vertical blade play on delica and endura

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
firediver

vertical blade play on delica and endura

Post by firediver »

I have noticed some vertical blade play in my new 2001 FRN Delica and my 98 FRN Endura. I noticed it when bearing down a little to cut with the Delica. Then I went and checked out my Endura and had very similar play. There is no side to side blade play. Is this normal for FRN lockbacks? I just wanted to be sure there wasn't a problem since I plan on using both heavily. Thanks.
Gatekeeper

Post by Gatekeeper »

I too have notice this. Good question!
WELCOME!!!
THE GATEKEEPER
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

Might as well be either wrong -- or right -- twice in the same set of threads. At least if I'm wrong, the hooraws and laughter ought to impress the facts into my mind enough for my poor memory to hang onto.

In a new/relatively new lockback, I don't think vertical bladeplay is at all good. Depending upon use, I expect some could be expected over the long haul, but since -- in my mind -- vertical play relates directly to the effectiveness of the lock. With my normal levels of use, a 98 model would have at most needed to be sharpened only once or twice. You, though, may use it multiple times daily.

I keep reading posts by people who have 10-year old Delicas and Enduras they've carried the whole time. Now maybe their knives have verical play they're not mentioning, but my guess is it is minimal at most.

I'd suggest you endeavor to measure the distance of the play from top to bottom, and call the warranty/repair guys forthwith.

Again, if vertical play is meaningless and side to side play extremely important, please heap piles of sarcasm upon me.

Stare
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Just attacked my spydies...

FRN Delica has about 1-2mm TOTAL play side-side, and NOTHING vertical... 2 yrs of hard use...

G-10 Wegner jr(liner-lock) has about 2-3mm either way side-side, about 1-2mm vertical.

Tufram Cricket(just taken apart/cleaned a day ago) has NO PLAY AT ALL. IN about a week or so the screws will loosen up and get a small about of vertical play. Enough to feel by holding it and moving the blade with the thumb, but not enough to see.

SS Dragonfly is not even 3 weeks, so It hasn't developd any play. Nor should it.

50/50 ladybug has too much play in all directions for my taste, but my sister didn't even notice any play. it now resides on her keys. I think(about 2-3 weeks ago) it had about 2mm side-side total(a lot for it's size), and just under 2mm vertical(again, for it's size...).

Some play is to expected, and I'd go from the size of the knife if you have to worry. Large blades will have small play, small are barely noticable...

We all start with 10 fingers. Those with Spydies have 9 to spare, Still need a thumb. Good thing I still have 8 to spare...
cerulean

Post by cerulean »

Welcome to the forum, Djjmaddox!

Maybe a little over half of the Spyderco lockbacks I have show some degree of up-and-down play. It's a tolerance issue and it's not a big deal.

If anything, a small amount of play would probably make the lock stronger, as it would be less likely to fail if something gets into the mechanism; like pocket lint, dirt, or food. The blade play actually disappears over time with some lockbacks, because crud from your pocket builds up in the notch in the tang and helps the surfaces mate better.

If there's, like, a LOT of play, then I'd worry, but a tiny amount is pretty normal. You might want to spine whack test it and do a little static load test to make sure the lock is holding.

Play is just normal on lockbacks though, and not on linerlocks. Even a tiny bit of up-and-down play on linerlocks is unacceptable, and a pretty clear sign that the lock will fail.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

cerulean> I've tested the wegner jr, and it survived the 50 or so whacks I gave it... and about 1/2 of them were pretty hard.

no movement at all in the lock.

We all start with 10 fingers. Those with Spydies have 9 to spare, Still need a thumb. Good thing I still have 8 to spare...
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

I just spotted this thread, and found some insight into my question regarding the stainless Police I was asking about. I wonder if the play in mine is excessive? I still would be interested in what Sal thinks about this.

Jeff/1911.