What brings you to Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tank

Post by Tank »

For me it was the pocket clip. First knife I ever saw with one and the spyderhole was the bonus.. It was all good from there.
-John
JD Spydo

Doing a lot of things much better

Post by JD Spydo »

Superb Quality and the Integrity of the Company are 2 of the biggest reasons. However I have always been intrigued with Spyderco's "no so common" knife designs. I really love the way they innovate with new blade steels and handle materials. They are never afraid to try something different. I like the fact that their higher end models are made here in the Good OL' USA.

The hole is a neat concept too. Their serration patterns are the best barr none. ZDP-189 introduction has sort of been additional icing on an already well iced cake. GOD BLess America and may GOD Richly Bless the GREAT SPYDER FACTORY :)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

The first thing that I saw when shopping for a knife at the Good Old Army Navy store was an Endura II in SE, and it sure was a BIG knife for a reasonable amount of money. The wicked sharp teeth, slim profile, and substantial heft, along with the clip and funky, yet strangely appealing hole for thumb opening were all such well engineered touches that summed up to equal VALUE! The more I carried it, the more I knew that a Spyderco was a special knife, moreso than the very expensive BM products I had purchased before. Sure, it was different, but I carried that sucker around for at least a year straight. I also picked up a Dragonfly in SS, and liked it for the slim profile, smaller size, yet solidity it provided, and of course those same pointy teeth! (Yep, the teeth were a big appeal!)

Now, 80 knives later, I still love those same features, and even more things that I learned over the years, about Spyderco as a company as well. This place is my virtual home, and you all are part of my family- I just feel like the weird Uncle who sleeps on the couch until 3:00 and drinks all of your beer! (No, not literally- it's symbolism, man!) :spyder: Who else would understand except for you all?
2004 VW R32 :cool:
Got GIN-1?
White Wolf

Post by White Wolf »

It was the ugliest knife I could find. Really, like mony others have said, its the quality, the pocket clip, and the opening hole. i carry my worker every day. the furst SpyderCo I ever bought, but far from the last. :spyder:

It does not matter which hand holds the knife, it only matters that there is a knife
wec12

Post by wec12 »

No more than a year ago, my younger brother wanted a Spyderfly and he gave me a link to Spyderco homepage; that was my very first time checked out Spyderco site. Several months later, I bought another SAK (Delux Tinker) and was wondering how a knife with reliable locking system felt. First, I chose a small cheap Kershaw Chive and thought it was not what I wanted.

Then I found Salt 1 and swore that I will stick with Spyderco :D .

Very unusual design,
Extremely practical, sweet Spyderhole,
Nice steel :D
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I'm new to this forum, but have used Spydercos for a while.

I really like the performance to price ratio. The knives feel and cut extremly well and there are models for almost all knife needs. They just need to make a SE fixed blade dive knife in H1 with a good kydex sheath.. hint hint ;)

The steel quality is above any other knife maker I've seen at the price. If H1 and ZPD lives up to my expectations I'll be even happier.

Big + for their kitchen knives as well. They are forcing most of my other knives into retirement :)

Great forum and Sal (and others from Spyderco) posting with answers really helps as well!
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

I was researching blade steels, and stumbled across the chart on this site as a resource. I quickly became a steel snob(didn't realize til later that any steel can be good if the edge geometry and heat treat are good) and Spyderco was the only company that used good steel, at a reasonable price.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Sal and Spyderco has changed not only the state of the art in knifes. but the whole industry landscape. I've always admired the knives I'd carried but the more I learned, the more I thought it would be a resource to lurk here and get information about everything from sharpening different steels to finding out when and where sprint runs would come out and where they could be found.

As I said, the more I learn, the more in awe of Sal I feel. I was talking to Thomas W. from kershaw earlier today, a company on the move. I knew Sal occasionally gave him advice, as he has done with some others but I didn't know he worked for sal. Sal's influence is throughout the knife industry.

I guess that's why he is in the hall of fame while he is still alive.

Utilize all the resources you can, and always try to learn something new everyday. Something I try to live by when I can.

Fortunately there are some amazing members here also that I have a great deal of respect for also. It's amazing how much I still learn everyday. Joe
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

s30v;g10;stainlessteel liners;spyderhole;and the most beautyfull designs on this planet :)
thad is why i choose spyderco :cool: :D
knifecoop

Post by knifecoop »

During the mid 1980's I became a Spyderco dealer. I did this because Spyderco knives were different, I liked their quality, and I liked their innovative designs (pocket clip, opening hole and serrated edge) also I liked the way they did business.

