Life or death encounter

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Hmmmmmmmm, I been thinking long and hard since my last post, to be honest it depends, if its a big ugly snarling monster of a dog, Id go for the Matriarch since its light, easy to get out and good good slashing in that kind of situation, but that I think would be for a distance attack, as in the dogs still at arms reach, if its ontop, Id say you wanna punch n stab, then the one would be the Gunting for sure with that spear shaped blade.

Oh well, hehe

Hard one for sure

seeya

MaNcEr

It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
Mark1955

Post by Mark1955 »

MaNcEr--

I'm Talking about a dog like a pit bull they don't stay at arms length.They come right at you without hesitation and grab part of you and don't let go.They are tough and don't feel pain. In my humble opinion you would have to have a knife with stabbing abilities and one that would be very difficult to dislodge from your grip.Plus lets say you stab this animal between the ribs you would want a knife that has a stong blade because if the dog twist it's body it could snap the blade off.
Mark

Edited by - Mark1955 on 5/10/2001 8:16:30 AM
Tightwad

Post by Tightwad »

Any kind of self defense is a combination of several things, training,, equipment , determination, and
a good bit of luck to succeed. Or at least come out alive,wounded maybe but alive. This can get really
gritty at times when hand to hand combat is necessary. Really gritty. For those who have never
experienced hand to hand I hope they never do. You never forget it. As to which spyderco knife?
Any with a sharp blade of about 4" will do. Remember the determination factor. When hand to
hand starts your choices of what to use narrow very fast. Take care.
bladebroker

Post by bladebroker »

Training, equipment & determination. I couldn't agree more and remember that goes for the attacker too. If your talking about a working dog they train every day with equipment they were born with and their single minded determination is remarkable.

If a dog like this decides he wants a piece of you, you may survive to tell about it but its unlikely you will do so without injury.

Terry Prichard
http://stores.andale.com/bladebroker
Allen E. Treat

Post by Allen E. Treat »

Dear Mark1955;
For the type of situation you
describe I'd have to say the Gunting ( you
may also want the "trainer" version, as well). I would recommend carrying "pepper"
spray as this is a "non lethal" alternative and does work. It'll save you hefty court fee(s) usually related to
"Justifiable lethal force".

Good luck !

Sincerely,

A.E.T.
clipiteer

Post by clipiteer »

Definitely the Calypso fully serrated. If you're looking for something still in production, maybe an Eduard Bradichansky Shabaria or a JD Smith. All have have Mircata handles though, which may prove a bit slippery as The Stare mentioned. Also, I don't think I would mind using lethal force on a dog, and you could outrun an attacker.

Edited by - clipiteer on 5/23/2001 2:02:22 PM
clipiteer

Post by clipiteer »

Edited by - clipiteer on 5/23/2001 2:01:39 PM
tbarahon

Post by tbarahon »

Speed and a OC can. It is not a good idea to confront a dog. If it is trained, it will go or for the crotch of for the neck, in any case, ignoring or pushing away arms or legs. I know what I am talking about, my grandpa had a kernel and used to train Dobermans. If the dog is as close as blade length you will get bitted
clipiteer

Post by clipiteer »

"Speak softly and carry a big stick"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ric, welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Mark. by "Point & shoot", I mean no training, just a natural reaction.

first of all, cutting some one with a knife means leegal problems as the very minimum. Attempted murder would be the charge. Spray is a good idea.

second, dogs are not all the same. A trained dog is going to present more of a problem than an untrained dog. A major slash or 2 or 10 (with no breaks between cuts) will make even the toughest dog feel pain. A stick or spray is still a better choice as it is not likely to kill the dog.

sal
Muel

Post by Muel »

I wouldn't kill a dog, but a robber? Yes i would carry the biggest legal spyderco available.
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

Mark1955 -- if you're still reading this thread, meant to say something earlier, which I forgot: I'd suggest you read "Master of the Blade" by Richard Ryan. I've only read one other book on knife fighting, and in my opinion, Ryan is far better than the other.

IMHO, if a person is threatening to assault me, and displays a weapon, or is in the act of assaulting you with a weapon, the only attitude likely to result in your survival is that you must kill that person, or at a minimum make it impossible for him/her to make any further threatening gestures with that weapon. I believe a single-minded intent to destroy the person is the most logical, and ultimately, the safest stance for you to take.

Got my Wegner yesterday. Too soon to give it an effective review. I can say that I like it a lot, and that it has wonderful slashing ability. The blade is so thick that I'm not convinced that stabbing will prove to be its forte. In my simple mind, stabbing should occupy the large majority of efforts one makes to survive if under attack. So, guess I'll have to devise some thrusting/stabbing tests for the Wegner and a couple other of my knives. The Wegner is no doubt very strong, very sharp, and has a good point. So, it may do just fine. Am awfully tempted to go looking for a the large Calypso. Got the Jr today, and it is a thing of awe. If the big one can cut like it, and stab effectively, it has to be a real winner.

Stare
Knife Dude

Post by Knife Dude »

Don't think I'm crazy, but I would carry a smaller knife like the Endura or the Delica because it would be easier to conceal.
GronK

Post by GronK »

I'd want to be carrying my new Blackhawk. It has plenty of belly to the blade for skinning the critter after I empty a magazine of 9mm into it. Should make a nice coat!

Just 'cause yer paranoid don't mean someone ain't out ta getcha
earthworm

Post by earthworm »

I'll second clipteer's & KnifeDude's posts:
3-' of good seasoned hickory(the'Alabama Lie Detector')in the hand & a Delica or even a Merlin in the pocket.I'll not speak of .45's in fannypacks or .38's in IWB hoilsters*BEG*.
Pepper spray is very nice as a nonlethal option & seemingly quite efective.
earthworm

Post by earthworm »

Corrections: that should read"3-4'of seasoned hickory",&"holsters".Sorry:been a long day*G*.