Favorite non-Spyders

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
slacker

Post by slacker »

My BM 710HSSR and BM 42 are the only other non-spydies I have that see much action. The 710 is a great blade, and the M2 steel has proven itself to be a real workhorse for me. Just wish the G-10 was grippier like on my spydies.

The 42...well, it isn't exactly to carry one around these here parts, but I love to flip it in and around the house. :p
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

I likely shouldn't admit this, but lately, I've been carrying a CRKT S2 framelock (Ti scales & ATS-34). The poor man's Sebbie ... Unbelievable knife for he money.
Steve
oregon

Post by oregon »

Stevie Ray wrote:I likely shouldn't admit this, but lately, I've been carrying a CRKT S2 framelock (Ti scales & ATS-34). The poor man's Sebbie ... Unbelievable knife for he money.

I second that motion SR.

This one was a victim of my anodizer.

All the best,

oregon
BOK

Post by BOK »

Those S2's are a great deal. I'd carry mine if the clip weren't so horrid.
mr.vu

Post by mr.vu »

Another banana in the house!

Vu
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Is the banana just a nick name for the CQC-8 or is it a nick for all Emersons? Just curious. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

David Lowry wrote:Is the banana just a nick name for the CQC-8 or is it a nick for all Emersons? Just curious. :)
It's just a nickname for the CQC-8 because when it's closed, it's shape resembles that of a banana.

The CQC-8 is used by the British SAS. Outstanding knife. It's my favorite Emerson, and one of my all-time favorite knives of any brand. That long, sweeping blade slices like there's no tomorrow!
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Ahh ok. Thanks Jimd. It is a nice looking knife. I love thumb discs.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

for me, that seems to go by phases. Currently I am in my Leuku phase. I took my old one out, sharpened it one everning and it feels like it cut anything. I really like outdoors knives. This particular one is a combo set from Kellam.
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

oregon wrote:Image

I second that motion SR.

This one was a victim of my anodizer.

All the best,

oregon
Great job on the anodizing. I really like the blue color. Somebody else commented on the clip, but I just cannot complain given the workmanship and materials that went into this particular knife (for the price). I'm not a huge CRKT fan, but this model made a believer out of me.

CRKT can manufacture a really nice knife when they want to. :)
Steve
oregon

Post by oregon »

Stevie Ray wrote:Great job on the anodizing. I really like the blue color.
Thank you kindly.

Once you are set up the annodizing is a doodle. Starting with a terrific knife helps a bunch. I used a surplus DC power supply along with stuff from around the house. Image

All the best,

oregon
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

I need to read up on how to do anodizing. I'm just sort of guessing that it takes a little practice to get it right?
Steve
oregon

Post by oregon »

Stevie Ray wrote:I need to read up on how to do anodizing. I'm just sort of guessing that it takes a little practice to get it right?
Anodizing titanium is a doodle. All you are doing is "rusting" the titanium quickly with electricity. That is, you are laying down an ultra thin layer of titanium oxide, never thicker than 5/1,000,000 inch thick. The thickness of the rust dictates the color you see. Some colors are impossible, like red and black.

The simplest setup is to use one or more nine volt batteries and "paint" the anodization on. Here is the setup for that (the "paint is baking soda and water (any liquid that conducts electricity will work): Image

Best,

oregon
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

TheKnifeCollector wrote:My favorite non-Spydies are my:
CRK knives & Matt Cucchiara "Gecko" knife.

Picture is courtesy of The Knife
Cellar
TKC, I think I have the Exact same tastes in knives coz it seems everything I check into (from one of your posts...)....like the CF Military, Bark rivers, and now Cucchiara's I Like! :rolleyes: Are you playing some Jedi Mind Tricks, or somenthin'? :D
But it sure is getting expensive now with Customs.....

Here's an awesome one from Matt's website:
http://www.cucchiaraknives.com/skeleton2.jpg
http://www.cucchiaraknives.com/skeleton5.jpg
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Stevie Ray wrote:Great job on the anodizing. I really like the blue color. Somebody else commented on the clip, but I just cannot complain given the workmanship and materials that went into this particular knife (for the price). I'm not a huge CRKT fan, but this model made a believer out of me.

CRKT can manufacture a really nice knife when they want to. :)
I have to say that I agree with you guys about the CRKT S-2. Outstanding knife, especially for the price it went for. I feel there's been a big hole in the Ti framelock market ever since they DC'd it. That's why I'm so happy that Spyderco is releasing the Catbyrd in the near future. 3.5" full flat grind Ti framelock Byrd model. Also, CRKT is probably the company I turn to most if not Spyderco and Cold Steel for fixed blades.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Episteme

Post by Episteme »

I have quite a few knives that I really like that are Non-Spyderco:

1.) SOG SEAL 2000 fixed blade (7'' blade)
2.) Cold Steel XL Voyager Tanto-point (5" blade, fully serrated)
3.)Cold Steel Kobun (5.5" fixed blade tanto)

In the mail is a Cold Steel Ti-lite with 6'' blade and Zytel scales. This supposedly is a folder designed in the tradition of the 1950's 'James Dean' switchblade, although the Ti-Lite is manual opener. The blade is stilleto-like, although with a single edge.
I actually like Cold Steel's products. I think that they are reasonably priced, and well-made / durable. The only thing that I can do without is the unnecessary criticism that Lynn Thompson pontificates against other knife companies. So far though, it seems that his blades have held up to the hype; no small order considering the outrageous claims that are made about Cold Steel.
Anyone else like this company's products?
-Mike
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

jaislandboy wrote:TKC, I think I have the Exact same tastes in knives coz it seems everything I check into (from one of your posts...)....like the CF Military, Bark rivers, and now Cucchiara's I Like! :rolleyes: Are you playing some Jedi Mind Tricks, or somenthin'? :D
But it sure is getting expensive now with Customs.....

Here's an awesome one from Matt's website:
http://www.cucchiaraknives.com/skeleton2.jpg
http://www.cucchiaraknives.com/skeleton5.jpg
Jedi mind tricks I play not young Jedi. Seen I have of this skeleton knife. (All this is said in my best Yoda voice.)
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."