Lockup on Calypso Jr.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jl1

Lockup on Calypso Jr.

Post by jl1 »

I've got a question about the blade lockup on my Calypso Jr. When the blade is extended, everything is tight and works great. However, it's quite loose and off to one side when folded. Is this common for Spyderco lockbacks? As far as I know, there's no way to adjust the blade tension on this particular model. I'm actually a little worried, becuase the blade almost scrapes the inside of the handle when I close it. Any suggestions?
mundele

Post by mundele »

Welcome jl1!!

I also have a Calypso Jr. (the lightweight one, with VG-10 steel). The blade on mine, when closed, nearly touches one scale. It turns out that mine was one of the first batch produced with VG-10 and there was some slight warping in the blade. It is my understanding that Spyderco labelled these knives as such and sold them to dealers at a discount since they werent perfect. The dealer who sold the knife to me didnt mention it, and I couldnt have checked it since I ordered it via the web. Mine has no blade play at all however.

It kinda bothered me at first, but once I started using it I completely forgot. This is one GREAT knife. I carry it nearly everyday. It is my favorite knife.. (well, maybe second favorite. I do love that Military)

If you have any questions about the safety or usability of the knife, then call the customer service line. They'll take care of ya....

--Matt
jl1

Post by jl1 »

Thanks for the response. I'm surprised(and disappointed) to hear that Spyderco knowingly sold defective knives, even at a discount. Mine was just recently bought and the blade appears perfectly straight. The problem is that is wobbles back and forth when closed. Is there normal for a lockback? I know that a liner locked blade shouldn't do this...
mundele

Post by mundele »

Maybe I overexaggerated the situation with my knife. The "warping" is minimal. I'm not at all disappointed with Spyderco for selling these knives. In fact, I think it would have been wasteful for Spyderco not to have sold these knives. This is purely a cosmetic thing (and a minor one at that) and doesnt affect the performance of the knife whatsoever.

It could be that your knife's pivot pin is a bit loose. Some time back someone mentioned tightening theirs by putting it in a vise. Sounds risky to me, but it might be worth looking into...

--Matt
Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

Hi & welcome, My daily carry Calypso jr. also has a list to one side and is now just a bit loose,
just a tiny bit, from use. And boy do I use it!! I'm amazed that I haven't broken the handle at times.
As to your's being a bit of center .not to worry it won't make an ounce of difference in how it
performs. This is one great everyday knife!! Carry it ,use it for awhile then give it up.....if you can.
Toolin

Post by Toolin »

Both of my Spyderco's, an FRN Delica and a SS Endura, have a slight wobble when closed. They are both tight when the blade is out though. Don't worry about it, your knife is ok.
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

My Calypso Jr Ltwt has the blade slanting towards one side when closed. But, it isn't loose. It is tight as can be on lockup. Mine does not rub the blade or tang against the side when opening. If it did, I'd be on the horn to the warranty repair office.

Spyderco knives in general have less clearance on the sides of the tangs than most of the other knife companies. It is fairly normal in the lockback knives, with no liners to have slight circular marks on the sides of the tang area of the blade from opening and closing the blade. But, it shouldn't be rubbing hard, or making much deeper/more noticeable marks on that side of the blade. If it is, then again, I'd call. If the blade is so loose when open that it rattles, then I think you should call about that too.

If it opens smoothly, and is tight upon lockup, and doesn't rattle when closed, I think you're good to go.

Stare