Bram Frank

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
argyll

Post by argyll »

Hey, I'm just basing this on what I read in public forums, but it seems that Bram tends to go off half-cocked at times, and I get the impression that he has burned some bridges. The Strider guys likewise seem to have their own sometimes abrasive "personal style." If you search out some their comments to the public, on public forums, you'll know what I mean.

None of this has anything to do with the respective merits of their products. I'd be happy to see them get together, I'm just predicting that the public meltdown would be spectacular.

Best regards,

Argyll
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit -- Ovid (He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

argyll wrote:None of this has anything to do with the respective merits of their products. I'd be happy to see them get together, I'm just predicting that the public meltdown would be spectacular.
That is a good point. Ah well, it was a cool idea. :p
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-

Post by 224477 »

ront wrote:I have heard from, who I believe is a fairly reliable source, that the Gunting will most likely be produced in the future by Columbia River Knife and Tool company.

Ron

I just hope it wont be in 420 bladesteel and zytel scales over 420 interframes... :rolleyes:
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Meltdowns make for fun reading, remember the S'narc/Reardon-self-defence forum meltdown? :p wowsers. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

How did I miss the Snarc meltdown post? I bet that was ugly.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

224477 wrote:I just hope it wont be in 420 bladesteel and zytel scales over 420 interframes... :rolleyes:
That's the exact thing I was worried about.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

Halfneck wrote:How did I miss the Snarc meltdown post? I bet that was ugly.
:spyder: So ugly the entire exchange was purged and deleted. :spyder:

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

Gentlemen:
Thank you for all the support and belief in the Gunting..
Very flattering..
I have nothing to say About Spyderco. I doubt I'm welcome up here.
Though I still have a few friends @ Spyderco.
This will be my last posting here. No need to upset the folks @ the WEB..

but to set the record straight:
without reading tone, intent, emotion into what's written..or reading and making things up between the lines...
Spyderco made me a very good product. That's over. End of story...
As for others not being able to do it right? that's incorrect...
Just cause its got a spyder that looks like a fat tick on it doesn't mean great..its just a knife like any other...some good some bad..that's reality...
For example: Spyderco's Ed Schempps stuff ROCKS!...Ed is the father of San Mai damascus..and his customs are some of the best knives in the world..
His production Spydies are fine.
Mike Janich & his family are family friends of mine..nuff said.
The Abaniko is by Ontario per se, but actually made by the same company as makes TOPS knives. It's been battlefield tested. It's passed with flying colors in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, Philippines...My teams are doing their jobs with Abanikos in hand as they say...
customs are available and made by Rob Newton of Spokane WA.
Ontario RTAKs, SPEC Plus etc bear use very well..as does the Ontario Bayonet...1095 doesn't go out of style. It just keeps on going and does its job well. From hunting, work and of course killing bad guys.
The Gunting is a family of folding knives utilizing my Design & Utility patents: Kinetic Opening & Indexing..Yes there's a specific knife the Gunting and its undergoing some improvements..Lots of Military & LE use have taught me a bit of cool things to improve a bit on...
Yes its coming from some other company..nuff said.
Yes there's a Lapu Lapu fixed blade from STRIDER, a member of the Abaniko family fixed blades..based on my design and originally executed by the late Rob Simonich..and a corresponding Gunting family folder shown @ IWA 2006..being made by Chersuker Messer...the Lapu Lapu Corto which will come in mini, standard and Military magnum sizes..its in Messer & Cakliber Magazines...
They use my own design of lock. nuff said.
**** I even did the impossible: signed a licensing agreement with a Taiwan Company: my Submarine Tactical just came out..it's 1/4 inch and cuts really well..sure its an Abaniko Family style knife..more to follow in that family...
As to going off half cocked..I'll politely say thats a bold faced lie as they say. I have never gone off cocked @ all..To the contrary I might be one of the most PC people around...I have been challenged insulted etc and walked away...Have I ever defended my designs or training online? yup PC and all..of course some people can't see out of the paper bag on their head so it makes it hard to hear and see what's really going on..
There's a lot of people that go off half cocked but you just named the wrong one...you got me confused with the "other guy"
Watch what you think you say and know..assuming or gossip could come back to bite you.
As for doing business with the STRIDERs and my relationship with them. They are very dear personal friends of mine. We have personal time,teaching & projects together. I would defend their backs @ all times as they do mine.
As for Benchmade. I've known Les & Roberta for many, many years..with great respect.
As for CRKT, again I've known the guys there for many years with great respect...and contrary to the comments written here they make very good to great products. They work in and under duress..if you call over -the-pond work a good testing ground..
As for where things are really made: I suggest you look past the hole into reality. You might be suprised what comes from where.
When I was young being made in Japan was bad..Then it was great..Then same with Korea..Don't make the same mistake with China or Taiwan..
Many daily products actually come from there. We have an offset trade deficit with them its so great...

So in closing..again..thanks guys for the support.
Thanks Spyderco for making my knife.
Watch for my new knives..
So any of you who want to be "the good knife guys"..Come play with me the first weekend in May 5-6 for the Commandments of Steel in Tel Aviv, Israel..then off to May 20-21 Venice, Sicily, June 8-12 Nuremberg Germany, June 14-18 Brevard NC, and ...July 3-28 Manila..and Bohol...( yes both are in the Philippines)
Or if you are still playing With Battle rattle on, check and see if I'm coming to a Base near you. You know what channels to check on.

be safe

Bram
The Nose

Post by The Nose »

Thank you Bram for your answer, the german company of your new folder is called Cherusker, I think, the owner ist the wife of the german main dealer of Busse knives.
Can you explain a german what's indexing?
CU
Michael
http://www.michael-kautz.de

"...and don't forget to laugh on the mat!"
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

The Nose wrote:Can you explain a german what's indexing?
CU
Michael
:spyder: Usually indexing means spinning the knife to change grips. :spyder: