Request to Sal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

Request to Sal

Post by The Mastiff »

Sal, please consider this a request, not a suggestion. As a spyderco collector since the 1st generation Delica and Endura's I decided that due to money I had to specalize. Getting all the special models, heck, even just the complete line would be impossible for my income level. I began collecting the Endura and Delica lines specificly.

That means to me one each PE, CE, SE of every steel, sprint run etc. That's one of the reasons I went all out attempting to get the latest (spd-189) delica sprint run.

I was wondering how possible it would be to run one or two sprint runs specifically for the bread and butter models delica and or endura each year. After a certain amount a factory presentation case would also be available signed by Sal with documentation on the different steels used, etc. for people wanting to go that way. That would be a true collectable if the knives were desireable of course.

This of course wouldn't replace the other collectable models, just hopefully draw more people into collecting spyderco knives. Look at the phenomenal success of the SPD-189 Sprint run. ( I put in 30 hrs computer and phone before I got one, and would not have quit at 60 hrs if that's what it took.

For collectors you wouldn't even be limited to stainless. Also, how many BG42 delicas could you sell as opposed to millie BG42's for $250? How about CPM125V, R2, Then next reissue ATS55 models and Gin 1's as a retro for collectors. Next, 5200B and then M2? How many new coin collectors did the State quarter series inspire?

Just a hope and a dream Sal. BTW, I do have a bunch of other models too including Manix, military, Pacific Salt, Calypso, native, etc. The expensive ones I typically get around tax time. Thanks for listening. Joe
Zwaplat

Post by Zwaplat »

I'd rather want Spyderco to keep busy developing and producing original quality knives, instead of spending time on collection boxes.
The most fun about a collection, is the collecting. Going after the things, instead of waiting until somebody offers it on a silver plate, complete with a golden ribbon around it for your convenience.

n/o
Help science, join Folding@Home !

Post by 224477 »

Zwaplat wrote:I'd rather want Spyderco to keep busy developing and producing original quality knives, instead of spending time on collection boxes.
Ditto here, more new models!
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Zwaplat wrote:I'd rather want Spyderco to keep busy developing and producing original quality knives, instead of spending time on collection boxes.
The most fun about a collection, is the collecting. Going after the things, instead of waiting until somebody offers it on a silver plate, complete with a golden ribbon around it for your convenience.

n/o
Yup, me too!!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

You aren't reading my post or you didn't understand it. I was asking for new models, and didn't say anything about us collectors having to wait for new models.

The boxed sets comes from holding back twenty or so from each run and selling them as signed sets. This is a fairly common way of doing things in companies that make collectable items.....plates, sports cards, Case brand knives etc.

They are the ones that really retain and gain in value down the road. It's also typically a higher profit margin for the company on the boxed sets. These could be sold a year or two after we already have our knives, depending on how the company produces the runs of knives and decides to administrate the program. Joe
ronin203

Post by ronin203 »

Personnaly, I'd liek to see them re-release limited runs of some of the older designs that I was'nt smart enough to get the first time. I know this would lower the value of the ones collectors already have, but these would be carried by me from time to time. :spyder:
if you find yourself in a fair fight, you did'nt prepare well enough. .." Hock Hochiem"..:spyder: " An object at rest cannot be stopped". The evil bomber what bombs at midnight. ;) :spyder: :spyder:
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

ronin203 wrote:Personnaly, I'd liek to see them re-release limited runs of some of the older designs that I was'nt smart enough to get the first time. I know this would lower the value of the ones collectors already have, but these would be carried by me from time to time. :spyder:
:spyder: zdp-189 Shabaria! :) zdp-189 ayoob! :) zdp-189 Merlin plain edge gen 4! :) :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai

Post by 224477 »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: zdp-189 Shabaria! :) zdp-189 ayoob! :) zdp-189 Merlin plain edge gen 4! :) :spyder:

Mike, you´ve forgot the C54 BIG Calypso in ZDP189, laminated please... :D
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

S30v Walker :p
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
dialex

Post by dialex »

S30V Native! :eek: DOH! :rolleyes:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

VG10 double linered black G10(old school) Rookie :D
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

spydutch wrote:VG10 double linered black G10(old school) Rookie :D

Sounds pretty tempting.

What about its big brother, the G-10 Police?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mastiff,

Actually, we do hold out a small number of pieces, 10-20 of each model and we store them.

However, they are used in our monthly company meetings and given free to employees. A raffle deal.

Going back and re-running any of the early pieces would be difficult as the tooling has been changed as we refine the model.

I guess that's what makes them more collectable as they cannot be reproduced.

When we do a sprint run of a previous model, it's ususally a model for which we haven't changed tooling.

sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Thanks for responding Sal. I'd bet that's a popular benefit amongst the employees.

I figured that you wouldn't have the time, space or desire to run old models. Especially as the work that went in to the new models made them better knives.I was thinking more of say Delica 4's with a sprint run of ATS55. More importantly I know most of us would like more sprint runs like the delica SPD-189 with the high end/very high end steels. You pushed the exitement button with us consumers with that one. There are still more for us steel junkies to dream about though. Once again thanks for the response. My feeling is there is no harm in asking. I can only be told no eh? Good fortune to you always. Joe L.
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

sal wrote:
Actually, we do hold out a small number of pieces, 10-20 of each model and we store them.

However, they are used in our monthly company meetings and given free to employees.
Where do I send out my Curriculum Vitae ??? :D

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

The Mastiff wrote:Thanks for responding Sal. I'd bet that's a popular benefit amongst the employees.
My feeling is there is no harm in asking. I can only be told no eh? Good fortune to you always. Joe L.
It was a good request and we all learned a bit more about one of our favorite factories. Based on all the various responeses, you can see Mastiff that we all got our favorite pet ideas for sprints. Sal gets the fun job of picking one of those or inventing one of his own, then gets to watch the excitement and hopefully have a successful run. Welcome aboard the forums. :)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Thanks for the welcome Zenheretic. I'm not going to give up wishing and hoping as they are free :) . I'd personally hope for CPM125V, and/or CPM M4 ( I don't mind carbon steels at all).

Perhaps someday. Joe L.
JaM

Post by JaM »

I could use a D4 in H1 though... Although it isnt a rerun, it would certainly interest me.