Ayoob for EDC (as opposed to Mannix or Chinook)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGreatGonzo

Ayoob for EDC (as opposed to Mannix or Chinook)

Post by TheGreatGonzo »

Once again, I find myself prostrate at the feet of the Spyderco experts begging for crumbs of information. Please help out a newbie.. :)

How does the Ayoob compare in strength (blade and locking mechanism) to the Mannix or Chinook? If I were looking for a very strong daily carry knife that, in addition to being used for defensive purposes as a back-up to my duty weapon (I'm a LEO), was also good for utility purposes, would the Ayoob seem as good of a choice as the other two? Any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Gonzo
Sometimes good people have to do bad things to bad people to keep bad people from doing bad things to good people.
argyll

Post by argyll »

While all three are great for defensive purposes and have strong locks, I think that the Ayoob, with its slender blade, would be the least suited for hard utility use.

Best regards,

Argyll
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit -- Ovid (He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

Mini Manix would be perfect for your situation. You wont find many folders that have the lock strength of the Manix or Chinook. In my eyes the Manix is a much better edc than the Chinook. Its blade is just a whole lot more practical than the Chinook.
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

i dont think you will use the knife much for SD because you have a gun, so i would try to get a knife that focuses on utility and can be used for sd rather than the opposite (an sd knife that can be used for utility).

so mini or full manix is my 2 cents
Saint-Just

Post by Saint-Just »

Chucula wrote:...so mini or full manix is my 2 cents
Couldn't agree more. Manix is awesome as a utility, and looks (is) really big if you have to use it for SD. If it can scare the BG, all the better!

Yous other option for SD is the dragonfly: you pull it out, the BG rolls on the floor crying with laughter and you kick him good where it "incapacitates" :D :D :D ... Sorry :o
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre!
Gal. P. Bosquet, 25th Oct 1854