Airport Security Idiot

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
formula44

Post by formula44 »

I have heard of people not being allowed to carry a nailfile onto an airplane. Seems how much steel you can carry on board is subject to change depending on how nervous the airlines are. A Delica might be OK by FAA rules, but the individual airlines could have stricter rules.
P.S. Metal detectors detect all metals, not just iron and steel.
fannin

Post by fannin »

From what I understand the FAA rules limit blades to less than 4". The seration obsession was picked up by the individual airlines. I was told that at some seminar on safety a supposed expert showed how he could, "saw metal", with it. I've checked knives at several airports here and abroad. Seems like the ones I leave in my carry on just get scanned and thats it. I've only been questioned twice concerning a knife. Once was by the secret service at a presidential event at the university. I was carrying a full size rescue. After showing my ID and a few questions they passed me. The other was at CNN headquarters. They made me leave it with the guard. Go figure. I think that the new delica blue in plain edge will be a good carry knife though.
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Does airport Security actually allow people on the aircraft carrying knives?, reason I ask is because Im going to be flying to another city at the end of June and always have my Matriarch clipped firmly to my side, and Im not to impressed with the idea of leaving it in my luggage since I dont trust airport staff in this country (or any other bar Singapore,lol)
Was wondering if you guys reckon they'd let me though onboard with the Matriarch.

Many thanx

MaNcEr

It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Matriarch? They say that all things are possible, but that one's way, way down the list towards unlikely. Plain edge, under 3" is your best bet.

Dave
earthworm

Post by earthworm »

Y'all ain't gonna like my practice,but whenever I fly I leave my good knives @ home & buy a cheapie when I arrive.Beats all the hassles & loss of good steel.
cockroachfarm

Post by cockroachfarm »

No argument from me, earthworm. I often do the same thing. Getting into an argument with these security nimrods (and perhaps losing a good knife) is not worth the trouble just to make a point.
Ewok

Post by Ewok »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=1 face=arial>quote:<hr height=1 noshade>Are all Spyderco clips made of metal? <hr height=1 noshade></BLOCKQUOTE></font><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2> No, some of the FRN (plastic) handle models had integral clips of the same material. I think they're great, but SpyderCo doesn't do them anymore.
earthworm

Post by earthworm »

Two alternatives to my'buy a cheapie on arrival'post are:
1.Find a knifeshop @ your location & purchase a duplicate of the knife you left @ home & be prepared to sacrifice it when you fly home.One might take it to the airport & ask:if it goes home with you great;if not...The obvious drawback is expense:I for one cannot afford a new Spydie each time I fly!*G*
2.Ship the knife or knives to your destination.You can do this by shipping to a trusted friend @ your destination or to 'General Delivery:Hold Until Called For'.Drawbacks are obvious:cost,inconvience,possible loss.
I'd reserve these two suggestions for extended stays or special trips; say an African safari.
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

Ok use common sense..LOL..get a travel SPYDERCO..thats right a deddicated travel knife...like...
Navigator
Co Pilot
Cricket
Mouse
whatever..
check your other favorite knife IF you really need to have it in your check in baggage....Then carry the ultra small travel SPYDERCO with you..I mean how big a kife do you need to open those stupid bags of peanuts, cut out an advertisement from the magazine or cut your seat belt...ROFL...

Its not worth arguing with the people in airport security..they don't know and they 're not paid enough to care....

As for carrying a KUBATON..its i;l;egal in airports and many other places..Its officially an LEO tool and its actually called by name as an unacceptable tool to be carried in airports or onto the planes..

See ya..Travel safely..
Oh by the way EUROPE is very different than we are..NO knives @ all in England..NONE..
check carefully before you travel.. I carry the smallest one possible and before i go through security its with a bunch of other metal....
We (Spyderco)were just in Germany and they took a Navigator from me in Frankfurt..going..not coming back..go figure..
Once in Frankfurt they held me up for 45 minutes discussing my leatherman II...
jamafa

Post by jamafa »

Hi, I have just bought my first Spyderco and saw this last post in the forum.

The chances are that you may get your knife into the UK but you may not get it out again.

The UK laws on knives are thus:
Offensive Weapons - Any Person who, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, the proof whereof lies with him, has with him in any public place, any offensive weapon, is guilty of an offence.
Points and Blades - It is an offence for any person to have with him in a public place, an article which is sharply pointed or with a blade, OTHER THAN A FOLDING POCKET KNIFE WITH A BLADE NOT EXCEEDING THREE INCHES (7.7CM) without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, the proof whereof lies with him, is guilty of an offence.

Basically, keep it short and simple, and obviously a pocket knife. A Harpy may be just less that 3" but it will look offensive to our Police. You can bet a conviction on that.

Knives, of whatever size will have to be put in carry on with any other non-leathal metal objects you may be carrying. Alternatively you can get them to box it up and put it in the cargo to pick up when you disembark.

Don't go flashing you knife, of whatever size, around too much. Be cautious and you will be ok.

**** good knives though!
coldsteel

Post by coldsteel »

A couple of years ago, while flying out of Casper WY. a fellow hunter had put his hunting knife in his carry on. It was a fixed blade, probably about a six inches or so. Airport security made a really big deal about it. They took him a side, demanded to know what he planned on doing with the "weapon" while on board. They then called the local sheriff, who finally talked some sense into the security people. Explaining to them, that this guy was just a hunter, who didn't realize that he shouldn't be carring the knife on the plane. They finally let him board the plane, which was delayed from take off for about a half hour. Then the poor guy had to then endure some nasty looks and mutterings from some of the passengers that were going to miss their connections in Salt Lake because of the hold up he caused...Coldsteel
scoobydoo

Post by scoobydoo »

I guess, after reading all of these posts about un-informed airline security, and the recent release of "Hannibal," I wouldn't be a real big hit carrying my SS Harpy with the fully serrated edge on board any planes, huh?

jeremy

They actually PAY me for this??
yog

Post by yog »

Just to bring Jamafa up to date.
The UK law was amended in the last couple years. The 4" folder rule has gone out the window. Now it is any object that is "deamed" to be an offensive weapon.
This has probably come about because of the fashion of football hooligans carrying stanley knives with their 1" blades. The upshot is that you can be arreseted for carrying a sharpend pencil as long as the arresting officer deams it an offensive weapon.
Common sence says I should be alright with my Laydybird on my key ring. But my serrated Military might be pushing it ;-))
clipiteer

Post by clipiteer »

The mini police necklace or tie clip shouldn't violate even the strictest airport security regulations, but it might be a little small.
ftkinney

Post by ftkinney »

i think that i sould sit down and design the least offencec wepon possible: straight flat grind blunt rounded tip with a bright "barbie pink" handle emblazonded with a hello kitty sticker. actually the way 90% of the people looking at the handle allone would not even ask to open it. and you could a double lock back with a Chinook on one side and a fully suraded harpy on the other. but then again who would whant to carry that pink handle any way.

FTK
ftkinney

Post by ftkinney »

my computer said that there was some posting problem and it told me to go back and renter the infomation so i did sorry about the many many multiple posts
FTK

Edited by - ftkinney on 5/22/2001 1:11:49 PM
ftkinney

Post by ftkinney »

Edited by - ftkinney on 5/22/2001 1:12:20 PM
ftkinney

Post by ftkinney »

Edited by - ftkinney on 5/22/2001 1:13:57 PM