12 year old arrested for opening his own gift...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Zac

12 year old arrested for opening his own gift...

Post by Zac »

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,234638,00.html

A 12-year-old South Carolina boy got an unexpected stocking stuffer — a pair of handcuffs — after he snuck into his Christmas gifts a few weeks early.

After a mother discovered her son had unwrapped a Nintendo Game Boy Advance that was meant for him as a present from his grandmother, she called the Rock Hill Police and had the young man arrested for petty larceny, according to the police report filed this week.

"He took it without permission. He wanted it. He just took it," the boy's 63-year-old great-grandmother told the Rock Hill Herald.

The great-grandmother said in the filed complaint that she wrapped the gift and placed it under the tree at her house — then specifically told the boy not to open it.

But when she checked under the tree Sunday, she found the box unwrapped and opened. The great-grandmother relayed the news to the mother, who is 27-years-old.

When the boy claimed he didn't know where the present was, the mother threatened to call the cops. On that threat, the boy went to his bedroom and grabbed the $85 Game Boy, according to the report.

But mom still called the police.

And the boy "showed no remorse" when the police came, mother said.

The boy was charged as a juvenile and released the same day, said police spokesman Lt. Jerry Waldrop. He was never in jail.

"We wouldn't hold a 12-year-old," he told the Rock Hill Herald.

On Monday night, the mother said she didn't know what else to do but call the police in hopes it would be a wake-up call for her son.

The mother told police that the boy has a history of bad behavior, including shoplifting from stores and stealing money from her. The mother said he even punched a police officer last month and was arrested for disorderly conduct for it.

"I'm trying to get him some kind of help," she told the Rock Hill Herald.

FOXNews.com's Michael De Dora, Jr. contributed to this report.

...wow? nice family... :eek:
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
rolyat1978

Post by rolyat1978 »

It sounds as though it's a bit too late for any sort of structured discipline except prison...
denn

Post by denn »

"people are a poor follow-up in evolution to monkeys"

- me-

PS. what a bunch of sickos :mad:
JD Spydo

The KIDs now run the households>> didn't you all know that?

Post by JD Spydo »

YEs SIR!! When they outlawed giving kids a good whipping for doing stuff against the rules the kids quickly caught on that the laws were bent to where they now know that the parents and guardians are restricted from punishing them :mad: .

Now don't get me wrong because in no way would I condone beating him bloody or anything like that. But with the twisted laws in this utterly insane legal system you just simply have the kids running the household.

Now I think it was totally nuts for a parent to have to waste the valuable time of Law Enforcement for a family matter such as that. But when you got the kids running the household and the parents have no way of punishing them I guess she didn't have much of a choice.

This is just one of thousands of indicators how totally sick and demented our society has become. :mad:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

jesus... I would still be unable to sit if I caused that much of a problem for my folks.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

there is no law against spanking, which works just fine. I mean, I turned out ok, right? :p

as i heard before: "i guess his parents dont love him enough to punish him."
JD Spydo

The way it was and the way it should be now

Post by JD Spydo »

Jordan wrote:jesus... I would still be unable to sit if I caused that much of a problem for my folks.
AMEN!! BROTHER!!! AMEN. My dad used a 2 inch wide leather belt and my mom had a favorite tree she cuts switches off of. And I knew who ran the household and it wasn't me :o And you know something? I long for the days of old. ;)
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

**** straight buddy, I am a better person for getting a whoopin when it was needed. People these days are so terrified of their kids coming out later and suing them for doing what is necessary that they forego it and end up with this ill mannered runts you see screaming their heads off in supermarkets. I bet I got the belt less than a dozen times as a kid just because I knew it was a POSSIBLE consequence.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

JD Spydo

this generation ain't got a clue>> about the old days

Post by JD Spydo »

