vertical blade play in stainless Police

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jeff/1911

vertical blade play in stainless Police

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Fellow Spydercoians,

I notice that my new stainless Police model has a wee bit of vertical blade play when locked in the open position. It doesn’t flop around or anything, but it is perceptible. If you grip the handle tightly and flip the knife up and down hard, you can feel the blade moving slightly. Is this somewhat normal for a lockback? It doesn’t seem to me to be, as none of my other Spydies are like this. It bugs me a little, but the lockup seems very strong, so I wonder if I should send it back to Spyderco, or if this could even be fixed if I did. Your opinions, please?

Thanks, Jeff/1911.

Edited by - Jeff/1911 on 9/9/2001 10:13:15 AM
fisherman

Post by fisherman »

Jeff,
If it were FRN I would not think much of it, but considering that it has SS handles you probally should have it looked at. I dont have experience with the police so I am not positive.

Good luck, fisherman
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Fisherman,

Thanks. Like I said, if it doesn't matter I won't worry about it but I'd like to know.

Jeff.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Jeff:
I have a few Spyderco lockbacks that have very slight vertical play, but only noticeable when applying heavy cutting pressure against the edge. I have never felt play in one by shaking it up and down in the air; somehow it sounds like a bit of a problem. Or perhaps its noticeable due to Police's heavier blade?
Hopefully Sal will be able to reply and we will find out for sure if your type of play is within normal spec.
(by the way, when inspecting knives before buying, including some SS-handled ones, one of my tests is putting some pressure on the blade in a way that duplicates the pressure the blade might receive if cutting heavy; that is, I'm not trying to defeat the lock, but pushing in the opposite direction. I occasionally will feel play in certain ones, so I usually ask to see about 3 of a model I plan to buy and inspect them for play, also if, when in closed position, the tip is down far enough into the handle but not too far down). But still have never noticed feeling play that would be noticeable when shaking.
Jim
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

James,

I generally check things out quite thoroughly as well. In this case, for some reason I just checked for side to side play in the blade, but didn't think to check it's tightness of lockup in the other direction.

The play I'm describing is quite slight, but can definitely be felt when I either grasp the blade in the locked position and try to wiggle it up and down, or shake the opened knife briskly back and forth along the axis of the spine of the knife. I'd like to hear Sal's opinion too.

Jeff.
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

Jeff, I may have this backwards, but don't think so. In the greater scope of lockbacks, I believe a tiny bit of side-to-side play can eventually be expected. Up and down play, particularly early in the knife's life is a more serious problem. If I'm totally bassackwards, would appreciate learning so.

Stare
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY UP AND DOWN PLAY IN ANY OF MY SPYDERCOS.EVEN MY FRN ENDURA WITCH I'VE USED EVERY DAY FOR YEARS IS STILL TIGHT AS A DRUM.

J Smith
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

I will contact the Spyderco service guys and try to quantify the degree of play I'm seeing. Perhaps they will be able to comment on what is an acceptable amount. Maybe I'm being too particular about this.

In any case, I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks for the feedback regarding your knives.

Jeff/1911.
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

I spoke to the repair depot and they encouraged me to send it to them, saying it doesn't sound normal. The fellow explained to me that they would test it for "defeat" of the lock. If it fails they will simply replace it.

Jeff/1911.
haji

Post by haji »

Ryan, take the caps lock off, that's hard to read. But you're right, the Service Dept. will take good care of you. The titanium Police I retired this year has a naoticable amount of vertical play in it, as does my Starmate, with a linerlock. I think my Police just got worn with use, but my Starmate came out of the box with play, which appears to be the lock bar either flexing or sliding. I think it's sliding. It will be sent back in the near future.

Its all fun and games til somebody loses an eye, then its fun annd games you can't see.
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Thanks fellows,

I have changed my mind about my stainless Police model following a trip to my local supplier.

I was able to have a look at another s/s Police as well as a G-10 police, and a Chinook. I found that each of these had a little bit of vertical play, although it varied and was slight in each case. I realize now that mine is not much different so have decided to just keep it and use it.

The lock does seem plenty strong and reliable. I think that the only reason I even noticed it was because when I compared the new Police model to my serrated stainless Police, (which I found to have NO vertical play whatsoever) I became aware of the difference. I realize now that there is a variation in this tolerance from knife to knife, and that I was perhaps being a little picky. One thing I like is that this new Police model was and is as smooth as silk right out of the box. Very nice indeed.

Jeff/1911.

Edited by - Jeff/1911 on 9/14/2001 11:07:54 PM