The challenge then as a dealer was to sell these unique knives (some said ugly) in an area that was and remains a strong traditional pocket knife market. It took a lot of work to sell those early Spydercos (Police, Worker, Standard, & Economy models) to the public. The early adopters were police and fire professionals who immediately saw the usefulness fo the clip and serrated edges.

Life changed, I gave up my retail knife business and moved on to other things. However, I remain a strong advocate for Spyderco and carry a rotation of Spydercos as my EDC knife.

Cheers!
Knifecoop
Stay Sharp!
Andyjd

Post by Andyjd »

1. Quality
2. Function
3. Form
4. Fit

Do i need to explain more ?
:spyder:
Shopping list: Tenacious CE, D'allara
EnRoute: :(
TK

Post by TK »

1. SpyderHole
2. The designs. Pure workhorses, no nonsense.
3. The people behind the knives.
4. This forum.

I only have Spydercos (and a few SAKs).
"I always thought it would be great to have two wives."
"No! You're thinking of a man with two knives."
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

1. The fully serrated blades
2. The deversity of models
3. This forum(despite the fact that it costs me money LOL)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
deputy tom

FRN Endura...

Post by deputy tom »

I was attracted by the serrations,hole and light weight of the FRN handle.The entire package is a winner.tom. :)
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER...Thig crioch air an t-saoghail, ach mairidh gaol 's ceol.
Knifewing

No Mystery...

Post by Knifewing »

I'm a big reader of mystery/crime novels and Elmore Leonard is one of the best writers of the genre. Anyway, I was reading his book "Freaky Deaky" back in the late 80's and came across the following in the first chapter (the character is working his last day on the Detroit bomb squad):

"Chris was wearing a beige tweed sportcoat, an old one with sagging pockets. He brought a Mini-Mag flashlight out of the left side pocket, went down flat on the floor and played the light beam into the four-inch clearance beneath the chair. The space was empty. He came to his knees, placed the Mini-Mag on the floor, brought a stainless Spyderco lockback pocketknife from the right side pocket and flicked open the short blade with one hand in a quick, practiced motion."

I just had to go check what Spyderco knives looked like and was immediately hooked. I'm assuming the character had a Police model...If you're interested, the book's first chapter is about as classic an Elmore Leonard scene as there is...
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Everyone has posted everything I wanted to say ! And there is not enough space to mention all the members I respect on this post along with everyone at Spyderco . God Bless !
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

The first Spyderco knife I ever saw or heard of was a serrated-edge Delica that my brother bought while he was in the army, around the early '90s.

I thought it was the ugliest, most ridiculous-looking knife ever! :eek:
Sure, he demonstrated that it could be one-hand opened, but I was not impressed.

I'm not sure why, but some time later (I think it was more than a couple of years), I just turned a corner and decided no, that's actually a pretty darned cool knife, and so I went and bought one for myself. It was a 60/40 FRN Delica with integral clip (this was about 1993). I also got a PE FRN Delica shortly later, and then collected a few more CE Delicas (up to but not including the Delica 4, which I want to get soon, waved).

Over time I have come to a somewhat evolved sense of what I do or don't like, regarding features. I no longer care much for liner locks; I prefer Ball Bearing Locks and Compression Locks (and don't give me no ball bearing detent like on my black Salsa! :mad: ) I strongly dislike pinned knives -- I must be able to disassemble the knife should I decide I want to. I prefer G10 handles or FRN. I never liked full SE, and I have now reached a point where I prefer total PE, no longer very happy with CE.

I just think it's funny how I didn't like Spydercos at first. Oh, I also totally didn't like my brother's first GLOCK when he brought that home and showed me, either! Now they're about my favorite guns! :D

-Jeffrey
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
bh49

Post by bh49 »

My knife collecting experience is very short, it is less than year (but I was using knives for 44 years before this and carried SAK for three years).
So, what brought me to Spyderco?
First was good quality and top steels at affordable prices. (Where else you can find S30V and VG10 for $40 and ZDP-189 for $70).
Than I discovered terrific designs: good looking, functional knives (opening holes, finger choils, ergo, clip, leaf shape blades).
Customer service. Company not just does repair, company listening us and care about us.
And last, but not the least, I discovered this forum.
This is how I feel.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
bigcat

Post by bigcat »

Because they keep striving for perfection in every thing they make!!!!!!

BigCat
"The Power that made the body, Heals the body."
ChapmanPreferred

203 Sharpener

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I received a Christmas gift in '95 from my best friend at the time David Paul Scott in Quincy, MA. It was the Firefly. The next month I purchased the 203 sharpener in a nylon pouch. That very thoughtful gift from a friend lead me to the best sharpening system I have ever found. Thus my obsession was solidified.