Big Blades on a Plane

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zac

Big Blades on a Plane

Post by Zac »

Just an FYI for anyone traveling...you CAN transport large knives on planes if you check them with baggage. I took 2 Civilians, a Manix, a Chinook and a Para with me and they said it was fine and I had no problems doing it. Just a heads up given security in the States had tightened.
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
PSU

Post by PSU »

Yep, that is what I do when I travel by plane. I have never had a problem with knives that were in my checked baggage.

However, I sometimes worry that they may be taken by a bag screener that needs a new knife.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

PSU wrote:Yep, that is what I do when I travel by plane. I have never had a problem with knives that were in my checked baggage.

However, I sometimes worry that they may be taken by a bag screener that needs a new knife.
A great secondary use of the spydie hole is to run a zip tie through it and zip it to the internal luggage frame. That was suggested by someone else a month or so ago. Basically anything that would cause a "tosser" to take a lot of time to find and or remove a knife significantly reduces the chances of theft...theoretically. The "tossers" don't have much time to rummage through everlything, so make valuables hard to find or hard to pocket. ;)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
PSU

Post by PSU »

[quote="zenheretic"]A great secondary use of the spydie hole is to run a zip tie through it and zip it to the internal luggage frame. That was suggested by someone else a month or so ago. Basically anything that would cause a "tosser" to take a lot of time to find and or remove a knife significantly reduces the chances of theft...theoretically. The "tossers" don't have much time to rummage through everlything, so make valuables hard to find or hard to pocket. ] That is a great idea. Thanks for the post Zen
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

[quote="zenheretic"]A great secondary use of the spydie hole is to run a zip tie through it and zip it to the internal luggage frame. That was suggested by someone else a month or so ago. Basically anything that would cause a "tosser" to take a lot of time to find and or remove a knife significantly reduces the chances of theft...theoretically. The "tossers" don't have much time to rummage through everlything, so make valuables hard to find or hard to pocket. ]
That's a good idea to remember for the future. Too bad we have to think like that in the first place, though.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I travel by air a ton, at least 3 - 4 times a month..... What I do is carry an older Endura and my trusty Snap-it... What I have done since 9-11 is roll em up inside of a par of jeans, this will keep it out of the screeners eyes and make it less likely to walk away.... I like the zip tie idea I may have to give that a try....
Easer to ask for forgiveness than permission…. :p
markg

Post by markg »

I also throw them in the shaving kit, if the zip tie options is not avaliable.

At least you can carry stuff in checked baggage, because I believe in time, we will only be allow to fly naked! :eek:

Just a note, check when you travel out of the country. I was shocked when I flew out of Cancun Mexico, they HAND CHECK even check baggage. They go through everything by hand, they do it in front of you. Open up everything and check. The first time I had a SOG Paratool in my suitcase... It caused a bit of a stir when he pulled the knife blade out. He asked if it was checked baggage and he put it away. I really hate losing a knife, and even more hate Mexican jails! So when I travel there, I leave stuff at home. Or I buy local and leave there.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

We travel with knives all the time. ;) Of course we usually put them in a Spyderpac with an inventory list, a business card and a catalog. Usually by the time we reach our destination the business card and catalog are gone. :D

I think we're all accustomed to retrieving our checked baggage to find the blue TSA Zip tie attached. :rolleyes:

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Zac

Post by Zac »

markg wrote: At least you can carry stuff in checked baggage, because I believe in time, we will only be allow to fly naked! :eek:
I completely agree with this...I have a few extremity piercings and aparently the metal detectors have been turned up to be more sensitive as it picked that up and everyone acted as if I had a gun in my crotch. And so they asked and they recieved, or saw...and then I was on my merry way.
Zac

Post by Zac »

TazKristi wrote: I think we're all accustomed to retrieving our checked baggage to find the blue TSA Zip tie attached. :rolleyes:
As I love to fish, I generally use 65 or 100 lb Power Pro to tie a bag off where a lock would be...a box cutter will not cut this heavy braided line and only a razor sharp knife will after quite a few cuts.
Tim8557

Post by Tim8557 »

Zac wrote:As I love to fish, I generally use 65 or 100 lb Power Pro to tie a bag off where a lock would be...a box cutter will not cut this heavy braided line and only a razor sharp knife will after quite a few cuts.
Soooo. when you reach your destination on the outbound, just where do you come up with the razor sharp knife to liberate the knife? Many times, I have raced to a golf course to catch my tee time, and find that the TSA has zip tied my golf carry bag and it's difficult to find someone on the tee to slice them off for me.

I almost think it's easier to drive nowadays. Red Bull and Cigars will cover a lot of miles. :D
Tim Dowling
"Remember, Amateurs built the Ark.....but Professionals built the Titanic !"
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Oh I forgot to mention...make sure you include some tiny scissors or nail clips in your luggage to cut the zip tie! Otherwise you might be forced to gnaw it off with your teeth! :D
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Zac

Post by Zac »

Tim8557 wrote:Soooo. when you reach your destination on the outbound, just where do you come up with the razor sharp knife to liberate the knife? Many times, I have raced to a golf course to catch my tee time, and find that the TSA has zip tied my golf carry bag and it's difficult to find someone on the tee to slice them off for me.

I almost think it's easier to drive nowadays. Red Bull and Cigars will cover a lot of miles. :D
A rock or file...the only weakness of braided line is it is not fully abrasion resistant...it is a few minute task though, but grab-baggers would not have the time to pop it open.
PSU

Post by PSU »

zenheretic wrote:Oh I forgot to mention...make sure you include some tiny scissors or nail clips in your luggage to cut the zip tie! Otherwise you might be forced to gnaw it off with your teeth! :D
Lol, I hadn't even thought of that issue. I would have been stuck with a bunch of nice sharp knives that wouldn't be able to cut anything.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i worked for the airlines for about 10 years so i always use a zip tie on the zipper of my bag. if there were big locks and somebody wanted to rifle through your bag they would just twist the lock and the zipper would just snap. when i flew after 9-11 the security had to open my bag which i had already zip tied. i waited and watched (off to the side) and he went to every other bag checker for a knife to cut the zip tie with. no luck (why i dont know since you always see the confiscated ones selling on ebay) anyways he stuck his finger in between the few inches of room that the zip tie would allow and then looked around and stuck the "checked" tag on it :eek: and threw it on the conveyoor belt. boy did i ever feel safe. a 2 cent zip tie just beat the millions of dollars they were spending on security. i hope they have gotten a little better since then. oh and it was O'Hare airport.