Kuboton question?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
KSDbass

Kuboton question?

Post by KSDbass »

Ok, first, how big are these things? I'm looking for one about 4 inches around, and 5-7 inches long. Are they all this size, or does it vary from one to another?
edit: I'm looking at the Cold Steel Koga SD 1 series, but since I'm not really crazy about buying from Cold Steel, is there one around the same size and shape?
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Kubotan: Can be had in a variety of sizes...The best ones are around 6" and made from Aircraft Aluminum with a big hole thru it for a ring (for your keys) this has the advantage over the Cold Steel one as the keys can then be used as a flail....do a serach on the web you can find them all over the place... If you have any more questions about them just send me a PM....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

Thanks Doc, I might shoot you a PM a little later if I end up having any questions.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
UK KEN

Cold steel Koga

Post by UK KEN »

KSDbass

The Cold Steel Koga is more what I would call a Yawara stick I think of the Kubotan as being much less thick and shorter, though they can be all sizes. :D I have used a Cold Steel Koga for some years now and can recommend them. They will take all kinds of abuse and as the Doc says can easily be drilled to take a key ring (Large)!

In the UK our laws are very restrictive where carrying weapons of defense is concerned. Good substitutes are small torches,(flashlights), and even large magic markers!

Cheers, Ken
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

UK KEN wrote:In the UK our laws are very restrictive where carrying weapons of defense is concerned. Good substitutes are small torches,(flashlights), and even large magic markers!

Cheers, Ken
:eek: Imagine my horror when I learned those crazy Brits were allowed to run around with tactical black magic markers! :eek:

:p :D ;)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.

Post by 224477 »

Coldsteels kubotan look more like "things" for sexual activities... :rolleyes:
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
UK KEN

Alright, Already!

Post by UK KEN »

[quote="zenheretic"] :eek: Imagine my horror when I learned those crazy Brits were allowed to run around with tactical black magic markers! :eek:

:p :D ]

Gets the job done and allows you to sign your work too! :eek: :D ;)

Ken

Here are a few more that I think would do the trick! ;) :eek:
Attachments
Impact tools.jpg
Impact tools.jpg (87.08 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
argyll

Post by argyll »

Those are some nice looking eskrima sticks (the speckled ones). Do you remember where you got them?

Best regards,

Argyll
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit -- Ovid (He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)
UK KEN

Eskrima sticks

Post by UK KEN »

argyll wrote:Those are some nice looking eskrima sticks (the speckled ones). Do you remember where you got them?

Best regards,

Argyll
Yes, indeed the Eskrima/Jo staffs came from Playwell.

Link: http://www.playwell.co.uk/store/acatalo ... affs_.html

They feel great in the hand! :) I hope that this helps. :)

Cheers, Ken
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

Rick Hinderer makes a really nice Kubaton. check it out.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Cold Steel's Koga is good stuff. They now have the smaller koga 2. kubaton's koga's, just do a search or just p.m. Doc for a good perscription. Take care and God Bless You All.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

argyll wrote:Those are some nice looking eskrima sticks (the speckled ones). Do you remember where you got them?

Best regards,

Argyll
Always opt for Rattan that still has the outer skin on them...ones where it is removed are weaker and won't hold up to the constant riggors of stick hitting stick ....be careful...some spotted rattan (to simulate natural burn marks that occur at high speed sparring) are nothing more than a painted spot on de-skinned rattan to make it look good...in the past these sticks have only been functional for a couple of hours of stick training before starting to unravel and fall apart or crack....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

Thanks everybody, I should have a new kuboton soon.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

A standard sized kubotan is 5.5" long and .5" in width.

Several years ago I ordered a number of kubotans on the internet, I believe it was from SUPERFOOTS.com (Remember Bill Superfoot Wallace from the '80s? He was a bad guy in some Chuck Norris films, and used to sell a stretching rack for martial artists.)

The prices were good, something like $3 or so for each. These had the "pointed" ends, anodized in several colors. I have a deep blue one on my keychain at this moment.

If I may, I have information about a source for some cool stuff. Please, if this runs afoul of any forum rules, I will remove it, but I think it serves the membership here and I have no affiliation with the man other than as a satisfied customer:

I recommend a guy whose username is "lcranston" (that's LIMAcranston) at EDCforums... Get in touch with him there, he machines titanium kubotans, and koppos as well. When he's able to get the materials at a reasonable price, that is. I bought a titanium kubotan from him for $45 shipped. I think he gets $55 for square koppos. I also bought a pair of anodized, VERY nicely crafted titanium CHOPSTICKS from him for $55. I have to recommend the guy. His name is Lamont, and he's very friendly and accommodating.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."