Silver S Minireview

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr Blonde

Silver S Minireview

Post by Mr Blonde »

The S is one of those irresistible designs that you just ‘find’ a use for. I got plenty of small pocket folders, and even more little big knives. Yet the cutouts on the S do look cool and the design is a refinement of the Salsa I carried for quite a while. A few e-mails with my friend Rorsach (http://www.scarysharp.com) sealed the deal; I had to have a silver S. Although -to me- the S is a handy novelty design, I was still curious to see how functional it is.

Salsa generation II
The S looks like it started out like a Salsa and was put through boot camp. Apart from losing weight, it got shot up a bit too. The holes are everywhere, making the S ultra light. The blade has been narrowed down as well, resulting in a nice and pointy tip. The ‘blunt’ tip on the Salsa was its only real drawback. The clip design is the same on the S as it was with the Salsa. The maker is still from Taiwan, but he seems to have had a course in fit and finish. The S’ fit and finish is steps above that from the Salsa. In my S, there is no blade play in any direction (even after disassembly, but more about that later) and the edges on the handle are nicely rounded.

Clip
The clip on the S is a nice reversible wireclip. I love wireclips because they feel great and they are low profile when clipped to the pocket. This clip had to be moved on the other side for left-handed carry. That procedure didn’t get any easier, compared to the Salsa. Sure there is one less screw in the handle to loosen, but I still needed to disassemble the entire knife to change the clip. I wanted the non-clipside ‘clip screw’ to sit flush with the handle. That’s why I needed to switch the entire “barrel-screw-assembly”. The male part of the clip screw assembly has a much better grip on the clip too. The female part simply doesn’t hold the clip down as well; the clip started to shift a bit after a week.

Lock
Taking the S apart (sorry no camera was around), revealed two rubber-like washers and amazingly few parts. Adjusting the compression lock seemed a bit tricky at first. The lockbar either barely contacted the tang, or it went almost all the way over to the opposite end of the tang. In the end I realized that in both cases, there was no blade play. So I decided to go with the ‘lock bar almost all the way over on the tang’. The lockbar hasn’t moved in little less than a month’s carry, use and flicking. The (un)locking tab is a bit sharp and small. It could be a little bigger so it bites my thumb a little less. This little inconvenience is slightly exaggerated by the fact that the lock bar tends to stick a little to the tang. I certainly have no fear of the lock accidentally disengaging, but the Golden made compression locks are a bit more refined in this area.

Blade
I was quite anxious to see how the cutout blade would perform. The cutouts in the R2 fill up almost immediately with cardboard or food. Not so with the S, as I found out. The blade’s holes, combined with that wonderful flat grind, are nicely finished. The edges of the cutouts are rather smooth and don’t grab onto everything you cut. Apart from not feeling much drag, the holed also don’t clog up much. And even when the holes do clog up, with ‘amandelspijs’ for example (my fellow Dutch forumites will understand), the blade still cuts and cleaning was easy with a brush, soap and running water.

The 440C blade holds its edge well enough. Subjectively I’d say it’s a notch better than the AUS 8 in the older Salsa. The S needs a bit more rinsing than other knives and I haven’t seen any rust spots yet. Then again, I haven’t had this knife long enough to get really ‘sloppy’ with it.

I really love the jimping on the blade spine behind the hole and in the choil. The jimping could be just a hint rougher because a like to ‘feel’ the grip if that makes any sense. I can tell you that the jimping is fine enough not to chafe, even on the thinner skin of my index fingers in the choil.

Pivot inconveniences
The pivot did loosen up by itself regularly. I am sure it was because I took the S apart for a thorough clip change. A little drop of superglue solved it. I also found that dirt accumulates on the tang around the pivot through the little holes around it. It rinses out easy enough though.

Overall
The S is definitely a much improved variation of the Salsa. The tip is much more useful in everyday cutting chores. The grip is thinner but still just as great. The grip is both secure, comfortable and versatile; kind of reminds me of the Li’l Temp grip.

Moreover, the S is incredibly light. If you’re into trekking or climbing where weight is a very important factor then the S is the cutting tool for you. It’s as light as paper and the lock seems really solid. Cleaning is easy because of the cutouts. Because of those same cutouts, you do spend more time cleaning this knife than with a regular design.

The NKP-friendly factory is very high on the S. It shares the ‘techie/meccano’ look of the Polliwog with the friendly rounded shapes of the Salsa. The S looks nice and works better than I expected.

I don’t carry the S in my EDC rotation, because it is still a rather bulky package compared to other folders in that size range. The S had to compete with a few Kopas and a Red Bone Kiwi in my EDC rotation. The S is a bit bigger compared to those designs and still a bit ‘rough’, both in terms of looks and finish. The Kopa and Kiwi boast significantly better fit and finish, than the –admittedly improved- finish of the S. Don’t get me wrong, for a factory knife the S’ finish is very good. But the Japanese maker of the Kopa and Kiwi is simply on another level. This aspect is reflected in the pricing. If I could only carry one ‘small’ folder and it had to be really lightweight, then this is the knife to get. For now, it’s a lovely curio and desk-knife for me.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

great review -- thanks!

oof -- another knife for my "to get" list... :eek:
lamarrk

Great Knife - "S"

Post by lamarrk »

I agree ... a great review.