Jordan wrote:**** straight buddy, I am a better person for getting a whoopin when it was needed. People these days are so terrified of their kids coming out later and suing them for doing what is necessary that they forego it and end up with this ill mannered runts you see screaming their heads off in supermarkets. I bet I got the belt less than a dozen times as a kid just because I knew it was a POSSIBLE consequence.
Yes Sir!! I remember one day when I was about 15. I thought I was getting big enough to stand up to ol' dad>> WRONG!!!! I found myself picking myself up off the floor. Needless to say it wasn't a very nice atmosphere at dinner time that evening :o

One time I got caught stealing some candy when I was 9 years old. My dad beat me so bad that I thought I had died and went to ****. Needless to say that ended my career of being a thief :o
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

heh, sounds remarkably familiar...

you know, I used to work in a gas station, I once caught a kid grabbing a twix and going for the door with it. I flipped the maglocks and had him sit and wait for his mom to finish pumping gas. I'll be damnded if the little punk (couldn't have been more than 9) didn't spend the whole time cursing at me like a drunken sailer on shore leave. Just to make it worse, when his mom came in, SHE started in on the same vein with me. IN FRONT OF HER KID!! I was threatened with lawsuits, beatings, and the termination of my employment. Eventually, because she wouldn't pay for her gas until I apologized for stopping her child's petty larceny, a coworker of mine called the cops. All I could think at the time was that the both of them had missed some important time bent over a parents knee. I'm only 21, and I miss the old days.
- Theodore Roosevelt

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Jordan wrote:heh, sounds remarkably familiar...

you know, I used to work in a gas station, I once caught a kid grabbing a twix and going for the door with it. I flipped the maglocks and had him sit and wait for his mom to finish pumping gas. I'll be damnded if the little punk (couldn't have been more than 9) didn't spend the whole time cursing at me like a drunken sailer on shore leave. Just to make it worse, when his mom came in, SHE started in on the same vein with me. IN FRONT OF HER KID!! I was threatened with lawsuits, beatings, and the termination of my employment. Eventually, because she wouldn't pay for her gas until I apologized for stopping her child's petty larceny, a coworker of mine called the cops. All I could think at the time was that the both of them had missed some important time bent over a parents knee. I'm only 21, and I miss the old days.
That epitomizes one of the main problems with society these days. Malignant narcissism.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

My dad would give me **** if I did anything remotely close to causing trouble! I'm still a teenager too, it's not like I'm 25. I generally find myself apologizing for the way my generation acts... I'm one of the few kids at my school that doesn't have a cellphone, I believe the number is something like 4/200 kids in my grade don't have cellphones? why? because I don't need one, so why buy it? Ipod? nope. Surefire? **** yes! When the power goes out, I'll have a light, but they can listen to music! I like my situation better. I actually wrote a 3 page paper on the stupidity of my class for english, it's quite humorous. Another thing is that I'm one of very few kids who has to buy everything for himself. Everyone's parents bought them ipods and cellphones and computers and such. Surefire? bought it myself. Spyderco's? my money. Computer I'm using? my money.
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

good for you buddy, if you have your own money that probably means you have a job... if you have a job, you probably understand the correlation between time and money and thus, the value of a dollar. Believe me, when you and your classmates enter the working world you will have the upper hand. I have been working since I was fifteen and am **** proud to say that everything I have I have on my own merit. I may not be on time with my rent everymonth, but the check draws on my bank account. I salute you, the world could use a few million more like minds. Just hang in there, when half of your cellphone and ipod toting pals are living with the folks you will be out in the world making your own way and holding your head high.
- Theodore Roosevelt

bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

Well JD you have again beaten me to it. I agree with you 100%. I see friends with kids bend over backwards being their kids friend instead of their parent. Those kids key into that weakness and then exploit it for life. The way they speak to their parents and most other adults is appauling. I am a former Marine and these kids make ME blush. They ignore parental guidance, curfews, simple chores, anything they don't agree with. And the parents take up for them and make excuses for them. Society is going to **** in a handbasket. Accountability for ones actions, respect, contributing to society, all these things are unknown to the majority of the last 2 to 3 generations.
God help them when SHTF. Bigk6
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Arrested for petty larceny... that's petty all right!

