ever seen this parrot?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
denn

ever seen this parrot?

Post by denn »

Chucula

Post by Chucula »

that was pretty good, but i can do it better :D
thanks for the link
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

HOLY CRAP!!! :eek: I've seen that bird before! It's a regular at the bird show in the San Diego Wild Animal Park. It's difficult to get a bird to demonstrate so many different behaviors, and this bird is one of the really good ones. I never got to hear this many different demonstrations from the bird, though. At the park during the bird's segment, more time is spent talking about the scientific stuff and waiting for the crowd to finish cheering than actually letting the bird speak, so they only get to do a few sounds and voices. Thanks for sharing that great clip!! :D :D

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
huugh

Post by huugh »

Nothing compared to this species
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Yeah thats an African Grey. I have got one thats about 31 years old now. They are wicked smart. You have to be real careful what you say around them. They pick up those cuss words real quick.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

huugh wrote:Nothing compared to this species
thats pretty cool but i wonder where it heard a car alarm :confused: :D
denn

Post by denn »

huugh wrote:Nothing compared to this species
wow, that IS amazing!

always nice to chill out with David Attenborough on BBC/Animal Planet for some peace and silence :)
Tank

Post by Tank »

Bluntrauma wrote:Yeah thats an African Grey. I have got one thats about 31 years old now. They are wicked smart. You have to be real careful what you say around them. They pick up those cuss words real quick.
We have one that is 11 and wicked smart is soo true. These days ours spends most of the time talking and yelling at the dogs and loves to make jokes and laugh at them. She is lots of fun.
-John
dialex

Post by dialex »

Thanks for the link, it brought a smile on my face (and God knows how I needed it) :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
snuffaluff

Post by snuffaluff »

you can't really compare the Lyrebird though can ya? I mean, the A.Grey is smart. It can tell you what different colors and shapes are. And talk! i don't think the Lyrebird talks.

Anways, that's a great clip and I'm gonna go spread it around.
huugh

Post by huugh »

snuffaluff wrote:you can't really compare the Lyrebird though can ya? I mean, the A.Grey is smart. It can tell you what different colors and shapes are. And talk! i don't think the Lyrebird talks.

Anways, that's a great clip and I'm gonna go spread it around.
Understanding to language terms etc. is common mystification often credited to animals. It is just repetition of memorized actions launched by some input (specific sound, word (=specific sound), specific movement etc).

Dolphins and anthropoids are only animals yet known to us that posses the ability to (or acting as they would be able to) communicate by abstract terms.
NoBite

Post by NoBite »

huugh - your statements used to be the commonly accepted truth. However, the latest findings take dispute with those findings. For reference, read Animals in Translation, by Temple Grandin. This is a fascinating look at animal behavior.

I have kept African Greys for 24 years. They surprise me often.