Manix Washers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bullwhip

Manix Washers

Post by Bullwhip »

I've had my Manix for a few months now and while it is the absolute best folder I have ever owned I'm a little annoyed by the slight lateral blade play. I'm thinking of removing the Bronze washers in order close that gap between the blade and the liner. Has anyone done this and had success? Is removing the washers advisable? I don't want to ruin it.

Thanks.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I am no expert, nor am I familiar with that particular model, but in general i have to say 2 words - BAD IDEA.
Those washers are there for a good reason. I suspect removing them would make your problem worse. It sounds like either a pivot tension adjustment is in order, or (worst case) a VERY slightly thicker washer is needed.
bowarrow2000

Post by bowarrow2000 »

Adjust the pivot screw first, apply a little lube and try it out. If you still have
play contact Warranty & Repair, they do great work,
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

how would removing the washers fix the problem?
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

You shouldn't have a gap between the blade and the liner, Spyderco washers are extremely thin, and shouldn't contribute to a gap at all. If you have a gap as you describe, try tightening the pivot until the gap is gone. You should be able to remove the gap and still be able to easily open/close the blade.

If that doesn't work, send it in to Spyderco for a spyderspa.

I'd take apart and see if theres extra washers in there(occasionally happens) or replace them with thinner washers(not as easy) but that would void the warranty, which I'm perfectly happy doing, but I don't recommend it.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Bullwhip

Gap

Post by Bullwhip »

Thanks for your replies...

It's just a fact that no matter how thin those washers may be they still take up a sliver of space between the blade and the liner/scales. If you look at the butt of the knife there is this practically no line showing between the liner and the steel that makes up the center of the handle. But as you travel up the back of the handle towards the blade you'll see that micro-gap become more pronounced due to the presence of those two washers. And because of their size there is a tiny fulcrum that allows the ever so slight side to side movement of the blade. Tightening the pivot screw can only do so much. If I tighten the pivot screw any more than I currently have it the blade will be immoble and close.

So my primary question is this, are the two washers really necessary? Also, how would removing them adversely affect the life span and performance of the knife?
Buzzbait

Post by Buzzbait »

Removing the washers should remove some blade play, at the cost of making the knife MUCH harder to open without a ton of lubrication. The excess lubrication would make for a very messy knife. Also, without the washers, the blade will probably end up wearing away the liners, creating blade play in the future.

It's a much better idea to just stick with the washers. They are there for a reason.
HoB

Post by HoB »

smcfalls13 wrote:You shouldn't have a gap between the blade and the liner, Spyderco washers are extremely thin, and shouldn't contribute to a gap at all.
Is that true for the new PB washers aswell? That definitely used to be true for the Nytralon washers. I have only seen one model with PB washers and there was a pretty pronounced gap.....which is part of my beef with the PB washers.

I concure with the others: DO NOT remove the washers, there are much better ways to get rid of the bladeplay. If you can't get rid of the bladeplay by tightening the pivot without the action getting too stiff, then the lockbar bolt is tightend too much. I attached a very rough sketch that I made a while back to illustrate this.
Attachments

[The extension doc has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Andre V

Post by Andre V »

I had the same problem with my manix, as it turn out my lock bar pivot was too tight. Try loosening both of them up, and tighten each a bit until the blade play is gone. IMO dont replace/ remove the washers
"So many knives, so little pockets"
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I agree, do not remove washers. Washers are a good thing.
The gap is not so large on Spyderco's, see the large gap on some knives as in Benchmade, etc.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

HoB wrote:Is that true for the new PB washers aswell?
Not sure what thickness PB washers Spyderco uses, but I replaced the washers on my Dodo with very thin PB washers, and theres no gap between the scales.

The washers need to be .005 inches or smaller. I tried .010 and there was a gap.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Bullwhip

Solid

Post by Bullwhip »

I ended up going against the popular consensus (sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do) and removed the bronze washers from my Manix. No, I didn't replace them with thinner ones. My Manix now has no washers at all. The results? There is absolutely no blade play what so ever in any direction. When it locks into place I would swear that I'm holding a fixed blade. Completely solid! Now I have no idea if this will be a long term detriment to the knife but I guess I'll find out. In the mean time, I am completely happy with the results. Just thought you all would like to know.
HoB

Post by HoB »

Well, a man's got to do what a man's got to do :) .

Hey, if it works,...never argue with sucess.