That said, hopefully it will be a good enough wakeup call for him. Don't know if it'll be enough though.

Parents not teaching right and wrong, schools not allowed to teach right and wrong, where are we going?!?

Somehow, I'm reminded of a certain Bible verse:

Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6.

And for the record, I'm 18, just out of high school.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Axlis

Post by Axlis »

JD Spydo wrote:YEs SIR!! When they outlawed giving kids a good whipping for doing stuff against the rules the kids quickly caught on that the laws were bent to where they now know that the parents and guardians are restricted from punishing them :mad: .

Now don't get me wrong because in no way would I condone beating him bloody or anything like that. But with the twisted laws in this utterly insane legal system you just simply have the kids running the household.

Now I think it was totally nuts for a parent to have to waste the valuable time of Law Enforcement for a family matter such as that. But when you got the kids running the household and the parents have no way of punishing them I guess she didn't have much of a choice.

This is just one of thousands of indicators how totally sick and demented our society has become. :mad:
I agree with you on both points JD

1. "Spare the rod, spoil the child"
2. I believe these people were just after the media attention, and the boy probably just got a kick out of it.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I learned my manners from my grandmother (apprently 'now' isn't the magic word :o ). Other than that I was pretty much let loose. "do what you want but don't get caught for it 'cause it'll be your *** in the wringer not ours".

Dad only beat me once, my grandparents all took thier turns with wooden spoons, flyswatters (with or without the plastic hunk on the end), belts, rulers.... or flat out open hands. Dad kinda gave up when "I'm bigger than you" didn't work. :p

While it may be illegal to beat a child, it doesn't take more than a few well placed swats for obedience. My niece gets away with murder with my sister, but listens very well to me. Why? Because no means no, and repeated attempts mean a swat on bare skin. We still have lots of fun, she just knows that I don't joke around when I say no.

As far as the youth today not appreciating the value of a dollar, it's pretty easy to see which ones actually bought thier own stuff and which ones were given it by thier folks. Just watch which ones actually respect it. Bought my first cell at 16, bought my first comp (the same one I'm working on now, but with lots of mods over the years) at 17, and signed on a 5yr financing on my first car at 19 (not my parents, MY car). See lots of kids driving $15-20K cars that never put a cent into it, I was driving a $10K car on my own dime.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Jordan wrote:heh, sounds remarkably familiar...

Guess the fruit didn't fall too far from the tree eh?

My dad use to hand me his pocket knife to go cut a switch with. God forbid I came back with a leaf. He would cut the whole **** tree down and whip me with it.

Too much time out.

Parents trying to be friends.

Getting in touch with your inner child.

Not accepting responsibility for your actions, or your child's actions.

The system as a whole has parents over the barrel afraid to discipline their own child. I understand the need to protect from abuse but somewhere the line has been blurred.

One time when I was a kid, me and Dad were in the barber shop. In comes a guy dragging his son in tow. This was back in the 60's when the long hair thing was in. The boy had hair half way down his back and a peace sign on his shirt.

The father had a garment over one arm and the boy by the arm with the other. He and the boy were definitely not happy with each other. He made the kid sit down in the barber chair. He looked at the barber and said " Either cut this crap off of his head or help me put this on him".

He slung the garment over the boys lap.

It was a dress. :D

Back to the original post, it would be knee jerk to assume that the woman did this without provocation. Sounds to me like the reaction of someone who was fed up with the kids antics.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

"The rod and reproof give wisdom, But a child who gets his own way brings shame to his mother.
When the wicked increase, transgression increases; But the righteous will see their fall.
Correct your son, and he will give you comfort; He will also delight your soul." -Proverbs 29:15-17

All I will say is that both my boys bring incredible delight to my soul, (most of the time :D )
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

hey, nobody is saying boys can't be boys... but time and a place, you know?
- Theodore Roosevelt