Caly 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chris777

Post by chris777 »

sal wrote:Hi Buzzbait,

We think it's the finger choil. the general market doesn't like to get that close to the edge with their finger. Finger choils are considered an advantage to many that are "into" knives, but that is a smaller group.

sal
I had to chime in on this one. Until recently I had never seen one like on this knife until, I played with a Native at wally world. I didn't realize that the choil was meant to be part of the handle. I just thought that it was just part of the blade design. After researching some more I then realized it was meant to be part of the grip. Awesome, except 1 thing I want to be able to comfortably grip it both ways, something I suspect is highly possible with the Cally 3.

As for the mass market appeal of the blade choil, I went back and handled a delica, and almost slid my finger up on to the blade I wish every knife had that choil as a safety feature(at least folders, with no other guard built in).

Btw great knives, the more knives I've looked at, the more I am drawn to the spyderco's. Like many others, I also like function, and ergonomics over appearance, but the appearance grows on you.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Chris777,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Whether of not "both grips" are possible depends on the size of the model. Knives like the Millitary do that well, although many complain about "blade/handle ratio" not being eye appealing.

sal
Plowboy

Post by Plowboy »

chris777 wrote:
I went back and handled a delica, and almost slid my finger up on to the blade I wish every knife had that choil as a safety feature(at least folders, with no other guard built in).

Chris777, If you are used to the choil it's easy to nearly put your finger on the blade. I catch myself nearly doing this too often.

And I like you find myself more drawn into Spyderco. I've even tried to be unfaithful, but I simply can't find anything that suits me as well. I am so darn picky that I never find a knife that's exactly what I want, but Spyderco comes the closest.

:)
If you carry either a knife or firearm, please abide by the law and be respectful. We all represent each other.

Let's unite to preserve and expand our legal rights. Please join:

KnifeRights (http://www.kniferights.org) and NRA (http://www.nra.org)

:)
catamount

Post by catamount »

I'd like to see dark blue or green G10 or micarta on the ZDP version. Most anything that isn't black would be okay, though ;)
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
tomtom

Post by tomtom »

i have to say i dont think that jigged bone or wood suite any spyderco modle i have seen the traditional is not a market i see spyderco as part of.. it suits the super functional designs which come out of the spyderco factory to use the most up to date materials around IMHO. i have traditional style knives with traditional materials but its a spyderco i carry everyday.

something with a non threataning colour/texture/look to it would be great!

still very interested in a time scale..

TT :) :spyder:
scolby

Post by scolby »

"ABBBBB"

Anything but black or blue or bone or with bolsters.

Generally, Spyderco knives are so thick that bolsters add weight without substance. The finishing is problematic. My standards are pretty high, so I may be in the minority but look at the new Bradshaw lockback done by Browning (don't know who actually manufactured the knife) very thin profile, just like Bradleys knives.

Bone looks great when done by the old timers, most modern factory treatments are too monotone.

Black micarta or G-10 - we all have enough of these.

Other micarta - tends to be slippery when polished, although the grip should be might good enough on this one.
Other G-10 - sounds good to me, if textured.

I really don't like FRN handles, but frankly, the "fishscale" texture on the FRN Calypso Jr. is one of my very favorite knife handle treatments, ever.

I think I would vote for translucent G-10 if you can make it work.
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur
bh49

Post by bh49 »

My vote for G10, may be two colors. no micarta, please
R
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Native Justice

Post by Native Justice »

Also a vote here for G10. Preferably a thinner scale treatment to keep it light in the pocket with a less aggressive surface treatment. :D
Django

Post by Django »

I would get this knife if it had olive drab G-10. Black G-10, probably not. It would be too similar to my Ocelot.
----------------------------
----------------------------
SoCal Operator

release date?

Post by SoCal Operator »

This thread seems to be the right place to ask; does anyone know when the Caly III is slated to be released?
*Edit to add* I'd like to see some colored G-10 as well. Green would be nice, as there have been multiple blue and red handled knives.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Just black G10, fully serrated :o :D
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
b-elliott

Post by b-elliott »

My vote would be for a green G-10 or macarta. Maybe a canvas macarta or the same color as the little temp. I would also go for a grippy carbon fiber or any type of wood. I'm excited, this could be "The" knife! Would that be knifeogamy? Who am I kidding, I'm just not a one knife man :eek:
-------------------------------------------------------

Brent Elliott :spyder:
Kn00b

Post by Kn00b »

I dunno, I know this puts me in the minority but the thing that originally drew me to the Caly3 was the simplicity. Looks like a nice low-key, simply designed, user to me, and I'll jump at one when they become available.

I'm a bit of a performance nut when it comes to pretty much anything, so I'd pay for a ZDP version. But, in my case, if the ZDP version takes away from that low-key simplicity, I probably wouldn't pick one up. :eek:

I know this might get me lynched in this thread, but I don't have nearly the interest in a funky color handled Caly3 or a slippier gents version Caly3 as I would in the simple Caly3 pictured... only with ZDP.

Just thought I'd chime in with my minority opinion: Keep the Caly3 design as is, and offer a ZDP blade as a 'performance option'. :spyder:
Whoever said you can't buy happiness must not have had to pay for their Spyderco's. :spyder:
Bodieism

Post by Bodieism »

sal wrote:The ZDP version will more than likely be bosltered with a scale material. We can use black micarta or ? It's an "affy" modely. You're the "affy". :p

whaddayouwant?

sal
Does that mean it will have stainless steel handles with an inlayed scale material like on the Kopa?

Edit:

Nevermind - http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
-- Bodie

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

[quote="SoCal Operator"]This thread seems to be the right place to ask]

If Sal is asking for scale opnions, then it isn't actually scheduled yet. I'd project it as a 2007 model.
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
Cameron23

Post by Cameron23 »

:(

Rats.

C :spyder:
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
-Abraham Lincoln,
LJK

Post by LJK »

Wow! that 2007 post by Carlos sucked all the engery out of this thread :D The Caly 3 does sound like the perfect EDC for me also. Now the waiting begins.
redhawk44p

Post by redhawk44p »

2007 :eek: :mad: That really soaks.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

2007 is a big; no this is a huge disappointment for me. :( :( :( :( :(
R
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I think that the 2007 run date is refering to the ZDP srpint run with a different scale.

Isn't the regular black Caly III schedule for this summer still?