My dream Spyderco knife...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kaizen

My dream Spyderco knife...

Post by Kaizen »

This has probably been done before, but I'm doin it again so HA! This is my feeble attempt to convince Spyderco to come out with my knife, so here goes. This would be my EDC/SD dream knife:

Endura Wave
G-10/Ti liner handles
Ball lock
VG-10 Steel
PE & SE versions, no CE (it's my dream)

Anyone else want to convince Spyderco to make some new knives (or modify some old ones)?

For the record, I realize that "Spyderco dream knife" would've been a better way to put it now that I can't change the title...
ronin203

Post by ronin203 »

That does sound like a nice knife, but I could do without the ball lock. :spyder:
if you find yourself in a fair fight, you did'nt prepare well enough. .." Hock Hochiem"..:spyder: " An object at rest cannot be stopped". The evil bomber what bombs at midnight. ;) :spyder: :spyder:
Karen

Post by Karen »

I already have me dream Spyderco... It's a Chinook!!

k
:spyder:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I would love to have waved Endura with black G10.
I do not care that much about ball lock or Ti liners, but ZDP-189 would be great.
Dreams, dreams.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Welcome, Ignoramus. Sounds like a more utility minded P'Kal.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Why Ti liners when it's not a liner lock.
I fail to see the benefit of choosing titanium in this case.
Is it a "cool factor" or is it something else?
A more technical reason perhaps?
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Schempp C83 Persian -
Full flat ground Odin's Eye damasteel blade
- 14mm spyderhole
- Ramp and choil traction grooves like those on the Caly 3
- "undented" lockbar
- stabilized birdseye maple scales
- no clip
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bigkahunasix

Spyderco SuperCop

Post by bigkahunasix »

I know you regulars have heard it before but:

"SuperCop" (Super credits go to JDSpydo :eek :) police model with:

G-10 scales in DARK blue or black
dual SS liners
flat ground S30V w/ swedge tip - PE or SE (no CE it's my dream too.)
lanyard hole
BB or Pikal lock or possibly whatever new superlock that is in the works(AMBI)
4 way Wire clip
Torx screw construction
adjustable Pivot
14mm Spyderhole
(if you make this, build at least 1 Waved for Ignoramus please.)

Bigk6
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

Piet.S wrote:Why Ti liners when it's not a liner lock.
I fail to see the benefit of choosing titanium in this case.
Is it a "cool factor" or is it something else?
A more technical reason perhaps?
Ti liners were to keep the weight down as much as possible. May not even matter, but I'd like some kind of metal liner underneath the G-10.
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

ronin203 wrote:That does sound like a nice knife, but I could do without the ball lock. :spyder:
I said the Ball lock because the primary idea is for SD and from most reviews that I've seen about the Ball lock, it appears to be the strongest (or at least give the feeling of security more than the other locks). Also, I'm just learning that some vertical blade play is considered normal with some of the lock backs but I haven't heard this or experienced this with any Ball lock I've handled. One of the major complaints that I've seen about the Ball lock is that it can be annoying or even difficult to close, but since the focus (for me at least) is for SD, than my concern is about opening it quickly and comfortably and having a reliable lock to keep it open. Closing the blade would take the back seat.

IMHO, unless Spyderco did this with a Police model, this knife (especially the SE version) would be the best production SD folder on the market.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

The Deacon wrote:Schempp C83 Persian -
Full flat ground Odin's Eye damasteel blade
- 14mm spyderhole
- Ramp and choil traction grooves like those on the Caly 3
- "undented" lockbar
- stabilized birdseye maple scales
- no clip
Paul,
I would love to see this knife, but I was not able to find it among "Dream knives" on your web site. I wonder why?
I love Ed Schempp Persian. It is my EDC and now it is in my pocket.
"Full flat ground, 14mm spyderhole, ramp and choil traction grooves like those on the Caly 3" - sound great.
I have no idea how "Odin's Eye damasteel" and "stabilized birdseye maple scales" look like.
To tell the truth, I prefer knives with clip, but in this case it can be different.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

edkrueger

Post by edkrueger »

ok here is mine:
Kris
titanium scales
micarta handels
with active abalone inlay
True Damascus wootz blade (hopefully someone devolves a stainless)
Short of the wootz differentially tempered s30v (doubt it would improve performance but it would look cool.
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

Deacon I'm with you exept for a few small details.
Ironwood Scales and a pocket clip
or maybe shiny CF.
The Odin's eye Damasteel looks great.
I'd take any Damascus or damasteel
Anybody have a link to any pics of an Odin's Eye pattern
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
FRIZ

Post by FRIZ »

My dream Spyderco? DODO! :D

Regards,
FRIZ
"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''

Sir Winston Churchill
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

There are way too many new and exciting :spyder: models listed in the 2007 catalog as well as many discontinued Spyderco models that I've never handled before....that I have no need to dream up a :spyder: knife.... :rolleyes:
that being said, I'd love to have a Massad Ayoob G10 wire clip ambidextrous someday.... :rolleyes:
I tend to favor lockbacks and compression locks with my clipits.....my favorite ball lock knife is still the Dodo ;)
Some days my dream knife is the Chinook3......other days it might be the BG42 Military.....kinda depends on the weather, really.... :D
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

jaislandboy wrote:There are way too many discontinued Spyderco models that I've never handled before....that I have no need to dream up a :spyder: knife.... :rolleyes:
Like the BLUE LUM???

Post by 224477 »

C54 sprint run
add some ZDP steel for blade /PE/ and CF handle and ambi carry clip :cool:
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bh49 wrote:Paul,
I would love to see this knife, but I was not able to find it among "Dream knives" on your web site. I wonder why?
I love Ed Schempp Persian. It is my EDC and now it is in my pocket.
"Full flat ground, 14mm spyderhole, ramp and choil traction grooves like those on the Caly 3" - sound great.
I have no idea how "Odin's Eye damasteel" and "stabilized birdseye maple scales" look like.
Hi Roman,

One of these days I'll get around to "photoshopping" one up. :D

In the mean time, you can check out Damasteel here... here. It shows samples of all the patterns as they look when both flat and hollow ground. Odin's Eye is my favorite, but Hakkapelitta, Rose, and Infinity are also very pretty, so I'd be happy with any of those. TNT is handsome as well, but it looks best hollow ground, and I prefer full flat which does not seem to show its pattern off to good effect. Michael Walker is the US rep for Damasteel, so I figure it has to be decent quality stuff.

And, as far as the birdseye maple goes, here are the two I have already that use it...

I really like the look of it, but there are a number of other woods I would be equally happy with. Masur Birch (used a lot on Scandinavian knives), Desert Ironwood, Curly Koa, and Lignum Vitae, to name a few.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Paul,
Thank you very much for info. I like Odin's Eye and Hakkapelitta. I love wood and darker wood like Cocobolo looks more appealing for me, but I feel that Persian will look great with Birdseye maple. You were right about clip. I will not need it for this knife. If Spyderco will ever make it, I am in. I would love to have upgrade to Persian. Most important for me are :full flat ground blade and preferably wood scales. Probably I can live without Damasteel, but if this Persian will have Damasteel blade I will not be able to resist.
By the way, I love your bolstered Wild Natives. I was nice to find out that my beater has such a nice family. :D :D
Thanks again for sharing.
Roman

ruxton

Post by ruxton »

Ignoramus wrote:This has probably been done before, but I'm doin it again so HA! This is my feeble attempt to convince Spyderco to come out with my knife, so here goes. This would be my EDC/SD dream knife:

Endura Wave
G-10/Ti liner handles
Ball lock
VG-10 Steel
PE & SE versions, no CE (it's my dream)

Anyone else want to convince Spyderco to make some new knives (or modify some old ones)?

For the record, I realize that "Spyderco dream knife" would've been a better way to put it now that I can't change the title...
Sounds good, give it a compression lock instead of a ball lock and I'm in :D I just don't trust ball locks, I'm sure the p'kal will change my mind but so far the only ball lock I've owned is a Dodo and I was less than impressed by the locks performance (great knife and everything, just let down by the lock), compression locks on the other hand... now THAT'S a lock :D
"Even though I, Bruce Lee, may die some day without fulfilling all of my ambitions, I will have no regrets. I did what I wanted to do and what I've done, I've done with sincerity and to the best of my ability." - Bruce Lee