female knife/gun carry--where, how??

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Agent Starling

female knife/gun carry--where, how??

Post by Agent Starling »

i'd like to get some ideas of where to carry a knife or gun when wearing, say, a dress, skirt, pants suit...or just in general, where do you carry and why? :confused: :spyder:

Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Not female, but for a dress or a skirt...

Knee-high boots might be a good place for a boot knife
Neck knife/gun, depending on several factors (although I personally wouldn't put a gun there)
Inside thigh (ease of extraction will depend on the skirt), and you have a right to slap any men who try to check there.

Oh, Subcoms fit almost anywhere.

Doc Snubnose will probably be able to help you out more.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

denn

Post by denn »

not female either, but here's my 2cts:

carry it just like as if you were wearing jeans. keep it simple.

and carry lightweight spydies, so your bikini or thong won't drag down :p

ah, i'm probably way off here, let the females answer this question. they oughta know for sure

denn
bigkahunasix

Just a few, Doc has a better handle than I do.

Post by bigkahunasix »

Skirt or pants- inside the waist band just forward of the hip. no wave needed.
Knife: Delica 2 or 3 (possible size issues with D4), Lava, Subcom,etc...

Suit jacket- clipped to pocket, loose in pocket, interior breast pocket.
Knife: Delica, Endura, Lava, Cricket, Navigator, etc...

Sweater/sweatshirt- neck knife
Knife: Spot, Swick, La Griffe, Nealy, etc...
DO NOT LAUGH :
Button down shirt/Polo- Clipped as high on the bra as possible, up next to the strap. opposite side as strong hand. (do not laugh, this is used quite a bit by UC officers)
Knife: Cricket, D2/D3, subcom, Rookie (G-10), the lighter the better.

The "crotch" carry doesn't work in my experience, the women that have tried it say it is slow and no matter how tight they "cinch up" it still moves around too much to be sure of a positive draw.
The small of the back carry tend to be very uncomfortable for most women.
Boot carry in womens boots is questionable, the boots are not as thick thus not as secure. Bigk6
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

BigK6 suggestions are good ones...I'll add a little something bout holsters for women...Females face special difficulties with concealment holsters. The vast majority of holsters are designed for men. The problem is that men and women are built differently. The female torso tends to be an "hour glass" shape and shorter from hip to shoulder. The complaints most frequently heard from women are that their holster "rides way too high, and the grip of the gun is up around my armpit." A holster designed around the male body will ride uncomfortably high on a woman. A woman's curving hips tend to push the muzzle of the gun outward, causing the grip of the gun to jam into her ribs. A number of quality holster makers including Del Fatti, Kramer, Chris Cunningham, Blade Tech, Sunrise Leather, and many others build holsters specifically designed for women. Doctor Hannibel may be able to make some other suggestions as well....Start checking out these guys and If you don't see anything you like PM me and maybe I can point you in a different direction....Doc :D

You may also want to check out this link to the SuperBra Holster...http://www.paxtonquigley.com/ by going to her section to ask her questions about it...or give a call for more info and how to order at 1.800.800.1011
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
denn

Post by denn »

bigkahunasix wrote:
The "crotch" carry doesn't work in my experience, the women that have tried it say it is slow and no matter how tight they "cinch up" it still moves around to much to be sure of a positive draw.
The small of the back carry tend to be very uncomfortable for most women.
:chuckle smiley;.....sorry bk6, i laughed ;)
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I have made Kydex sheaths for 4 inch bladed knives for women, and they carry them clipped to the front of the bra, at the "X"...And yes, the knife is un-noticed...Other distractions help "conceal"... :)
Try it, and you will understand...attackers get quiet confused when their victim suddenly reaches under her blouse/shirt at the front... :rolleyes:
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Small of the back is my favorite gun carry. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
chinook

Post by chinook »

I was kinda hoping for pictures. ;)
.><CHINOOK*>
denn

some of the most common carry options

Post by denn »

here's some carry options for women:

-the classic behind-the-back (BTB) reverse-concealed carry
-good old flashing in front of you, works a charm
-against the index-finger carry (AIFC), delicate touch required
-the ever so maliciously inviting ice-pick-laying0down carry (IPLDC)
-and of course, ill advised but still commonly practised today, the BTSC behind the scalp carry. requires a high pain-threshold though, take note

:D ;) , all in good fun girls/ladies, honestly.

**1 Photo removed, sorry it violates rules of Istock. Taz
Attachments
d2508351acafa49da9424767f6ce71f9.jpg
d2508351acafa49da9424767f6ce71f9.jpg (11.85 KiB) Viewed 6128 times
knifechick.jpg
knifechick.jpg (6.82 KiB) Viewed 6150 times
woman_with_knife.jpg
woman_with_knife.jpg (14.05 KiB) Viewed 6155 times
horrorgames140a.jpg
horrorgames140a.jpg (38.42 KiB) Viewed 6147 times
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Bk6 and Doc hit it well. I will also add the company FIST holsters also. He makes holsters for women. Happy hunting and please let us know what works best for you after you start packing the steel. :) Welcome and God Bless You!
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Thanks everyone! :D

I really appreciate all your suggestions (and humor!), there's so many good ideas that I never thought of before, like male vs. female builds and holster choice...speaking of which, if a woman is rather slender and not too "hippy" as I am (like photo in Denn's post of woman in lower left corner, long brown-haired one), would I be able to wear a male-type hoster, or is it better to stick with the ones that are made more for women? :confused:

I'll keep you posted on what I finally end up buying!!! :D

Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Karen

Post by Karen »

ExSpAgtStarling wrote:i'd like to get some ideas of where to carry a knife or gun when wearing, say, a dress, skirt, pants suit...or just in general, where do you carry and why? :confused: :spyder:

Starling

Hi. I have carried concealed firearms and knives. I think the main issues are a persons size, how large of a firearm you want to carry, your type of dress, and how concealed your firearm needs to be.

I have a friend that carries a revolver in a bra holster. Since I could never be mistaken for Dolly Parton, that would never work for me. Carrying even a ladybuy in my bra might be noticed. :(
I am small framed and petite, so the way I carry a gun on my body is on my inner thigh. I normally wear dresses and skirts. I almost never wear pants. My skirts are loose enough for me to reach down and easily grab my .38 titanium S&W. It will take a +P round, but it really kicks hard. But I need a gun that is extremely light for this type of carry. (I load .38 +P Corbon.) I can't wear skirts with a slit, and slips are out of the question.

I usually wear boots, cowgirl boots or nice dress boots. I carry a knife on the top of my left boot, on the inner side, so that a bulge can't be seen. I have a small dagger that I love, but I don't carry it that much anymore, due to legal issues. I do carry my native or delica there.

I often put my hair up, and use hair pins. I have a nice antique silver plated bodkin that I sometimes use as a hair pin/spike. You can find some deadly hair pins out there. :D

I don't know what State you are in, but get your CCW if you can. I didn't have any problem getting one. Just remember that men look at every part of a woman's body, so you will want to make sure you look in the mirror often, to make sure nothing is showing.

When I do carry a firearm, I wear a different watch, and put it on my right hand. This helps remind me not to enter a post office, or any place I would get into trouble carrying. (With a CCW, you are limited on where you can carry).

I hope this helps. Good luck, and be careful.

k
:spyder:
wec12

Post by wec12 »

Deleted.
█ Copycat :mad: █
█ A.K.A. Mr.Dissector █
█ "Think before You Cut" --- Sal Glesser. █
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

hmm... note to self... be extra polite to women in Pittsburgh...
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
wec12

Post by wec12 »

Deleted.
█ Copycat :mad: █
█ A.K.A. Mr.Dissector █
█ "Think before You Cut" --- Sal Glesser. █
bigkahunasix

Bravo Madam

Post by bigkahunasix »

Karen, It is very good to see someone put that much thought into their carry options. I work with both LEO's and individuals and that is the first thing I drill into them. Think about your style of dress, normal body positioning, acts you are required to preform during the day, etc, etc... All of this affects your carry options as to what and where you carry. After working with diplomatic
security, LEO's, private security, military, as well as private individuals; you see alot of bizarre stuff that is wholly impractical, bordering on the criminally stupid.
Congradulations Madam, You did your homework and obviosly did it well.
Bigk6
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

only kidding, of course, we should all try to be extra polite to women everywhere... and not JUST because they might have a beretta in their bra... :p
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Good info Karen, I have a question for you, how hard was it to obtain a CCW in California. I heard it was a nightmare to obtain one.
Karen

Post by Karen »

stonyman wrote:Good info Karen, I have a question for you, how hard was it to obtain a CCW in California. I heard it was a nightmare to obtain one.
It's not so hard. But you have to know the law. Some States like Florida and Utah ( possibly Arizona) have "shall issue" laws. You can get a CCW in those States without even living there, and the CCW is accepted in many other States. In some areas (sometimes), if you already have a CCW in another State, it's much easier to get one in your own State.

In Ca., it depends on which county you reside in. Some counties, like L.A. are almost impossble. But many Sheriffs in other counties will work with you. The main thing is to take a good class. Ask at a gun store, and your local Sheriff's office for a certified instructor in your area. Most instructors and most reasonable Sheriffs want as many good citizens as possible trained to carry. Training is critical.

Just keep a low profile and keep away from bad places. If you are a drinker, don't even bother appling for one. You will make a foolish decision and end up in jail.

I'm a very responsible person. I don't drink, fool around or hang around with questionable people. I think if someone lives a life with lots of drama, having a gun will only make life very dangerous. Carrying a gun is a very serious thing. I would encourage someone to think long and hard before doing this. Especially in a anti-gun State or City.

I'd especially like to see more women licensed to carry. If you do get a CCW, keep quite about it. Don't brag to all your friends and co-workers. Practice shooting your firearm often. Learn and OBEY safety laws and rules.

I saw an Attorney and paid him a retainer fee. Just in case.

Read "In the gravest extreme" by Ayoob. This is a must.

k
:spyder: