topic that you bring up and skew it or use it to prove their point...

Zen, i miss our go-rounds...

First - the thing i copied and pasted said NOTHING about "pointing a gun at another person! WTF are you talking about? Firing ranges? Pointing guns at people there? WTF are you talking about.

Secondly - If you are to "pretend" every gun is loaded, then how in the **** are we supposed to EVER break one down and clean it?

Thirdly - ignorant fools like the guy you work with evidentally, shouldnt be carrying guns in the first place. the sad thing is, these morons carrying and accidentally shooting someone or themselves give all CCWers a bad name. I mean look, little WORKER#9 boy is scared at the site of this thread....... :rolleyes:
spydermdz wrote:Four Rules of Firearms Safety

Hey you checked the chamber; so go ahead and point it at the TV or your daughter and pull the trigger to begin disassembly. Me, I'm going to check the chamber then point at something useless like a soft earth backstop.

Hey you checked the chamber so feel free to point that Mac-10 of yours at your buddy as you both get out of the car. Me, I'm going to check the chamber and still make sure my uzi muzzle never points at another person.

This isn't about you and me. It is about basic gun safety. ;)