Should I get: Stretch or ATR?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

Should I get: Stretch or ATR?

Post by The Mastiff »

There are many, many wiser and more experienced knife knuts here. I'm trying to decide between the two for a EDC/medium use right front pocket filler.

Right now I like the lock back feature better than compression lock.

Self defense is secondary as I carry a G27/or23/or .357 snubbie.

I'm right handed, but have nerve damage in my right arm & hand ( causes me to drop things I'm not concentrating on), and my left arm is currently useless after my second surgery. Much physical therapy again before next operation.

I'm not worried about the kraton (?) on the stretch hanging up in my pants pocket. Thank you kindly,and money is always an issue. joe
Zac

Post by Zac »

Given you have nerve damage, I would do the Stretch as it is a good gripper in any condition and I just really like the blade style whether it be wood working, every day chores, or food prep. I have nerve damage to my left thumb hindering the function of most of that hand (really now, what good are our hands without a thumb?) so I know how frustrating that can be. :(
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

I would go with the stretch as well, in your case! Much as i like the ATR, it's a little tough to open. The Stretch, well, you have to try one and see if it fits you, but it's top notch design and useability!
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: The ATR is much more of a hard use knife. Mine has the most aggressive serrations of any spydie I've seen. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I can't say anything bad at all about the ATR, it's what is in my pocket today. :cool:

However, in your case I believe the Stretch would be better, given the nerve damage and preference to lock-backs.

Good luck on you decision, and prayers sent your way for recovery and successful surgery. God Bless! :)
cornelis

Post by cornelis »

The Stretch. It is a very user friendly knife. A knife that you are going to
love! It is a versatile knife, a hunter ,a knive for food prep etc.
The broad ,flat ground blade makes this working knife an all-rounder.

Greetings
Cor.
AUDACIA MAGIA EST
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Hi Mastiff , have to agree in your situation the Stretch would be a good pick . Wore mine today , get it out once in a while . Only peev I have is the Kraton inserts to me are a little grabby in and out of pocket , other than that it is a very fine lockback , and you can choose tip up or down . Worth a try !
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Personally I don't care for the ATR at all so I have to say "get the stretch".
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
JD Spydo

Ti ATR >> a win win deal

Post by JD Spydo »

AS the old beer commercial used to say>> "GO FOR THE GUSTO"!! In other words go for the "Real McCoy" of the 2 models. Get the ATR but go all the way and get the Titanium version. It will kick your wallet pretty hard but believe me you won't regret it.

Now if you are a huge Wharncliff fan then maybe the STretch might be worth consideration. But the TI ATR could also be a super investment at the rate that they are disappearing.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
arnon

Post by arnon »

I think you should have both of them...
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I appreciate the answers and especially the prayers :) everybody. JD, getting the Ti version would cost enough to almost buy both. Right now that's too much money. I do have a thing for ti handles as I have posted around here before. Maybe in the future. I think I'm going to go with the stretch for now. Thanks again. Joe
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

yes :) :D ;)
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

No question, the ATR!
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe
scolby

Post by scolby »

The ATR has a big, thick, honkin' blade with a deep hollow sabre grind. The stretch has a thinner, flat ground blade perfect for slicing and cutting.

For regular use, keep the steriods in your gun and get the slicer (Stretch) for your pocket.

You might want to consider the clip as well. The ATR has a very different kind of clip than the Stretch. The clip on the ATR is big and bulky, the Stretch has the standard spyderco clip. I never liked the ATR or Lil' Temp clips, but YMMV.
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I have an SS ATR and I would say it’s a pretty good hard use knife. However, if I were to pick between the two for EDC, I would probably prefer the stretch. I’m starting to appreciate a good flat grind more and more.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Mastiff, sounds like u picked the right one already!...S T R E T C H! ;) .......especially from the traction/retentiveness standpoint esp. with nerve damage present....
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Mastiff give us your impression of the Stretch at a later date ! Good Luck !
Peterka

Stretch or ATR

Post by Peterka »

I think it could be the Stretch. It is a very nice and useful EDC-knife, pleasant to carry. The ATR is a big knife and the handle may be somethimes to splippery. The blade is not so universal to use. - I have both of my own and like both of them.

:spyder: Kind regards - Peter

Never drink whisky without water and water without whisky.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: the ATR has some of the fewest moving parts of any spydie. hardly anything to wear out, it'll out last us all ;) I love both. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I recieved my Stretch today. So far I love the knife and can see it making it into my EDC rotation. I love the flat grinds. The lockup,blade position and everything else quality control is what I consider perfect ( I don't consider the laser mark in the Spydie hole a defect. I never even noticed it untill that thread pointed it out). I have been doing a lot of carry with my R2 and consider it's blade to be very close to perfection. Now I have another knife I really like with a more comfortable ( to me) and grippable handle. I see by the Glyph that Sal designed it. Something tells me he has extra thick hands like myself. Another winner Sal, but I'm sure you knew that.

This has a thick blade. 3mm, same as the ATR and d'allara (spelling?). It is stout enough for the medium duties I put mine through typically.It cuts and slices very well though, and came very sharp with a perfectly ground edge.

I always attempt to use the right tool for the job so I have never broken any blades from prying etc. I even carry "pioneer tools" in my car for emergencies ( remember the military where each vehicle had an axe, shovel and pick?)

Brother JD did plant a seed in his nicely evil way and I'm saving for, and locating and pricing a Ti ATR. Probably a Scorpius after that. Eric G. has something with that design IMO. The back of the handle would be a formidible self defense device in a justified self defense situation. ( I had to knock a guy unconcious when I was still a a correction officer as this inmate seemed to have it in his mind he was going to kill me. The only thing I had was an empty can of mace so I know that "rabbit" strikes can be very effective in emergencies.

Thank you again for all the very good advice and wisdom that came this way. Sal was right when he stated this was a special place. After a bumpy beginning I really found that out. Regards, Joe L