How were you introduced to Spyderco...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I received my first Spydie as a gift, back in the 90's. It was an AUS 8 Delica with wide molded clip, but it wasn't quite what I wanted. So a couple of days later I bought the Jess Horn lightweight, also in AUS 8. I carried and used both off and on (and still do) but frankly, they didn't really impress me that much. They were good knives, but not what I called excellent, so my search continued in other directions for several years.

Then, a couple of years ago, someone gave me a newspaper article about VG-10 steel which mentioned Sypderco was using it in a couple of models. The steel looked interesting, so I began looking into Spyderco knives again. I had no idea that they even made higher end knives, as my old AUS 8 blades were what I had associated with the name for years. Now I own about forty, and they are about all I carry and use :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Tank

Post by Tank »

Saw one in a catalog in 1992(US calvary or Cabelas)Dont remeber now, and it was serrated and had a pocket clip :eek: so I had to have one. It was a C05 Standard. I now have 18 spydies. Soon to be 19. going to order a caly 3 with my next bonus check :D
-John
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Is it bad if I don't remember? It was either late 80's or early 90's. I know I bought my green Jester in the mid-90's.

I had a balisong that I loved, but it wasn't practical to carry on me. It is the first non-auto opening knife that I can remember seeing. Guess I have had my spyder for too long, I really don't like any of the other style one-handed knives. (Though I do own a Buck Tac-Lite that I sometimes carry)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

About a year ago I was researching steels, used for knives and I found Steel FAQ by Joe Talmadge on Blade Forums. I started to read everything there and it was a lot of talk about Wal-Mart Native. I decided to get it just to try S30V. I like it, but I still had more BM than Spydercos. Couple month later I was looking for gent’s folder with nice wood handle and one gentleman advised me Kopa Cocobolo and this was bite of the Spyder.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I was walking down the street about 10 years ago and found one laying on the ground. What a great little knife it was. But just like a stray dog that you can't keep in the yard it ran away. To this day I don't know how I lost it. I think it was a delica but it had an integrated FRN clip.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
denn

Post by denn »

picking up stuff that belongs to someone else from the streets isn't exactly "integrity is being honest even no one is watching" ;)

but hey, you were a kid, ofcourse you picked it up. i street-scavenged as well, age 6 to 11..... :cool:
cdf

Post by cdf »

I got a triangle sharpmaker @ 1981 , fantastic . Got a couple of workers round about 1983 , subsequently a Mariner , and a Police . After that a long Hiatus , mostly carrying Benchmades/customs . Started packing Spyders again in the last couple of years .

Chris
Karen

I feel naked without one...

Post by Karen »

My Dad gave me a SE Endura about 10 years ago. I have carried one every day since, until a few months ago. I bought a native, then another, then a SE Chinook, then a SS SE Delica ....

k
:spyder:
JaM

Post by JaM »

I dont know... wich came first, the forum or the knife.

I "needed" another knife, somehow. I saw a Salt 1 PE in a local shop, did a search on the interweb, bought the knife after that, and here I am.

I did see spydercos before that, but I've never looked into them. "Cold steel" and "SOG" (even Buck) were names I was more familiar with, and I thought that those names equalled quality (they do, to some extend).

Guess I was wrong :o ...

Favorites: D4 (EDC) PE, E3 or Wayne Goddard both PS(Kitchen work), Tasman Salt SE for "utility" work.

Upcoming models: E4 trainer + E4 PE/SE in ZDP (if I can afford it).
Hope to use the trainer for my jiu-jitsu "werkstuk" (self-made kata you need to show to go from blue-->brown, and for 1st Dan (black) also).
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Although I always liked knives and I always was interested in martial arts and self defense my introduction to Spyderco started with a rather serious infection of my right leg and a knife encyclopedia with pictures of the Q and R.
The infection led me to believe I should consider carrying a knife again and the pictures led me to the company.
Bought a CE Endura 3 first. A Cricket and a Salsa second, a Manix third and some fifty others afterwards I guess.
Personal favorites are the Mini Manix and the waved Endura 3 but I like to change my EDC on a regular basis for fun. Have carried my first Endura for over a month recently and I am carrying a Kris at the moment. I thought I had slowed down on buying in 2006 until I started counting some impulse buys and a few gifts. I am no collector however and I will never become a real collector because I am not too fond of CC numbers on my knives.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

At my former job there was a guy who carried one big mother(in my eyes) of a folder, a CRKT M6 Tanto.

I really liked that knife and long story short, I bought one just like that and got a CRKT catalogue to booth. After buying several CRKT's, the shop where I bought the knives, gave me a 2005 Spyderco catalogue.

I first didn't like them funny blades at all, but after buying a SaltI/PE and later on a NativeIII/SE, I was hooked.

I have about 40+ Spydies now(I've carried and used them all) and still counting..... :D
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
fyunchclick

Post by fyunchclick »

I always thought Spydercos were hideous, whether I saw them in movies, mags, or catalogs. The hump in the blade and the hole just didn't appeal to me. Then one day I bought a Swick because I needed a neck knife.

"Not bad, sharp as ****, real comfy, durable, and it isn't too horrible looking. hmm..."

Something about that little :spyder: on the blade... mesmerizing. The next knife I purchased was a Dodo. After using it for a couple of months, I couldn't see how I thought so poorly of the designs. 30 to 40 knives later, no other knife has felt more like part of my hand than a Spydie.

My current carry is an SE Calypso jr, and a waved Endura. I'm also currently fawning over my recently acquired Gunting and Shabaria. Beautiful knives, all.
Thalestin

Post by Thalestin »

A long time ago I always thought spyderco knives were ugly. So till about 3 weeks ago I never really payed attention to them. Ive always like knives (since i was like 7) and have a fair collection of them (all used well). Anyways, I was looking into getting the new benchmade mini skirmish off ebay and I came across some spyders. They for some reason intrigued me so I came to this site and to this forum. Here I found all these people that love this particular brand of knife. After reading a good bunch of posts and a little bit about the quality and use of spyderco my view of them changed completly. So I decided to go checvk them out at my local knife store. The quality really impressed me so I decided I had to buy my own. Currently I own a jester and im waiting on a BRG plain blade delica as well as a waved delica. The more i look at them the more I want em..the lava is probably going to be my next buy =)

-Thal
ceya

Post by ceya »

Store I went to for martial arts gear,hang out and to learn chinese. language.

most at one time 337 Spydies

lost 150 of them

now 146

favorite Goddard Jr and Baby.

S/F,
CEYA!
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

When I was about 12 or so I remember going into a camping or army surplus store with my dad. I've always been fascinated with knives so I was looking at the knives in the knife counter under the glass. I do believe it was a SS Police in particular that caught my eye. After that I would occasionally see them and enjoy looking at them but could never understand why they where so expensive.

Cut forward to when I'm 19, working at Target and finding that the little SAK Classic I always carry isn't anywhere close to adequate for work. I actually started out as a Guest Service guy but due to my interest in everything about the stores workings I also ended up doing just about anything no one else wanted to do. Almost all the cart attendants carried knives, usually one of the cheapo Gerber knives that Target sells. I decided one day that I needed a "real" knife. I remembered Spyderco from my youth. I checked around, read reviews and they seemed like just about the best knives around.

At this point in time I was maybe working 20 hours a week so I could focus on becoming a better artist and designer so I could get a real job and wasn't making a lot of money. I had to save up for awhile and bought my first Spyder. A SS SE Harpy. I used that knife heavily for the next few years and only recently had it sharpened. It stayed useably sharp for at least two years. I eventually got a job at a web design firm and started making more money and after that a job at FCIT making decent money. This was when I started buying Spyders like crazy.

My current favorite is probably the recently released Captain but the Harpy will always hold a special place in my collection.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net