Massod Ayoob

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fellyjr

Massod Ayoob

Post by fellyjr »

There has been some discussion lately about this model and the tendency towards slick, slippery handles. I wanted to post some pic's of the one I have to hopefully show the detail and texture of the scales. This one is in no way slippery or shiny slick like some that have been mentioned in previous threads.
JD and I have discussed this and he has mentioned that the one I have is probably a late production piece where they made them with a more tacky, grippier finish. Maybe some of you Ayoob owners can comment on the finish of yours? Enjoy the pic's!

Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: As my friend Jar-Jar would say, that looks loverly! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
argyll

Post by argyll »

Nice pics. Unlike yours, the Ayoob's I've seen and handled do indeed have a shiny, smooth, and arguably slick scales.

Best regards,

Argyll
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit -- Ovid (He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)
Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

Beautiful pics there Felly...that knife ain't bad either!! LOL!!

The Ayoob...it's in my top 5 to lay hands on someday...especially if Spyderco wants to do a Sprint Run!!!! (Sal, Kristy...?Please!!)

Tim :D
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
BOK

Post by BOK »

I have the slick version. A firnd of mine has the Almite coated version like the one in the picture. I think I like hers better but it scuff really easily.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Yeah felly, the lighter greyish handles do seem to have more grip. In my photos in the other thread, my SE is the greyish grippy finish, while the PE is the black slickery stuff. :)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

The one I own is shiny and slippery...but still a great knife.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

Any other Ayoob owners out there with the grippier version? Looks like most were slickery finished and not too many made it off the production line with the improved coating. :(
JD Spydo

The ergos make up for the handle material

Post by JD Spydo »

I've got one of each. My two users which are SE & PE are out of totally different batches. My SE is the earlier "slick" version. My PE is like the one Felly has pictured. To be honest I don't think that the tackier version gives me any advantage.

Because of the configuration in which you hold that knife I personally don't think it makes a difference as to which one I would use. With the way that handle will accomodate a fairly large hand as mine is or even a larger than usual hand like my Friend "BLACKNINJA" (who is a fellow Forum member who is also a big Ayoob fan) it really handles so well that you can overcome a handle material that is a bit on the slick side. OH Don't get me wrong because I would love a different handle material but that knife is such a fabulous design that I can work with it the way it was originally constructed.

What sets that knife off in my opinion is the great ergonomics. With the "pistol-like" position that the blade is in when you are holding it in a normal working position it has the blade to where there is minimal stress on your wrist, hand or fingers. To me it is almost as comfortable as clicking a computer mouse. Since I got my first Massad Ayoob C-60 back in 2002 I have wondered why there has not been many other knives designed with those attributes. But then again one of Spyderco's biggest hallmarks are blades whose designs are "off the beaten path" so to speak. And the Ayoob certainly falls into that category.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
lefthandblack

Post by lefthandblack »

Great pics man. It definitely does show the grippier texture. My Ayoob has the silkier handles, although I still don't have too much trouble gripping it or drawing it quickly. Here are some pics,

Check out my thread over on bladeforums where we are discussing a sprint run of this very model. Massad Ayoob and TazKristi even join in! :eek:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=437803

:D
JD Spydo

C-60 modifications

Post by JD Spydo »

Being the C-60 has been regarded in the past as a supreme self defense tool I just thought I would add a suggestion to somehow make this possible new edition a little spicier. To me it would be great to make this newer edition with some kind of a blunt, punch type end on the bottom of the handle. To me it would even be cool to make it with a metal bolster on the bottom of it.

I would also like the have jimping on the hump part of the spine as well. With a few added tidbits this could be one very refined self defense tool. I think they are listening to us guys/gals so if you have something you would like to suggest I would say you ought to make it be known.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

I'd love to get a tip-up version of the Ayoob folder! For Spyderco's intentionally-MBC folders, it was the premiere and designed by a self-described ClipIteer! And a guy who teach the dos and don'ts of deadly force to boot.
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

thanks for the closeups Felly and Lefthandblack.... :cool:
You know, you guys aren't making the wait for a sprint Ayoob any easier! :D
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
fellyjr

Post by fellyjr »

jaislandboy wrote:thanks for the closeups Felly and Lefthandblack.... :cool:
You know, you guys aren't making the wait for a sprint Ayoob any easier! :D
Sorry Brian. :o
I'm just getting back at you for taunting me with those Black Blade VG10 Tanto's of your's. :p :p :D :D
You cost me $250 with one photo!!
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Hehe Felly, I'm always glad to help out a :spyder: -brother in need of spending some of that cold, hard $$$.... :p
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."