I have 3 (2 silver and 1 black) and love the "S". Trying to decide if I want to give them as Christmas gifts or keep them. May just buy more and keep them all!

440C may not be on par with VG10 or S30V but it's a good steel and I'm sure kept the cost down. I'm satisfied. :)
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the review and the very nice pics.

This is a 2.5" pattern that will more than likely continue to be refined. Simple and functional.

The 440C blade, I might add, is MIM (Metal injection moded), edge retention on the CATRA was quite good.

sal
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

awesome review and pics -- thanks for sharing.

so many knives, so little money... :o
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
edrose

Post by edrose »

Great review, thanx Mr. Blonde.
Idon't remember, the "S" is in normal production or a Sprint Run?
(Just to know how much to hurry, 'cause I have a Lil' Temp and a Grey Goddard on the way, so patience is the password now.) :cool:
wec12

Post by wec12 »

Mr Blonde~ It's your fault. I can't wait my S Sliver's coming :D .

Nice review, really!! Maybe I'll post some S's autopsy pics later. Good job as always, man!!
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I would assume the lock is extremely strong relative to the size of this knife. Thanks for the review.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Does anyone else wish that the blade on the "S" was solid like that on the Spring Run R2? I love this design and I really like the cut-outs in the handle but I honestly prefer a solid blade. It's not because I think the blade is weaker with the cut-outs but just a preference looks-wise.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
sal

Post by sal »

We refined the Salsa pattern. This was the result.

What we make the pattern out of will change as we refine the design.

The next version might be an exotic steel, solic and flat ground with bolsters and wood?

The "Navigator" pattern is the next one down in size. It too has been refined.

sal
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

You made a great and informative review for the "S", Wouter. Thanks!
edrose wrote:...I don't remember, the "S" is in normal production or a Sprint Run?...
It's in normal production, the SKU is C109. Mate, I'm aware with the feeling that says "I want it NOW". :p
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
kpd151

Post by kpd151 »

I have both the black and the silver. They seem to be great knives. The Taiwan stamp conspicuously placed on the blade was a bit unappealing but the knives that I have really seem to live up to the Spyderco standards. Does anybody know if there is a plan for a serrated version???
rorschach

Post by rorschach »

Excellent review Wouter! Those pics are sweet!
Definitely an improvement on the Salsa, and the office-peeps at work seem to like it too.

:][:
-Rorschach :][: RHOS
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Sal I really think that the S/Salsa pattern could take on an interesting design path. My suggestion would be to see it evolve into the ultimate NKP edge-u-cation model. As Rorsach mentioned, and I've experienced this as well, it is a very NKP friendly package, and functional too which is what everybody looks for in the end.

To be honest, I'd rather see the Caly III evolve with bolsters/wood/high performance steel. That pattern is much more along the lines of my 'perfect EDC'.

The Salsa/S pattern could again become my perfect 'travel knife' (switched to a yellow Salt now) if it came without a lock (a la UKPK), an H1 blade (for swimming), and some nice blue G10 (a la Dodo/Yojimbo).

Wouter
wec12

"S" Autopsy by Mr.Dissector

Post by wec12 »

Sorry about bad lightening; I did my best :( .

Forgot 2 washers :p :

I think "S" would be categorized as a "daily knife", not for SD. See the lock:
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Mr Blonde wrote: To be honest, I'd rather see the Caly III evolve with bolsters/wood/high performance steel. That pattern is much more along the lines of my 'perfect EDC'.
Wouter
I love this idea. I would love to see more Spydercos with bolsters and wood.

Great review, Wouter
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Thanks for the review and nice pics Wouter :cool:

"Amandelspijs" ????? Yuk! :eek: :eek: :D Well, tastes differ I guess ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Thanks for the great pics and review, always a pleasure to read and view! :)
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Wouter, nice review. I've carried mine a few times. Now I'm just waiting to see if some company will step up and do a custom one. I haven't talked my company into it yet :( I'd like to build a prototype to show them. I just need to find someone that will laser cut me a blade or 2 :D
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

wec12 wrote:I think "S" would be categorized as a "daily knife", not for SD. See the lock:
Nice pics Wec12. I don't necessarily agree with you on the lock. Yes the lock tab thingy is small. But don't forget that this part is compressed between the stop pin and the tang. The lock-tab-thingy is not holding the blade open by itself, it's compressed by other parts. Of course, the S is not designed as an MBC knife, but the lock is stronger than those pics would indicate. The handle and opening mechanics is actually quite good for MBC; as it was with the Salsa and the Li'l Temp which I feel is related to this design.

Wouter