Selling ZDPs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

you can always tell me to go **** myself if you so desire.
Yeah, uh, we're getting kind of close. I'd appreciate if you'd back off now. Thanks. Joe L.
dialex

Post by dialex »

smcfalls13 wrote: Regarding JD's political comments, yes they can be irritating at times(we all should know by now that JD loves to criticise the government, but he has every right to do so, even if you don't agree)
Why shouldn't you criticize the government? You are paying their wages after all.
If you run a company, you have the right (and the obligation) to survey your employees and criticize them if they are not doing their job well. But when it comes to politicians, this subject becomes suddently tabu, like they are a class of untouchable elites (which in fact they are, but on taxpayers expense) :mad:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

The Mastiff wrote:Yeah, uh, we're getting kind of close. I'd appreciate if you'd back off now. Thanks. Joe L.
Gladly. :cool:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

dialex wrote:Why shouldn't you criticize the government? You are paying their wages after all.
If you run a company, you have the right (and the obligation) to survey your employees and criticize them if they are not doing their job well. But when it comes to politicians, this subject becomes suddently tabu, like they are a class of untouchable elites (which in fact they are, but on taxpayers expense) :mad:
I have no problem with criticizing the government, and I do it periodically myself. I was merely pointing out that some people don't take kindly to political attacks. I think it's entertaining personally. But some of the more "patriotic" people seem to take offense to it.

Sorry if that came across as me being against government criticism.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Why shouldn't you criticize the government? You are paying their wages after all.

Dialex, I , like most others do just that. This isn't the place for it though. There are thousands of forums just for that. This is a spyderco knive forum. That was initially my point anyway. Joe L.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

txtroublemaker wrote:Okay, getting back on track here, a ZDP Jess Horn just sold on Ebay with a "Buy It Now" price of $89.99. :D I'd love to see the look on the guys face that paid over two hundred bucks for the first one listed. Looks like prices may be coming back down to reality.
I missed out on the Delica, but I'm more than happy with the ZDP Horn! It is sooooooo sharp. :spyder: :cool: I got it with a pre-Order from a fair and reputable dealer who has yet to screw me on highly inflationary sprints.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
txtroublemaker

Post by txtroublemaker »

Zen,
Don't give up on the Delica, there are deals out there. When the ZDP Caly's were bringing crazy money, I picked one up for $75. Me, just like most of us here could easily put up the cash that some of these ZDP knives are selling for, but why? There was the initial frenzy when they came out, $200 plus for some of the first ones. GP knives had some Jess Horns briefly for a very reasonable price, one went on Ebay for $89. For me, part of the fun is the thrill of the hunt. Good prices are out there, you just need to find them. If Spyderco only made a 600 piece run of ZDP knives and was never going to produce anymore, with out question, I would throw down the money to own one. Not all of these are out and there are more models in the pipeline. I’m not going to throw good money away to be the first kid on the block to have the latest greatest. Now, if I had ten of these laying around, I would absolutely sell them for every penny I could get. Does that make me bad, probably, I’m just being honest. :p
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Hey you Troublemaker, not giving up, just waiting for the next 600 to flood out....I also seem to have forgotten I got my CC# ZDP Delica :rolleyes: so in essence, I have one already, just waiting for the market to kick it down a couple notches to get another.
;)
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

I have not been so amused in a very long time , so here goes ! Don't step on that Dwarf ! Hand me the pliers ! Take that Mr. Smarty Pants Communist ! -Firesign Theater . Just thought it was time to inject something off the wall , I respect all of you , have a good day , and after work enjoy a cold beverage of your choice !
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Manix Guy 2 wrote:I have not been so amused in a very long time , so here goes ! Don't step on that Dwarf ! Hand me the pliers ! Take that Mr. Smarty Pants Communist ! -Firesign Theater . Just thought it was time to inject something off the wall , I respect all of you , have a good day , and after work enjoy a cold beverage of your choice !
Best words yet for this thread. ;)
catamount

Post by catamount »

Joe L.,

This forum is the best that I've seen in terms of posters having civility and respect towards one another.

I don't know what you're used to, but your posts on this thread are inappropriate and offensive by this forum's standards.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

im selling my zdp caly right now :D . I have 3 knives that i like and will admire (blackhawk/spyderhawk/lum FB) but the rest will be used and i dont even want to try sharpening zdp.
I dont have a problem with people selling the knives at higher prices. I think its a great way to make a bit of money if your timing is right--in my case, i think i have already surpassed what i initially paid.
However, I wouldnt be happy if one of those online distributors bought all the zdp delicas from NGK or GPK before i had a chance to click buy.

As a side note, ive notice this place deteriorate a bit over the past few weeks (although i wont point fingers. no, it wasnt just 1 or 2 people). I suggest posting more thoughtfully and with a bit of humility. Then again, it could be my imagination but the advice seems good IMO.
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

[quote="peacefuljeffrey"]I just saw a whole slew of ZDP Delicas selling with "buy it now" for $149!

Hi Jefferey. Those knives are the ones that got me to start this post, there are ten of them, all by the same seller (and as someone pointed out earlier, you can only sell ten at a time). And that was my point. whoever is selling these knives is not a knife collector. To have at least 10 (and probably more) indicates they are in some way a dealer or distributor and should be doing so in a fair practice. I don't mind the high prices so much, ****, if it got back up to $200, I'd sell mine in a heartbeat. Also remember, if companies can sell knives on to us at $40-50 below the recommended price, that means they are buying them for less than that! So for a dealer to be selling Delicas ZDPs for $149 means they are making a 250% profit. Once again, that's not just capitalising, that's abuse.

If the purpose of the Delica ZDP is to get a great ZDP knife out in a cost effective manner to knife collectors such as ourselves, then maybe there should be contracts with the distributors/dealers in regards to prices, preorders and ebay so we, the knife users and collectors, don't end up getting fleeced.

As a note, it's obviously not all like this and there are some great dealers out there. I got my ZDP off some company i'd never heard of, and they were excellent, and then there's NGK etc....
eljay

Post by eljay »

I don't think some of you guys quite get the point of "buy it now". "buy it now" is almost never a good deal. What "buy it now" is for is people who are some combination of impatient, who don't like the auction format, and who aren't particularly price sensitive.

I was listing items at $20 starting price auction, $25 buy it now for a long time and you would get people with very little time left in the auction paying the buy it now price because they just wanted to lock it in and pay immediately without coming back in a few hours to see what happened, and they just didn't care about the $5.

I put a ZDP Delica in my eBay store for $149.95. I didn't expect it to sell any time soon - at the time auctions were ending at $130ish (about like now) and there were a couple a day, and store items show up at the very end of search. I was counting on the fact it's just a couple of cents to list the item in the store for 30 days and if the prices eventually went back up, fine. It sold in a day or two. Why? Because all it takes is one guy willing to pay a $20 premium to not deal with the auction format. He just wanted to pay, get it done, get the knife.

I had a similar knife go for $150 earlier and the buyer commented that he was picking it up because he wanted a knife inexpensive enough to actually use. Think about that one a bit.
speyederlover

Post by speyederlover »

JD Spydo wrote:EXcuse me SIR!! I was just making an analogous comparison of market actions and how they apply pertaining to the subject matter that was brought up on this thread. I was also asserting that the pumped up prices on these ZDP knives are only the fault of the comsumer who falls for those prices. I don't apologize to you or anyone for saying what I said because it was consistent and right in line with the big picture I was trying to get across to my fellow Spyderco knife enthusiasts. So unless you are one of the owners of Spyderco or an official Spyderco Moderator I suggest you keep your petty criticisms to yourself. You have no rights to censor what I say here on this great Forum>> And that goes for Spyeyderlover as well. I am really surprised at you guys> :(
JD,

I'm sorry I gave you the idea that I was on the noob's side as far as his self proclaimed moderator status goes. I was being sarcastic. Sarcasm doesn't really go over very well on the net. No hard feelings I hope. I really respect you as a member of the forum.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm sorry I gave you the idea that I was on the noob's side as far as his self proclaimed moderator status goes.
This is a dead issue. Please don't try to provoke trouble with petty insults aimed at me but spoken to another. It's pretty much over already unless the mods decide to step in. Joe. L
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

The Mastiff wrote:This is a dead issue. Please don't try to provoke trouble with petty insults aimed at me but spoken to another. It's pretty much over already unless the mods decide to step in. Joe. L
I vote they make you a MOD!! Your so good! NOT!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
speyederlover

Post by speyederlover »

The Mastiff wrote:This is a dead issue. Please don't try to provoke trouble with petty insults aimed at me but spoken to another. It's pretty much over already unless the mods decide to step in. Joe. L

So does this mean you are stepping in again? :D
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

I'm about to step in... end it here. Civility goes a long way, so does turning the other cheek.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
JspyEDC

E-bay clowns...

Post by JspyEDC »

Manix Guy 2 wrote:Here is another thought concerning EBay hold back let the buffoons pay way out of line prices , they will later see the folly . These Delicas will mushroom later on the same site and sell for less . Please all be patient let the market absorb the inflation and circle like sharks later . I share everyones pain I too and playing a waiting game but for me Ebay clowns are not an option .
I don't see how you can question the integrity of a dealer who places a Delica ZDP-189 for a normal "auction", and lets the price escalate based on the will of the people doing the bidding. There is inherent risk involved there, in that there is no control over the final price, although there seems to be zero risk with the new Delica. I think what most knife knuts have a problem with are the instances where it has appeared a dealer has not honored his pre-orders. After seeing the buying frenzy created by the Sprint Run, he ends up participating in the frenzy, thereby screwing his customers who thought they had a Delica on order. Not a smart business decision IMO. Time will only tell for those types.

My question to you would be....How many Volpe's have you tried to sell at a profit? Not the easiest thing to do. Knife dealers have to make a profit to continue dealering knives to the public. NGK isn't getting 1200 Delica's, so you have to find one from someone, somewhere. It's your fellow knife freaks (all of us) who are controlling the price on this model. And the good news is.........DON'T YOU THINK SPYDERCO IS WATCHING THE FRENZY? MORE ZDP SURELY HAS TO BE ON THE WAY. SOUNDS LIKE A WIN-WIN TO ME!!!

Take care.
Spyderco Collector #162