Selling ZDPs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rogcohen

Selling ZDPs

Post by Rogcohen »

Just a quick question. Was looking on Ebay and I noticed there was someone selling 10 Delica ZDPs :eek: Are these dealers who realize the knives they were going to sell for $70 are now going for $150 and are out to fleece the consumers? Seems harsh that so many people who'd actually use the knife haven't been able to get one due to the price inflation :(

R
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: That's the downside of American capitalism. The d4 in vg-10 is a very nice knife with very nice steel. Honestly this past fiasco with the zdp-189 delica has soured me on sprint runs. I'd love to buy these knives but I won't be exploited by speculators. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
bh49

Post by bh49 »

After Jess Horn come out, I think price is going down. today D4 ZDP-189 was sold for $117. Jess Horn for $90.
In a few weeks second batch of six hundred Delicas will shipped. Than second batch of Jess Horn, than Lum Chinese and than Caly Jr and so on...
I think, everybody will be able to buy some ZDP blade at reasonable price.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
speyederlover

Post by speyederlover »

This is crap. I paid around $70 from NGK. At least NGK has some integrity!
JD Spydo

Hard cold facts> Marketing 101

Post by JD Spydo »

The hard cold facts about this ZDP surge we are witnessing is this. An item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it> Really that is the bottom line.

I do agree that there is some slimey wheeling and dealing on Ebay as well as other internet sources. I have already on many occasions voiced my extreme disapproval of those who sell knives on Ebay that they don't even have physical possession of the said item. I am sorry I think Ebay should ban such crap. I have a good friend who bought a Purple Salsa and paid for it right after the auction. She never got the knife, the seller never responded to her e-mails and she didn't get her money back for about 6 months after the fact.

And for anyone else selling these items when they don't even have them in stock is just down right unscrupulous. But as far as the auctions are concerned>> if the participants want to bid the item up that high and are willing to pay for it then I just don't see anything wrong with that.

This will all dissipate in due time. Market forces are no different that stocks & bonds, precious metals, currencies or any other commodity. But if a guy/gal wants one bad enough to bid it up to Mt. Everest then let them do it. :)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: That's the downside of American capitalism. The d4 in vg-10 is a very nice knife with very nice steel. Honestly this past fiasco with the zdp-189 delica has soured me on sprint runs. I'd love to buy these knives but I won't be exploited by speculators. :spyder:
I agree 100%.

It's a shame really. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
JD Spydo

Let them take the bait

Post by JD Spydo »

[quote="David Lowry"]I agree 100%.

It's a shame really. ]

But David don't you think it is sort of the consumers fault for falling into their trap. If people would just not pay the price the people doing it would quit doing it immediately. People buy stuff all the time with the expectation of making a profit on it. I'm not against ticket scalping either. If someone wants to go to a football game bad enough to pay $1000 for a ticket>> then all I got to say is>> that's where a fool's money ended up in the hands of a guy who was a bit smarter than that.

The way around that is to get your order into New Graham or any other great, above board dealer in advance so you won't be in a position to have to pay high prices for them. I would have never paid over $200 for either one of my ZDP-189 Calypso Juniors but a few people did. If someone wants one of mine bad enough to Paypal me $300 my extra one would go out in tomorrow's mail. Our whole economic system is about making a profit. What's totally more obscene than fliping a couple of pocket knives is what this criminal government is doing with gasoline and oil prices. That truly is totally rigged and we don't have a choice in that regard at all.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

JD Spydo wrote:But David don't you think it is sort of the consumers fault for falling into their trap. If people would just not pay the price the people doing it would quit doing it immediately. People buy stuff all the time with the expectation of making a profit on it. I'm not against ticket scalping either. If someone wants to go to a football game bad enough to pay $1000 for a ticket>> then all I got to say is>> that's where a fool's money ended up in the hands of a guy who was a bit smarter than that.

The way around that is to get your order into New Graham or any other great, above board dealer in advance so you won't be in a position to have to pay high prices for them. I would have never paid over $200 for either one of my ZDP-189 Calypso Juniors but a few people did. If someone wants one of mine bad enough to Paypal me $300 my extra one would go out in tomorrow's mail. Our whole system is about making a profit. What's totally more obscene than fliping a couple of pocket knives is what this criminal government is doing with gasoline and oil prices. That truly is totally rigged and we don't have a choice in that regard at all.
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!
How can you blame someone else for selling a knife above what you think it should be sold for, if you don't put a pre-order in for it? I can't complain if I didn't put an order in for one, and then the price jumps up, because it's a nice knife. Especially if I know only a certain amount are going to be produced. If I'm a seller, I don't expect to make 0% profit on it! If I ordered one for x price, then I don't have to worry about paying double what I should. I have yet to hear of a seller that expects to make a no profit on something. I don't sell on ebay, and rarely sell on other forums. I'm just saying, what do you expect?
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

JD Spydo,

Yeah I do agree with you also. It actually blows me away that people pay so much for the stuff.

I don't have anything against it I was just saying that I will not be caught up in the crazyness. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

What's totally more obscene than fliping a couple of pocket knives is what this criminal government is doing with gasoline and oil prices. That truly is totally rigged and we don't have a choice in that regard at all.

Please keep your political opinions out of this knife forum. There are places for that stuff. I sure don't want to hear it. Thanks. Joe L.
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

I don't really have a problem with the prices and people selling on ebay, but what I do have a problem is with distributors selling on ebay. They're supposed to supply from producer (spyderco) to us, and to buy ten or more knives from spyderco as a distributor and then to sell them at auction for more than the recommended retail price seems crooked. Maybe the guy just managed to buy 15 of them from someone, but somehow i doubt that considering how hard they were to get a hold of. Oh well, I just get the feeling there was some shady dealing going on. Distributors telling people they were on waiting lists while selling their knives off for more. That sort of thing...
R
speyederlover

Post by speyederlover »

The Mastiff wrote:Please keep your political opinions out of this knife forum. There are places for that stuff. I sure don't want to hear it. Thanks. Joe L.
Thanks for filling in for Taz Kristi while she is busy...
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

Rogcohen wrote:I don't really have a problem with the prices and people selling on ebay, but what I do have a problem is with distributors selling on ebay. They're supposed to supply from producer (spyderco) to us, and to buy ten or more knives from spyderco as a distributor and then to sell them at auction for more than the recommended retail price seems crooked. Maybe the guy just managed to buy 15 of them from someone, but somehow i doubt that considering how hard they were to get a hold of. Oh well, I just get the feeling there was some shady dealing going on. Distributors telling people they were on waiting lists while selling their knives off for more. That sort of thing...
R
Now, I agree with that 100%! Very good point!
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

It comes down to; for me, not buying "new models" off of ebay sellers. I don't mind buying older models, I don't even mind paying a premium for the rarer ones.
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Rogcohen wrote:I don't really have a problem with the prices and people selling on ebay, but what I do have a problem is with distributors selling on ebay. They're supposed to supply from producer (spyderco) to us, and to buy ten or more knives from spyderco as a distributor and then to sell them at auction for more than the recommended retail price seems crooked. Maybe the guy just managed to buy 15 of them from someone, but somehow i doubt that considering how hard they were to get a hold of. Oh well, I just get the feeling there was some shady dealing going on. Distributors telling people they were on waiting lists while selling their knives off for more. That sort of thing...
R
I feel the same. I know at least two dealers, who sold D4 ZDP on ebay. They are out of my list.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Ted

Post by Ted »

I don't think the second batch of 600 has shipped yet, so I'm pretty confident price will drop to $90-$100 on Ebay, maybe less. Only when the full 1200 are sold out, it will go up again.
The latest auction went for $117, buy-it-nows are at $149 and not many are selling. Regular auctions go to $130 or so. So, comparing to the $225 it started at some weeks ago, prices are dropping fast.
Patience is the key here!
Tim8557

Post by Tim8557 »

I placed a pre-order with a reputable online retailer last Fall....I was supposedly number 28. I still have no knife yet I had no problem going online with another dealer and getting one of the Jess Horns in ZDP for $69 in 3 days. No preorder, no nothing.

Maybe my "reputable" guys got lured into selling his allocation on EBay and the **** with the preorders.
Tim Dowling
"Remember, Amateurs built the Ark.....but Professionals built the Titanic !"
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

Tim8557 wrote:...I had no problem going online with another dealer and getting one of the Jess Horns in ZDP for $69 in 3 days. No preorder, no nothing.
me too -- i just went online and ordered one tuesday for $79.95 and got it wednesday. ebay is not the only source, but some people act (buy) as if it were.
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
eljay

Post by eljay »

Note that the Delica that went for $117 was from a guy too lazy to post a picture. I think that cost him about $15.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I want a ZDP-189 Delica really bad, but I won't pay the crazy asking prices I see. If I am unable to get one, so be it.

I agree that I think it is wrong if distributers are selling on Ebay at the inflated prices.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich