Which one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clipiteer

Which one?

Post by clipiteer »

I'm having trouble deciding what my next Spyderco will be. I can only get one right now and am trying to keep it under $80. I don't want anything smaller than a Cricket, and have narrowed it down to theese:

1)Native Lightweight (plainedge)

2)Calypso Jr. with stainless handle (plainedge)

3)Cricket with almite handle (spyderedge)

4)Remote Release (partially serrated)

Any suggestions are appriciated.

Edited by - clipiteer on 5/23/2001 2:10:30 PM
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I have a cricket, almite/serrated.
I love the tip amount, and use this knife daily. With it's size, it replaced my Delica as EDC.

I plan to pick up a Native(the Golden, Colorado one), to use for camping.

Get the cricket now, they are **** hard to find, get a Native after when the cash is there again.
mundele

Post by mundele »

This isn't one of your choices, but you'll thank me. Get the Calypso Jr. Lightweight (FRN). It is an excellent knife. Super sharp out of the box. Could you ask for anything better?

--Matt
Paul Work

Post by Paul Work »

The Native is one of the best designs for EDC I've found. Very hard to go wrong with this one.

Paul
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

Am hung up on the choice between the FRN Native and the Calypso Jr. Am leaning pretty hard towards the latter, but really would like to be able to say I own a knife with 400V steel.

Joe Talmadge has posted more than once his strong feelings about the Calypso Jr, and it's unique position in the knife world. He and others have stated strongly that the Calypso Jr is a cutting fool. And, it has VG-10, a steel which many owners rave about. It, by the way, is apparently the first choice of blade steel for Jeff Randall, of deep jungle fame.

Still, I really like the looks of the Native. But, more than one person has declared vehemently that the ergos are all wrong for their hand(s).

So, guess I'd recommend the Calypso Jr.

Stare
Jeff/1911

Post by Jeff/1911 »

Clipiteer,

As you probably are aware, the Calypso Jr. lightweight and s/s models use quite different steels. Both have their desined purpose I suppose, but the flat-ground VG-10 used in the lightweight version is widely raved about. Of course, it's very important that you LIKE the knife chosen, and if you really want a stainless model, then the lightweight version may not appeal to you.

Anyway, they (Calypso lightweight Jr.) are supposedly phenomenal knives. Of the list you gave, my choice would be the Native.

Jeff/1911.
ftkinney

Post by ftkinney »

is it possible to get the flat grind VG-10 blade with a ss handle?

FTK
clipiteer

Post by clipiteer »

Jeff/1911,
The reason I like the stainless handle better is because of the heft. But, AUS 8 is a far cry from VG10. If they made it with the stainless handle and VG10 blade, as ftkinney was wondering, then that would be my choice. But if they don't, I guess I'd pick the lightweight for the VG10 blade.(or maybe even the big Calypso)

clipiteer

Edited by - clipiteer on 5/23/2001 2:42:39 PM

Edited by - clipiteer on 5/23/2001 2:43:44 PM
clipiteer

Post by clipiteer »

Thanks to everyone who replied. After hearing so many recomendations and no complaints about it, I have decided to go with the Calypso Jr. Lightweight.