The Much Maligned Herbst

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Brian_Turner

The Much Maligned Herbst

Post by Brian_Turner »

Seeing the Peter Herbst popping up frequently on the "cull" list, I have to wonder how many folks have handled the newly redesigned Herbst. I received mine a month ago, and was floored at the improvement. It's a good steel, the handle is extremely comfortable, and the styling is very, well, stylish!

It's a great knife for staying below the 3" mark, without heading into "mini-knife" territory. It's actually been my most carried Spyder since receiving it.

If your image of the Herbst still includes the blue lines, you're out of date. Check out the new Herbst, and I think you might be pleasantly surprised, as I was.
Ed Gordon

Post by Ed Gordon »

I have wanted one of the original models since I first saw them and am anxiously awaiting the availability of one of the "new" ones in plain edge. Is the handle material still Ti or is it now aluminum? Also, do you know where these are available?
These look great to me, I would hate to see them "axed" before they were even given a chance...Ed.
br44

Post by br44 »

Love my old one and have handled the new one. It's very nice also.
Brian_Turner

Post by Brian_Turner »

Ed - The handles are aluminum.
ftkinney

Post by ftkinney »

I don't own one but it looks beutifull.

FTK
cerulean

Post by cerulean »

Is this latest version of the Herbst also made in Germany? I think the first one was, but since the latest version has an ATS-55 blade, I was wondering if it might be made in Japan.

Cool looking knife, BTW. I was thisclose to buying the first version, but I might have to go ahead and get the latest one.
Clay Kesting

Post by Clay Kesting »

Yes I believe it is being made in Seki City. IIRC ther were problems with quantities and/or QC from Germany and the decision was made to change manufacturers. I think there were also some subtle changes to the design.

Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow, in Australia it's tomorrow already.
Brian_Turner

Post by Brian_Turner »

Yup. Blade says Seki City...