Caly 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blades

Post by Blades »

Carlos wrote:If Sal is asking for scale opnions, then it isn't actually scheduled yet. I'd project it as a 2007 model.

Patience, patience. :) :)
Nobody probably cares now, but we waited 2+ years for the Chinese Folder to finally get into our grubby little paws. It was worth the wait. I am sure the new Caly will be worth the wait also. :) This year, next year or when ever it hits the shelves. :)

Blades
Clay Kesting

Memories

Post by Clay Kesting »

I remember, longest couple of years of my life :D .

G'day Blades, how are you? Good to see you up and about.

cheers,
clay
"The best boats are either small enough to carry home, or big enough to live on." Phillip C. Bolger (1927-2009)
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I kind of like that it’s not coming out for a year. This way I have more time to save up money. As for the handle scales a deep purple would be my vote, but probably not most people’s. For a more practical colour I would pick green.

And thanks again Sal for putting that adjustable pivot on it.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Carlos,

Not meaing to condradict, but I have a much earlier schedule planned.

Late summer, early fall.

sal
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

woohoo! great news, sal -- thanks!
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Thank you, That is great news. :) :) :) :) :) :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

sal wrote:Hi Carlos,

Late summer, early fall.

sal
Hello Sal,

Are you referring to the VG-10 version, or the ZDP version, I'm really hungry for Caly III updates! :D
sal

Post by sal »

The VG-10 version will come out first.

sal
Blades

Post by Blades »

Clay Kesting wrote:I remember, longest couple of years of my life :D .

G'day Blades, how are you? Good to see you up and about.

cheers,
clay

Clay,
Doing okay, thanks for asking. Today was my first day back to work for the whole day(10 hours). :) I had my 2nd small surgery last week, so I am still alittle sore, but doing good. :)
Just think, in a few more years we'll be telling the story of how we waited "2.5 years for a knife", and how "kids today have no patience", and "where's my pills, I need a pill" :D
later my friend,
Jason

Sal wrote:Hi Carlos,

Late summer, early fall.

sal
Mr. Glesser,
You can contradict anytime it comes to an earlier release of a knife. :)

Jason
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

sal wrote:Hi Carlos,

Late summer, early fall.

sal

Hi Sal,

I'm more than happy to be corrected/updated. FWIW, I was guesstimating on the ZDP variant.
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
brainus

Post by brainus »

As long as there are bolsters on the ZDP one, what's in it does not matter too much to me (though I would like to see a wood or carbon fiber). If I can send it somewhere to get the inlays replaced, I will be a happy camper.

I need this knife.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Brainus,

On the first ZDP version, my current leaning is peel-ply Carbon fiber which would probably eliminate the boslters as peel-ply can't be polished with the bolster.

Whatever we do, it will be nice.

sal
Bodieism

Post by Bodieism »

sal wrote:On the first ZDP version,
First ZDP version?!? Does that mean you are planning on making more than one ZDP version of the Caly III?
sal wrote:my current leaning is peel-ply Carbon fiber
Sweet :D
sal wrote:which would probably eliminate the boslters as peel-ply can't be polished with the bolster.
Not sweet :(

I would really, really like to see a bolstered verison. I would probably go for any handle material if its bolstered but blue or black for color would be preferable (an exotic wood would be cool to).
-- Bodie

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione!
b-elliott

Post by b-elliott »

Nice! Peel-ply CF will be simple but still high end. I'm excited.
-------------------------------------------------------

Brent Elliott :spyder:
Clay Kesting

Thanks Blades

Post by Clay Kesting »

Blades wrote:
"where's my pills, I need a pill"

Thanks for reminding me mate :) . That's the trouble with getting old, you need more pills but with short term memory loss you forget to take them :D . I'm glad to hear you're doing OK.

Not so keen on the peel ply, I was really looking forward to bolsters and some natural scales.

cheers,
clay
"The best boats are either small enough to carry home, or big enough to live on." Phillip C. Bolger (1927-2009)
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

How about bolsters and maple burl for the ZDP variant? ;)
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
tradja

Post by tradja »

[quote="Harry White"]How about bolsters and maple burl for the ZDP variant? ]Another great idea! I'm sure looking forward to both the VG-10 and ZDP versions after handling the production prototype at the Oregon show! FWIW, here's another hearty vote for a bolstered or unbolstered natural handle version.

Sweet.

The very appealing Caly 4 prototype, with wood scales and nickel (?) bolsters, is receiving less attention due to the excitement surrounding the Caly 3, but if the production Caly 4's feature a reversible pocket clip like the prototype, then I'm definitely getting a Caly 4 as well. A main reason I buy Spydies is that so many are lefty-friendly, and I sure hope the Caly 4 is also.
Blades

Post by Blades »

Clay Kesting wrote: Not so keen on the peel ply, I was really looking forward to bolsters and some natural scales.

cheers,
clay

Clay,
Have you handled the peel ply(grippy CF) Military?? If you can you need to see one in person. It is the best of both worlds, IMHO. The look of carbon fiber, with a better grip then G10.
Although I wouldn't mind seeing a maple burl handle, or a nice bubinga handle(plus I just like saying "bubinga"). :)

Blades
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Going back a little way, whatever you do, DON"T MAKE IT PURPLE!!! If you do, I'll have to buy 3 or 4, and I'll probably have to sell my car to raise the money :D
Clay Kesting

Post by Clay Kesting »

Blades,

No I've only seen pictures of the peel ply, not had the opportunity to handle it so I guess I shouldn't be too hasty to reject it :) . OTOH I am a bit of a traditionalist (getting worse the older I get) which makes it hard to give up the idea of bolsters and scales, even if they are "bubinga". My little bloke likes saying "cowabunga", is that something similar? :D

take care mate,
clay